Hook Wharf | 400 Atlantic Ave | Downtown

Interesting that she said "leave room" for a warehouse/restaurant/takeout space. From that language it sounds like two separate structures. I'm still in favor of a human scale industrial base covered by a sleek tower, like 2+U in Seattle

Did MassDOT come to any conclusions about a project here and it's effects on NSRL?

Globe headline
Plans for condo tower on Hook Lobster site finally move forward
Except it is a hotel, not a condo.

Globe said there are no renderings, maybe in a month or so. The need for a distinct lobster 'business activity' is probably to satisfy maritime use requirement under Chapter 91.

Any idea what we would be looking at for floors/height on a 400 room hotel? Its a small parcel so im kinda thinking 10-15 rooms per floor which is 30-40 stories?

Any idea what we would be looking at for floors/height on a 400 room hotel? Its a small parcel so im kinda thinking 10-15 rooms per floor which is 30-40 stories?

I believe it was originally 305' (including mechanicals?) this image from 2014!! Six years of hold ups later, crazy!

1604757940195.png

According to the Globe, the height is still 305'. 22 floors. A rooftop restaurant and terrace. BBJ reports 275,000 sq ft., building will have hotel ballroom, meeting room.

I'm okay with the height, not so much with the materials proposed, not in this location. Look at the buildings along the waterfront. There's a tradition on the water that goes back centuries. Though the design itself may be worthy enough, do we really want steel and glass hard on the water? Wouldn't materials that honor and recall a maritime industry work well here? Wouldn't Hook itself like to honor its own past beyond simple economic enrichment? Or maybe they have notions about this they haven't yet shared.

PS. I hope this doesn't disqualify the North/South rail link. There was concern once that it would.

LOI:

Mod, please rename thread to "Hook Wharf | 400 Atlantic Avenue | Downtown".

Six years of hold ups later, crazy!

Correct me if I am wrong, but only 2 or so years were regulatory delays (not that that is by any means something to be proud of), and the rest were the proponent's decision to take their time.

This + the Old Northern Avenue Bridge replacement are going to make a massive improvement in pedestrian experience in this area / Harborwalk.

Correct me if I am wrong, but only 2 or so years were regulatory delays (not that that is by any means something to be proud of), and the rest were the proponent's decision to take their time.
Unfortunately this project is in the same MHP amendment as Chiafaro's project so it is still being held up, now by the CLF lawsuit.

Unfortunately this project is in the same MHP amendment as Chiafaro's project so it is still being held up, now by the CLF lawsuit.

Discouraging. Thanks for the info, though!

What are the laws or other challenges that keep this from exceeding 305'? Clearly, I am too lazy to scroll through the rest of this thread right now. Solid enough tower design. I'm not sure how much use that boardwalk will get as the location feels a bit awkward.

They ought to have the newly-constructed harborwalk step up to meet the Evelyn Moakley Bridge. Would make for a much better pedestrian experience.
I disagree: with the approved reconstruction of the Northern Avenue Bridge into a principally pedestrian way, it's better that the designers prioritized that pedestrian connection... especially because the east bank of the Fort Point Channel has more significant cultural assets existing (and in the works).

Back