Liberty Mutual Tower | 157 Berkeley Street | Back Bay

Re: Liberty Mutual Expansion

If that is the best post ever on a forum for blogging about buildings I would have to say this forum might be finished.

Looks like the uneducated have arrived and would not be surprised if half the useless BRA employees are now blogging on this site.

It looks like my people finally found me.

What happened to Avatar, Lurker, Ablarc, Toby, Itchy ect.......?

Yeah because "FAT BITCH in the skyline" is educated. Pot meet kettle.

If that is the best post ever on a forum for blogging about buildings I would have to say this forum might be finished.

Looks like the uneducated have arrived and would not be surprised if half the useless BRA employees are now blogging on this site.

It looks like my people finally found me.

What happened to Avatar, Lurker, Ablarc, Toby, Itchy ect.......?

Calma gente. He was just joking around.

from the train

Last edited:

Snapped some crappy photos from the base but can't upload them until later tonight. There is a pretty neat steel/metal sculpture of the liberty mutual flame on the corner of berklee and columbus with a similar motif reflected in ceiling hangings in the cafeteria viewable from columbus. There also appears to be a small patio along columbus. Was there ever any conclusion to whether it will be open to the public? It may not be a truly active streetwall, but I don't think it will be as dire as some people feared.

THIS IS NOT A BLOG. Jesus tap dancing christ you are dense.

I agree about that POV not showing anything positive but from other views in the South End, the building works.

As everyone knows (who cares), I criticized the building because its owner got a tax kickback. Beyond that, the building works great for the Back Bay. Street level retail / restaurant (or, lack thereof) is a tragedy but a small one.

9405935920_970b1e4b11_b.jpg

9405932666_d2d8e1048b_b.jpg

9403172053_f103490589_b.jpg

I didn't get any pictures, but I was driving in from the south last night and the lighting on this building was absolutely awesome. It really helps mitigate how damn fat it is, especially from that angle. Instead, it just looked so classy and really stood out despite its lack of height.

If you don't like this building, go look at it up close - I think it looks great in person and fits in well with the surrounding buildings. Also, the crown looks great lit up at night. Definitely adds value to the night skyline in that stretch of buildings.

Two lights out already? That's a shame, I hope they are replaced quickly and this is not a regular occurrence. F'ed up lighting is worse than no lighting.

I agree the 222 berkley building and the old Hancock used to be lit up hopefully this will inspire them to fix the lights!

^ Great photos showing local context. Fits right in!

Last night:

From International Village at Northeastern. Looks great from this angle.

Back