Harbor Garage Redevelopment Pontificating | Waterfront

Status
Not open for further replies.
i asked a BPDA official during yesterday's "heavy action" about how they plan to build the tower over the N/S rail link.... he said "we're working on it..... The MHP is just the 1st step to determine the size and density of the tower. The Hook Lobster render is very early in the design stages. The state will not allow the N/S Rail ROW to be compromised....."

so i asked, would that mean something similar to the Fed Reserve Tower might be done? He said it has been loosely discussed. He then went on to explain, the committment of both sides to work around the N/S Rail to build something substantial on the property. :)

The Harbor Garage tower. ....Yesterday's events at the BPDA were, imo, advanced nimby Gorilla training. They have ice and their veins. Maybe we can just ram everything through. If so, we won't be calling them 'The Board' anymore. We'll need to change their name to the 'Dream Team.' Now, if we could just convince Linehan to run for another term.

We just really don't want this to happen...because yes, apparently, it can happen.

Then again, I guess the challenge is different depending on who goes first.

We just really don't want this to happen...because yes, apparently, it can happen.

Then again, I guess the challenge is different depending on who goes first.

in almost any realistic scenario, the tower at the Hook Lobster site goes in before the NSRL tunnel gets dug, so I think it'd happen in the opposite order, if it got screwed up. And it does seem the pertinent regulatory authorities are keeping it in mind, so it isn't likely to get screwed up, which is very good.

Really awkward phrasing on that pdf you posted. On the third page from the end, the section "In Summary" the first point reads "No tunnel was known to exist". Um, nope. The Network Rail folks knew about it and were using it, and plenty of riders knew about it. The other points are fair; there was inadequate mapping, consultation, and investigation. But they make it sound like the tunnel was hidden like Diagon Alley in Harry Potter world or something.

That first point ought to have been phrased along the lines of "Information concerning the existence of a known and regularly used tunnel was not appropriately obtained by, or delivered to, the designers/engineers of a new project."

More news. The real thread needs to be unlocked. Theres way more going on with this right now than a bunch of other unlocked threads. Anways.

"Boston’s downtown municipal harbor plan gets green-light Could mean 600-foot tower"

http://boston.curbed.com/2017/3/2/14796656/boston-harbor-garage-tower-chiofaro-waterfront

bluewaycbtarchitects.0.jpg

An opportunity to show support for an iconic landmark to be built at the Harbor Garage site.....

Dear Friends –

As a reminder, earlier this month, the Downtown Waterfront Municipal Harbor Plan (which includes development parameters for the Harbor Garage site) was approved by the Boston Planning & Development Agency Board and submitted to the state Office of Coastal Zone Management for its review and approval.

As we previously noted, while there are aspects of the plan that are challenging, broadly speaking it contemplates a landmark redevelopment at the Harbor Garage. Therefore, it is important for decisionmakers to understand that there is substantial support for what we’re trying to accomplish at the Garage, as well as for the plan itself. There are two ways to show your support.

PUBLIC HEARING – MONDAY, APRIL 3, 2017

The Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs and its Office of Coastal Zone Management will conduct a public hearing on the MHP at 6:00 PM on Monday, April 3, 2017 in the John Foster Room at the Boston Harbor Hotel, 70 Rowes Wharf, Boston. A strong showing by supporters will make a powerful statement.

WRITTEN COMMENTS – DUE NLT APRIL 21, 2017

We’ve tried to make this as easy and convenient as possible. The attached letter is a form that can just be printed and signed, or you may feel free to use it as a starting point for a letter expressing your own thoughts. If you do not feel comfortable providing an address, you may instead use your home neighborhood, city or town. You should also feel free to forward this to others who may be similarly supportive of our vision.

You can send the signed letters directly to the Office of Coastal Zone Management (with a copy to us), or you can send them to us. We’ll compile the ones we receive and submit them as a group. You may mail it to us at the address below, but we don’t need the originals –a PDF should be fine – and you may email it to us at this address (info@chiofaro.com).

We hope you will consider registering your support for the plan, and by extension, a transformative project at the Harbor Garage.

All the best,

The Harbor Garage Team

The Chiofaro Company
One International Place, Suite 4600
Fort Hill Square, Boston MA 02110
P: 617.330.5271
F: 617.330.5252
www.chiofaro.com
www.harborgarageproject.com
@chiofaroco
@harborgarage

sample letter

I will be writing my letter and sending it in.

This is one of the most important parcels in the city and there is no reason we should not move forward with Chiofaro/Pru plan proposal. The entire site blocks 95% access to the waterfront and the groups that are trying to prevent this from being developed is basically outright criminal using non-profit money to prevent Boston Economic progress.

The Greenway would also blossom overtime with this development in this area. Habor Garage is a disgrace on the Greenway and it has been a disgrace to watch NIMBYS, Past political differences keep this area depressed from the public so long.

How can anybody in their right mind honestly say Harbor Garage is a better option than Chiofaro/Pru proposal?

Aquarium softens opposition to Chiofaro waterfront tower

Boston Globe said:
The most influential critic of a skyscraper proposed for the Boston waterfront appears to be softening its opposition.

