Innovation Square (iSQ) | 6 Tide St. | Seaport

Although it screams "Kendall Square outskirts, 2003", and too short, I think it is a tidy little building. Yes, it is bland, but seems well put together.

Although it screams "Kendall Square outskirts, 2003", and too short, I think it is a tidy little building. Yes, it is bland, but seems well put together.

Hopefully it will be easy for demo in a few years when newer/larger more urban buildings will be demanded there.

Post edit: oops, just saw Arborway's post #65.

It takes a lot of balls to put the word 'Square' in the name of this project....

Agreed. This is well into the Marine Park (across from the drydock where all kinds of crazy sandblasting and stuff happens) and seems totally appropriate for that location. The name is silly, but what name isn't silly?

I like the buildings, but they must realllly be playing the long game to locate here. Pretty crappy spot surrounded by warehouses in every direction and 0 transit.

I like the buildings, but they must realllly be playing the long game to locate here. Pretty crappy spot surrounded by warehouses in every direction and 0 transit.

Not that fare into the wilderness. SL 2 stops at the site and the Design Center is only a block and a half to the south.

I'm not sure what is going on at the site other than they are finishing up the work on the 120 sqft Phase I building. What I'm confused about is that they seem to be doing minimul prep on the southern half of the site and a new sample has been erected. The problem with the sampler is that it does not match with the renderings of the Phase II building, I've seen.. Anyone got some insight as to "Whats UP"?
https://flic.kr/p/RKjdG4

https://flic.kr/p/2epK9oW

ISQ Phase II

Maybe the sampler is for another building elsewhere, being stored there. Lot of brick detail for this part of town.

Maybe the sampler is for another building elsewhere, being stored there. Lot of brick detail for this part of town.

Your correct. After a little digging I found that it looks like it is the sampler for another Related Beal project. That being the Berkeley at 370 Harrison in the South End.

Perhaps this has been said before....but WTF with that suburban front yard in the rendering on the fence. What is this Waltham in 1988?

....but WTF with that suburban front yard in the rendering on the fence. What is this Waltham in 1988?

Well, isn't Innovation Square basically sited in a glorified office park (the Ray Flynn Industrial Park) with commercial, retail, and industrial components thrown in? So why is it wrong to have sidewalks, some seating, a few trees, and some patches of green out front?

Last edited:
Well, isn't Innovation Square basically sited in a glorified office park (the Ray Flynn Industrial Park) with commercial, retail, and industrial components thrown in? So why is it wrong to have sidewalks, some seating, a few trees, and some patches of green out front?

Office parks (as conventionally known and designed) suck. Full stop. Better urban design is to respect the street wall (or at least try and create one) and have pocket parks.

The city with its varied uses of hotels and labs and office is already encroaching upon the industrial park...with any luck it will become fully part of the seaport eventually (while maintaining a diverse array of industrial uses). If and when that time comes it would be nice to have a dynamic and attractive streetscape.

Back