Hancock of the day...

So, for the past month, I've been working at 500 Harrison Ave in an office. Each day around noon, I take a camera photo of the view out the window.

Today was my last day. Back to real estate.

I thought there would be more of a "wow" factor to these, but, alas, no. Still, a worthy idea.

Click on image or link for a slideshow of 26 days in the life of the John Hancock Tower.

http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/...k Boston Tower - 28 Days/?albumview=slideshow

If you did it everyday and sped it up it might be cool (it still is a cool idea.)

Nice work John. It makes me hate the Clarendon even more - and thanks to this board I keep seeing a dollar $ sign.

ablarc - he said it was around noon, you can tell the relative time of day in many of the shots from the shadow that the Clarendon casts on 500 Boylston.

Every day you took a picture, and every day it showed the Clarendon was still there. What's that quote again about insanity... something about repetition and expecting a different result?

I'm surprised I never posted this one

IMG_2297.jpg

Any luck on this? I can try it one night this week with a digital camera. I tried it with a camera phone; the trouble wasn't the crappy quality, it was that few cars go in this entrance in the evening so it's hard to get anything artistic.

I thought a "tilt shift" might work but it comes out uninteresting.

How slender a profile from some angles becomes an offensive and menacing wall of glass when viewed from others... the Jekyll and Hyde tower.

Last edited:
How slender a profile from some angels becomes an offensive and menacing wall of glass when viewed from others... the Jekyll and Hyde tower.

When I used to drive in/out of Boston a few times a week, there was a spot on I-93 South of the city where you used to have JUUUUST the right angle so you couldn't see either of the "fat" facades and it looked just like a slender, narrow blue arrow jutting skyward. That's my favorite vista.

Anyway, I was browsing Wikipedia and noticed that the "official" name for the Hancock was "Hancock Place." Does anyone call it this? I'm sort of embarrassed that I didn't know that.

Eh, it would need a bit more play with the concave/convex space if it were that much taller I think. But overall, yes, wholeheartedly agree. Boston's own Empire State.

God, that old JHB is just a damn Curley stub!

Back