Ink Block (Boston Herald) | 300 Harrison Avenue | South End

Most of the renderings did not show anything on this parcel but I found this one that does. So it seems that this is the last remaining project in Ink Block. Thats pretty good because I believe at first they were gonna wait a while on the rest of the parcels but they actually went up pretty fast and now this is the only one left. It all went up pretty fast with no major stalls or delays between projects that I can think of. Not bad at all and its nice to get some appropriately placed height for the last parcel. So we have this and 321 Harrison to look forward to against the pike which both look great, then a couple more further in the south end, the Berkley next to Ink block as well and some other misc developments. Its really shaping up here and becoming its own neighborhood within a neighborhood and I think they did a pretty good job. Its much better than what was there before especially. This was another one of the smartly placed developments like the Seaport where your not losing really anything, but gaining a whole lot. Thats what works the best for everybody and seems to be continuing into the future as well theres nothing major or really of significance being demolished to make way for something new like the Dainty Dot was and a couple others in recent years past. The USPS parcel is huge but its nothing that anybody wants to keep and is of 0 historical significance and will greatly improve the area when its gone.

Ink+Block+-+Roof+Plan+Proposed+Future.jpg

And when they finally build on that surface lot.... It will be complete.

Give it time. Build more residential over an above grade garage, set back to tower surrounded by elevated greenspace.

And when they finally build on that surface lot.... It will be complete.

Give it time. Build more residential over an above grade garage, set back to tower surrounded by elevated greenspace.

You are likely waiting a long time before you see that surface lot developed. It will be costly.

That lot is actually the roof to the garage that sits in the foundation shell of the original Herald building. National Development reused the Herald building foundation for 1 and 2 Ink, including that rooftop deck parking and garage underneath. That foundation will not support much height, so you would have to work through the garage to sink new foundation elements. $$$

I love the way those windows are framed.

Those vertical white bars light up at night. It is a nice effect.

Fair enough, but that sign is the laziest thing I've seen in a long time. A better sign would make such a difference here (witness the Envoy for an example).

So the next building, the upscale dormitory, will that be removing the billboard? I ask because the AC Hotel was built only 6 stories tall so that the billboard could still be seen from the highway.

(yes I understand that 6 floors allowed it to be 5 wood over 1 steel, but that was the best option given the height they wanted to built to, not the other way around.)

So the next building, the upscale dormitory, will that be removing the billboard? I ask because the AC Hotel was built only 6 stories tall so that the billboard could still be seen from the highway.

(yes I understand that 6 floors allowed it to be 5 wood over 1 steel, but that was the best option given the height they wanted to built to, not the other way around.)

I am pretty sure that the billboard is toast when they start construction of the 14 story co-living apartment building planned for the final corner of the Ink Block.

Old Globe story:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ng-strategy/BsraCu92n4oFviu0Ha9AMK/story.html

Well, it's certainly stripey. A shame because I kind of dig the massing on the shorter section.

Back