Hook Wharf | 400 Atlantic Ave | Downtown

Just a note, as some are suggesting that height could be back on the table if the developer has to give up something foundation-wise: the Massport/FAA height zone this falls into is the 600–625' band.

I'm not suggesting this parcel ought to be any particular height, just trying to give context for the site.

Just a note, as some are suggesting that height could be back on the table if the developer has to give up something foundation-wise: the Massport/FAA height zone this falls into is the 600–625' band.

I'm not suggesting this parcel ought to be any particular height, just trying to give context for the site.

I am assuming you mean: if developer has to build an expensive pain-in-the-ass foundation, they get relief on being able to make up profits by going higher.

Otherwise that doesn't make sense; building higher when you can't have a foundation defies physics...

(and I agree about not being particularly excited about height on this site)

EDIT: and btw, there's no reason one can't do a cantilever underground just like one can do one above ground. There's a neat scheme with tension/compression deep pile pier sets where you can literally have most of the piles on one side of the building with underground cantilever beams supporting the building.

Just a note, as some are suggesting that height could be back on the table if the developer has to give up something foundation-wise:

As it appears there will be less than ideal access sites to drill piles, wouldn't it suggest some type of exotic span a la Fed Reserve? Then, how much height do you need to add to make it work? Atlantic Wharf height?

So it won't get done for 10~12 years.

Cool. That clears the way for Harborfaro Tower.

As it appears there will be less than ideal access sites to drill piles, wouldn't it suggest some type of exotic span a la Fed Reserve?
Interesting idea, maybe we can get something like 2+U in Seattle? Really cool project, IMO. There's an "urban village" for the art community with retail, restaurants, cafes, and open space occupying the first 85 vertical feet of the building. The office space 'floats' above it. Looks like you could design something like this so that there's minimal impact on the ground below, perhaps? There'd definitely be some interesting engineering here... I'm not sure how feasible/physically possible this would be considering the small area of the parcel, (considering you would need to reduce the size of the core and distance between piles), but being right next to the (future new(?)) Northern Ave. Bridge, a short walk across the bridge from the Seaport, and across the street from the Greenway, this type of design would be perfect for the area.
dhcxcSI.jpg

ZneQjku.jpg

Other Image

Even if NSRL wasn't in the question, I still think this would be an interesting and fitting program for the site.

The plus bridge was one of the winners but it closes off the channel to any boating traffic. Since the competition there has been no new news about what theyre going to do.

James Hook and Harbor Tower Approved....

Harbor Thread is closed so I posted to this one...

City OKs downtown waterfront plan, allowing for 600-foot Harbor Garage tower

It also allows for a 305-foot, 22-story tower at the site of James Hook & Co. seafood restaurant on Northern Avenue, which would call for 30 percent of the lot as open space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/ne...g-for-600.html

James Hook and Harbor Tower Approved....

No they were not. The updated zoning plan was approved. Both of those sites are barely beyond concept stage at this point as far as anyone knows.

not to mention the state has final say on the harbor plan.

thought i'd drag this over from the hahbah garage thread.....

City OKs downtown waterfront plan, allowing for 600-foot Harbor Garage tower

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n...owntown-waterfront-plan-allowing-for-600.html

James Hook too... It also allows for a 305-foot, 22-story tower at the site of James Hook & Co. seafood restaurant on Northern Avenue, which would call for 30 percent of the lot as open space.

i asked a BPDA official during yesterday's "heavy action" about how they plan to build the tower over the N/S rail link.... he said "we're working on it..... The MHP is just the 1st step to determine the size and density of the tower. The Hook Lobster render is very early in the design stages. The state will not allow the N/S Rail ROW to be compromised....."

so i asked, would that mean something similar to the Fed Reserve Tower might be done? He said it has been loosely discussed. He then went on to explain, the committment of both sides to work around the N/S Rail to build something substantial on the property. :)

The Harbor Garage tower. ....Yesterday's events at the BPDA were, imo, advanced nimby Guerrilla training. They have ice in their veins. Maybe we can just ram everything through. If so, we won't be calling them 'The Board' anymore. We'll need to change their name to the 'Dream Team.' Now, if we could just convince Linehan to run for another term.

Last edited:
i asked a BPDA official during yesterday's "heavy action" about how they plan to build the tower over the N/S rail link....

Thanks for relaying this, good news. We still need everyone to keep following up on it for years and years, but it's good news nonetheless.

i've got the perfect design for The Hook Lobstah....

Build a knockoff of the Fed Reserve knockoff in Bahrain....

We can get a lovely waterfront park right under the building.

I think he meant "guerrilla" training. Odurandina, you have been on a tear last few days, definitely making me chuckle - "they have ice in their veins". Love it.

Yes 'Guerrilla.'

My bad. and i speak Spanish pretty well for crying out loud. :banghead:

According to the Globe, the new waterfront zoning approvals means this can go forward

Back