Ink Block (Boston Herald) | 300 Harrison Avenue | South End

Still too much "fast casual architecture" for me. It does not slide into any kind of real authenticity. I know its too much to pay for but ... still.

Not a fan. Sorry Van. I respect your opinion.

cca

Overall, the building looks ok, but not a fan of the balcony railings. Not at all. They basically look like the leftover scrap from which metal discs were cut from metal sheet blanks. Looks untreated. Looks cheap.

Literally anything on this page shown from a simple Google search of "balcony railing" would have been a better option.

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/balcony-railing/

Oh I like that. Too bad it's next to a highway.

Ironic that highway proximity is the excuse by some posters here for the 0 Kneeland Street abomination. Ink Block shows that highway proximity is not an excuse. The reason is market rate versus subsidized.

https://flic.kr/p/21Vdrs7

Apparently the design is meant to evoke the stripes of the Duomo in Siena, Italy.
duomo-di-siena.jpg

^thats a stretch on their part. The stripes aren't even that similar, its like a negative of the original. All the stripes, but none of the symmetry, or interesting crown. This is Boston's Duomo lol. How fitting.

Fast casual architecture. Hilarious!!

Still too much "fast casual architecture" for me...
cca

cca, I agree with Czervik...this is too good. It exactly captures the essence of so much of what we see around us these days:

The "fieldstone" fireplace inside a panera bread or Residence Inn lobby.
The egregious overuse of subway tiles everywhere
Use of mouldings and accouterments that should theoretically add class, but somehow don't, in mass produced architecture.

Thank you for introducing this to the lexicon

Could have been called "Ruskin-ette" rather than "Siena".

The comparison between this and the Duomo in Siena is hilarious. That said, this building isn't bad, and honestly will be most noticeable by people driving on 93.

I wonder how sound proof the windows will be? Will residents by able to hear 93?

They've done a good job at street-level activation at the Ink Block. I've been impressed by the Whole Foods and the shops surrounding it. All in all, they've done a good job with the whole development.

The comparison isn't hilarious - the stripe pattern is a visible, arresting sign of Siena.

Back