I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

Re: I-90 Interchange Improvement Project (Allston)

So for the 3rd concept, the mainline would be elevated and the surface streets would be below it?

I interpreted it as some sort of embankment.

I interpreted it as some sort of embankment.

They really don't know what they are doing yet (or do but don't want to make it public). But yeah, it diagrammatically seems to indicate the pike will rise up to allow traffic to get under it.

Also, Harry wrote a nice summary on u-hub. (I have to wonder why Adam wasn't there last night, it seems like his usual feeding ground).

If the title of your proposal is "suburban type" interchange in the middle of an urban area, you should immediately rethink the proposal.

It's possible that the suburban proposals were purposefully bad in order to make the third proposal look like the best option.

It's possible that the suburban proposals were purposefully bad in order to make the third proposal look like the best option.

Honestly that is a brilliant technique if that is the case! Great thinking! =)

Wish I could have been there but I had a commitment out of state.

Sounds like it went well. Don't worry Dave, the livable streets folks are well aware of your work. They were probably trying to get back to their annual member party across town.

The 3rd concept shown is the least painful one, though it still reeks of a freeway design mentality, and nowhere near enough urban sensibility. At least it would allow for future street connections to the south, and gradual development of an urban street grid in the area.

I wasn't able to get any real feedback on moving SFR from the DOT guys, but I think its because they didn't want to step on anyones toes from the DCR before they reached out. They did say they will be there at the next meeting. Another suprizing thing that a lot of people touched on is that Harvard wasn't there.
Maybe Harvard is more amused than anything.

There was a map produced (by the BRA?) in July 2006 titled "Land Ownership Patterns" for a meeting of the Harvard Allston Task Force. By assessing parcel, all of Allston was mapped for ownership. (If the BRA website gets back up, I'll try and find a link.)

That map shows Harvard owning every parcel of land from the intersection of Cambridge and Linden St northeast along the south boundary of Cambridge St. to the land owned by the Commonwealth for Soldiers Field Rd. There are two exceptions, (1) two short and thin slivers of land off of Cambridge St leading to the Pike ramps, and (2) two parcels owned by Houghton Chemical next to the Doubletree.

South of that, Harvard owns all the way to the individual parcels of land on the north side of Pratt, Wadsworth, and Ashford streets, and thence eastward to the BU property line. Eastward Harvard owns to the BU property line about at the midpoint of the Agganis Arena, where Harvard ownership ends. Northward of these property lines, Harvard owns everything to Cambridge St. Harvard's ownership within these boundaries is subject to certain easements and perpetual rights-of-way for railroads and state highways. If BU plans to deck over the railroad tracks by Babcock St. etc., it is Harvard land it is decking over.

North of Cambridge St, Harvard essentially owns everything east of Windom St (save for a row of residential properties on the east side of Windom between Windom and Hopedale) all the way to the property owned by the Commonwealth for Soldiers Field Road. Windom becomes Rotterdam north of Hopedale, and Rotterdam exits onto Western Ave near the former WGBH buildings. Harvard also owns all the land between Soldiers Field Rd and Rotterdam St, south of Western Ave.

So why should the taxpayers pay for the Commonwealth or the city to do land-use planning on Harvard-owned land?

So why should the taxpayers pay for the Commonwealth or the city to do land-use planning on Harvard-owned land?

Harvard's new model for development in Allston seems to be what they are doing at Barry's Corner: long term leases which sees the land developed by private developers, with academic functions scattered throughout. IIRC, Harvard is leasing back some space from the developers as well. I see no reason to believe this won't happen with Beacon Park. Either way, its getting the land producing not only taxes, but commercial space and housing. Right now its a massive plot of nothing.

Even if they were going to develop everything 100% institutional, there would still be a distinct benefit to the city in new connections to the river, parks, and across the Pike to Comm Ave. I don't think the city should pay to build all the local streets, but they should absolutely be the ones laying the framework down.

It doesn't really matter that Harvard owns it and not the city, state, or some other entity. It is, I believe, the largest plot of undeveloped land in the city. I sure wouldn't want to trust Harvard to go at it alone; government oversight, and the public process that goes with it, should result in a better product for the residents and the future.

Honestly that is a brilliant technique if that is the case! Great thinking! =)

It's more likely to be the other way around - They've set up the third option to fail by lining up the access points with residential streets, making the access to SFR and Storrow convoluted, and placing signals on the access roads so that their traffic sims tell them that the queues will back up onto the Pike.

No way that plan makes it past the simulation stage. Then, they can throw up their hands and say "we looked at it, but there was just too much traffic."

There will be a graphene R&D spillover into Cambridgeport, and a monorail along the right-of-way of the Grand Junction between North Allston and Kendall.

Hah. MIT blowing up their building that straddles the ROW for that monorail?

and a monorail along the right-of-way of the Grand Junction between North Allston and Kendall.

Hah! Almost got me!

If indeed the Beacon yards and the former freight terminals north of the yards become Boston's center for graphene research, the residents of Windom St. won't need to worry about increased traffic because they won't be living there anymore.

What makes graphene so dangerous that an adjoining residential area would need removal?

