Harbor Garage Redevelopment Pontificating | Waterfront

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the developer/Investor there is no reason to replace the garage then. For the overall public good and the area this is very bad.

Exactly. It's a ludicrous requirement. The lot should be grandfathered. I hope Chiofaro lets the eyesore rot and jacks up the prices at the same time. As far as I'm concerned, if that's what you want, that's what you get.

His winter garden was enclosed (as winter gardens usually are). The City would probably play ball with him if he opened it up.

Well hopefully this will be the design for his next iteration. His original proposal (the 700ft one) did include an arch but I believe the opening on the ground is actually enclosed as well.

We need the green part to be huge. That's the only way this gets done. 70% isn't a good idea politically. Never was. 60% isn't good enough.

City wants as close to 50% as possible. 50% isn't possible. 55% might be possible.

52 1/2% + tax relief and a great economy and no lawsuits sounds like a winner. Yes, the first floor is gonna be a compromise. That's always been a likely outcome.

Put restaurant, retail floors on level 2. Put a club terrace up on the first floor of the residences, around level 18 or 20. i'm fairly certain the city is prepared to go it alone without the Aquarium ass-douches.

it's time.

Is it me or everything proposed in Boston got support and approved besides harbor garage development?

The Seaport was all parking lots which every development now has created a wall against the waterfront? vs Harbor Garage which is already a wall of concrete blocking 90% of the waterfront on the parcel.
How can the BRA support building walls in the Seaport but not support knocking down a wall to open up the waterfront.

I would sue the BRA and the state for these actions. The development process does not make sense concerning -Chap 91-

Harbor Garage parcel is already blocking 90%+ compared to Seaport which had 100% views for the public until they have built a WALL against the waterfront.

This is why the entire process is a SHAM in Boston.

Conservation Law Foundation fires again at controversial Seaport condo tower

By Tim Logan Globe Staff January 12, 2017

Renderings of the new 22-story residential building planned for 150 Seaport Boulevard on the South Boston Waterfront. Elkus Manfredi Architects

One of Massachusetts’ top environmental advocates is asking state officials to reconsider their recent decision to bless a controversial condo tower in the Seaport District.

The Conservation Law Foundation Thursday sent a letter to Environmental Secretary Matt Beaton, urging another look at 150 Seaport Blvd., the 22-story luxury condo tower restaurateur Jon Cronin wants to build on the site of two waterfront bars he owns.

The project risks walling off the waterfront and “sets a bad precedent for other developer-driven” zoning plans along Boston Harbor, such as the downtown waterfront plan that would include Don Chiofaro’s skyscraper at the Boston Harbor Garage, CLF senior counsel Peter Shelley wrote in a letter to Environmental Secretary Matt Beaton.

“We’re very concerned with this project itself,” Shelley said. “We also have our eye on the Harbor Garage, which raises a similar set of questions.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/01/12/seaport/T6kbOTmpc4Vj5kxnuaJuSM/story.html#comments

Can somebody explain to me how this idiot actually has a job with statements like this?

The project risks walling off the waterfront and “sets a bad precedent for other developer-driven” zoning plans along Boston Harbor, such as the downtown waterfront plan that would include Don Chiofaro’s skyscraper at the Boston Harbor Garage, CLF senior counsel Peter Shelley wrote in a letter to Environmental Secretary Matt Beaton.

Harbor Garage is already WALLED off from the public to the waterfront almost 100% of the area is completely walled off by a concrete barrier that makes endless amounts of money thanks to the city and state for disregarding there own chap 91 laws. WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT.

Now you wonder why TRUMP got elected.

If anything the Seaport development is beginning to wall off the entire area since all the developments were nothing more than just parking lots. Harbor Garage is a an above concrete garage that was already blocking the waterfront from the public which is demoralizing the entire Greenway and waterfront.

The logic here is insane

If Lotus would reissue the submersible Esprit you wouldn't need this garage.

Is it me or everything proposed in Boston got support and approved besides harbor garage development?

1 Bromfield also got a less than cheery reaction from City Hall after re-launch. It looks like the controversial massing has cost them a year, give or take. Hopefully, the developer returns with a more creative benefits package that includes keeping the existing facade, payless, and a better plan for parking, receiving, etc. .... in any case, who has a good feeling this thing ever gets done at significant height?

It wasn't controversial massing. It was the preposterous attitude toward Bromfield Street. With a developer as tone deaf as this, fine by me if it goes away forever.

It wasn't controversial massing. It was the preposterous attitude toward Bromfield Street. With a developer as tone deaf as this, fine by me if it goes away forever.

I always figured the proposal wasn't serious anyways (as in they never actually intended to build the building proposed). I figured they were just trying to get it approved to X height with all the variances, and long shot attempt at a PDA, to bundle it all up and sell it as a develop-able package to someone else.

My guess; Nigella not playing nice with City Hall and the Big Plan.

Last edited:
Re: City and Don Chiofaro agree in principle to build the Harbor Garage Tower....

This is a good plan. This seems to give everyone what they want.

Re: City and Don Chiofaro agree in principle to build the Harbor Garage Tower....

Rocktastic? Kinda? Little steps...

It sure is. Ain't nothin' gonna stop a >$1B project that benefits everyone but a few holdouts.

Oh my god. YOU (yourself!) already have a backup thread for the thread!

http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=5327&page=5

Yup. In any case, a City of Boston like you never could have envisioned a few years ago isn't a far off dream anymore. It's here!

it's time for the overlords to vaporize my alt thread, and Statler to let the old sadistic discussion thread wither away.....

The City is making clear its absolute commitment to see the Garage developed - and the site transformed. Barring a meltdown, there is going to be a proposal, financial backing from PRU, and a short term legal battle rubbed out.

a turning point.

My guess; Nigella not playing nice with City Hall and the Big Plan.

She's gone It wasn't too hard to see what happened. ...and leading up to today's announcement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50WphCvOubE

That is great news. I wonder if they can get a 600 foot tower in there as the article states, given FAA stuff.

Either way, I am impressed that Don has stuck with this project through such fierce opposition. In the picture, he looks the same as I remember him 25 years ago, maybe just a bit more grey hair.

The ludicrous title of the opponent's group leader is fantastic, "chair of the garage committee at the Harbor Towers condo complex".

When the city set out guidelines many months ago for the Harbor Garage parcel, with a cap on max height, and a cap of 900,000 gsf, the city acknowledged that Chiofaro could build a tower to the maximum height allowed, but it would be an 'awfully thin tower'.

His parcel is roughly 57,000 sq ft, 50 percent open space leaves a building footprint of about 28,000 square feet. 900,000 divided by 28,000 = about 32 floors, assuming 28,000 sf per floor.

If I were the city I would give the harbor towers residents the following ultimatum: Take down your ridiculous fence that cuts of the waterfront from the public or stfu.

Disingenuous entitled hypocrites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back