The New England Aquarium Monday signaled that it could support developer Don Chiofaro’s plans for a 600-foot-tall tower on the site of the neighboring Boston Harbor Garage, as long as the popular tourist attraction is compensated for lost business during construction and the project creates a welcoming environment for the Central Wharf area

A psychological profile of Chiofaro, though not labeled as such.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ory.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos4

I'm all for Harbor Garage project. But how did this make the front page of the Globe?

Chiofaro is 100% right concerning the Harbor Garage project. Not sure on the Belmont scenario nor do I care.

I would like to see the BAAR Foundation investigated at this point using non-profit funds to divert economic progress in the city of Boston that is actually for best interest for the public.
So this is how these non-profit agencies work? Don't pay taxes just change all the regulations and policies for your own personal agenda.

A psychological profile of Chiofaro, though not labeled as such.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ory.html?p1=Article_Recommended_ReadMore_Pos4

The town of Belmont should be careful: I was reading something about a similar project in Winchester were Winchester selectmen denied a family to build 11 homes and they sold the land to a developer who is granted 40b development for 300-600 units on Holton street. Actually I might have that deal confused with melrose.

That's not good for Winchester community to have another 300-600 units compared to 11 houses in that small area. They should have just let the family build the 11 houses now the town has to deal with additional 1400 residents in an already congested area.

That's 1200 future cars now that will be conjested around the Winchester area. This is why the city of Boston has to build taller around the major transit lines to keep suppressing the use of automobile transportation around the surrounding areas.

Last edited:
^ All of MetroBoston needs to add density, including Winchester. You're right in that it will only work if infrastructure (not just for autos, but rail, and bus) is likewise upgraded. Of course, the other major issue with population growth for the suburban towns in MetroBoston is the schools.

Adding density in Winchester is better than adding density in Tewksbury or Andover. Winchester is acutally fairly close to downtown boston.

The Aquarium people have a lot of nerve. They are demanding Chiofaro cover any financial losses the Aquarium suffers due to construction. The Aquarium in a (non-profit) business like every other business in the area. They are not entitled to anything that any other business owner in the area is entitled. They charge a great amount to show fish to tourists - not exactly a public necessity like a hospital or a school. Personally, I hope the Aquarium goes out of business and the land goes to a developer who will include public amenities.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...er-chiofaro/z42vkhXAkPNB6A94tyyZkM/story.html

endless extortion.....

but i'm also a bit disappointed with the Chiofaro Co; that they're not reaching their potential on PR on such a crucially important and beneficial project to the City of Boston.

Joe Larkin is doing a much better job.

Frankly, Millennium Partners' focused PR campaigns are leaving other developers in this City in the dust.

It's a negotiation - its not about what you deserve, its about what you have the power to get.

If you're not comfortable with that ... then you're probably getting screwed in a lot of negotiations (and you might not even be aware of it).

My problem with the Aquarium group is they have expressed interest in the upgrade for the entire area to the Blueway along with building a new complex. WHY haven't they actually focused and start preparing for their own future development? I would actually donate money to this cause especially for a better complex for the children to learn about marine life.

The Aquarium right now in my opinion needs to be upgraded. The current shithole makes 44 Million in revenue. Its actually profitable for a non-profit institution.

These groups are actually starting to force the developer to keep the garage as is which would be devastating for the overall public concerning this area.
The clock is ticking for this development and I believe Parking is becoming priceless in the city of Boston---So there will be no incentive for this developer to ever knock this down.

Thank you to the Barr Foundation, CLF, Aquarium Exec's, Harbor Tower Residents for not thinking long-term for Boston. This is a disgrace to keep this garage intact on this prime spot for the overall public.

This part of the Greenway will be a SCAR on Boston for a long long time.

Thank god for those Non-profit companies to stop progress for the best interest for the public right KMP?
Nothing wrong with stopping job creations, making an area much better for the public.

Is that what these groups want no progress concerning this massive concrete block that adds no real value to Boston or the public taxpayer who trys to enjoy the area?

Last edited:
In the end the Aquarium, gets to choose between nothing, and having a seat at the table and a brand new MEGA-park out front of the property!

Phase 1 in the refridgerator?

Like, they're gonna turn that down?

In the end the Aquarium, gets to choose between nothing, and having a seat at the table and a brand new MEGA-park out front of the property!

Phase 1 in the refridgerator?

Like, they're gonna turn that down?

I have to give you a lot of props being involved and going to these meetings. At least your a real person who stands by what they say compared to a selected group of phonies on this site.

Thanks Rifle,

2015, i was screaming "1 tower, giant park, 1 tower, giant park...."

my advocacy history....

1. build single tower and a huge park (fall '15)
2. dump the IMAX (winter '16)
(later discovered you all want that garbage gone too).
(you guys point out it was just another illegal structure).
3. sink Milk Steet below grade (spring '16)
4. put in trails + plant trees (spring '16).

late fall '17; Globe: "hey the Aquarium (and the Building Dept) have this magic plan....."

Winter/Spring '17 Globe; "they're gonna dump the IMAX..."

Wow... Are they gonna sink Milk Street?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back