What makes graphene so dangerous that an adjoining residential area would need removal?

I don't think he is saying they would be removed due to pollution or safety related issues but instead gentrification.

I don't think he is saying they would be removed due to pollution or safety related issues but instead gentrification.
The land becomes too valuable to continue as relatively inexpensive residential.

I can't remember the exact percentage, but a relatively high percentage of Allston properties are owned by absentee owners. And the percentage in sub-neighborhoods differs. Absentee owners usually have no sentimental attachment to the property they own.

IIRC, Harvard has said it won't buy more property in North Allston for the foreseeable future, --there are probably several exceptions to that, one being the three story apartment house on Western Ave., east of Barry's Corner, which would represent infill purchases. But Harvard's promise doesn't forestall savvy investors from snapping up property as it comes on the market, holding it until it greatly appreciates in value, and then selling it.

If one drives down Route 127 in Beverly, that's probably a textbook case of how two schools, Endicott College and the Landmark School, have progressively expanded their campuses by buying property that was not cheap.

http://map.endicott.edu/

http://www.landmarkschool.org/downloads/hs/HSmap.pdf

Everything can be gained for a price.

The land becomes too valuable to continue as relatively inexpensive residential.

I can't remember the exact percentage, but a relatively high percentage of Allston properties are owned by absentee owners. And the percentage in sub-neighborhoods differs. Absentee owners usually have no sentimental attachment to the property they own.

IIRC, Harvard has said it won't buy more property in North Allston for the foreseeable future, --there are probably several exceptions to that, one being the three story apartment house on Western Ave., east of Barry's Corner, which would represent infill purchases. But Harvard's promise doesn't forestall savvy investors from snapping up property as it comes on the market, holding it until it greatly appreciates in value, and then selling it.

If one drives down Route 127 in Beverly, that's probably a textbook case of how two schools, Endicott College and the Landmark School, have progressively expanded their campuses by buying property that was not cheap.

http://map.endicott.edu/

http://www.landmarkschool.org/downloads/hs/HSmap.pdf

Everything can be gained for a price.

There is a huge difference between Allston proper and Lower Allston. The absenteeism thing is much less prevalent north of the pike, ESPECIALLY the group of houses east of N. Harvard Street. Most of the houses are owner occupied or condos. This small group of land owners has, for better or for worse, been very influential in what Harvard has been doing. As an example, the block I live on has 12 houses. Of those two are owned by absentee landlords (including the one I live in), however both are small management companies. The four properties that face my backyard are all owned by the same guy, who has one daughter and her associated family living in each. This is not uncommon.

Going into the future, that little neighborhood will likely wall itself off, with the properties on the east side of Windom Street being the dividing line between it and whatever is built on the sears warehouse pad. Going into the future, the property values in this neighborhood may rise, turning it into a small cluster of restored homes, like you would see in Brookline or Arlington. That's the real value here, not tearing them down.

It's also expensive to buy up tiny little house lots and combine them into something useful. Economically it doesn't make sense. Why would Harvard, or anyone for that matter, spend a pretty decent chunk of change for such a tiny total acquisition? I don't think you're going to see those houses going anywhere for a very, very long time.

davem, thanks for the info on ownership.

Holy Cross in Worcester has been buying three-family and two-family housing, adjacent to its campus, parcel by parcel, and more often than not, demolishing the building and grassing over the surface. Over time, the parcels have become contiguous, or nearly so. (It also has paid a premium.) What its doing is a combination of land-banking while forcing its students out of housing stock that it considers to be sub-standard.

IIRC, an occasional poster here told me that a group of homeowners on a major street in Lower Allston proposed selling to Harvard either three or four of their homes, which were contiguous, as a group. The sale never went through, perhaps because of sensitivity about buying residential properties.

And with respect to Harvard, look at the list of properties owned by Harvard housing in Cambridge, starting with Athens Terrace, Banks St, and the even-numbered on Grant St.

http://www.huhousing.harvard.edu/our-properties

I believe Harvard bought most of these smaller residential properties, and fixed them up.

I'm not a fan of self promotion so I try to keep cross posting from by blog to here at a minimum. However I went out and did an informal feasibility study of overpasses at BU West I thought you guys would enjoy / weigh in on.

Regarding Overpasses

A few highlights:
2-la-demand.png

3-bu-demand.png

persp-agganis-way.png

agganis-ge.png

Self promote all you want. Because that was a great read and I wasn't tracking or even aware you had a blog.

Yes, it was a good read. I see that you took pictures during the graduation. Normally that area is fairly desolate.

Ashford Street descends a fair amount between Malvern and Babcock Streets. I don't know if BU will be to keen on rebuilding the stub of Babcock Street to raise the grade. Admittedly, I suspect BU is not at all thrilled with the idea of making Babcock Street be a thru-street. Politics may be the largest challenge of all.

Any overpass should probably be combined with access to the planned four-track/two-platform station that MassDOT is thinking about creating in the Beacon Park space.

BTW, the next Interchange Task Force meets Wednesday, May 21st, at 6:00PM, Honan Library 300 N Harvard St.

Back