Re: Liberty Mutual plans major Boston expansion

not much change today except they started the bridge accross the street
011-26.jpg
013-26.jpg
015-25.jpg
016-30.jpg
018-25.jpg

Between this project, Fan Pier, and Spaulding, it is so great to see cranes in the air again...

^ agree! I luv a crane or 2 or 3 on the skyline :)

Harbingers of doom.

Entropy in Boston is always increasing.

Still not much to look at....

6041879499_71dcd1d543_b.jpg

6042424300_e91450c0c7_b.jpg

6041880251_8a71eac6e8_b.jpg

Across the street, I believe this is for the sky bridge?

6042423802_23b0260cda_b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6145/6041879499_71dcd1d543_b.jpg

Wait- what's that nice white stone block building? And why does it have a massive brick wall (was that really the cheapest option (or the most foresightful for when the building next door could be demolished as is now, exposing an odd combo of materials meshing) to lay brick after brick after brick instead of a few more slabs? And why the column of windows if this was hidden?

That's the back of the Grill 23 building. Based on the Bromley Atlas it looks like the column of windows aligned with an alley. What's the point of finishing a wall that is covered by other buildings?

It's amazing to look at a massive expanse of uninterrupted brick like that and realize that nowadays, it would have large expansion joints every 3'.

It's amazing to look at a massive expanse of uninterrupted brick like that and realize that nowadays, it would have large expansion joints every 3'.

And -- yet it still stands almost 100 years after it was built -- and despite the recent earthquake

By the way -- any new pix -- its been 2 weeks since our last "fix"

I doubt much has changed, visually speaking.

There's a big difference between the masonry bearing walls of yesteryear and the clipped on brick veneers of today.

I believe it's actually more like every 12' or 14' -- that sound right, Lurker?

There's a big difference between the masonry bearing walls of yesteryear and the clipped on brick veneers of today.

But the above walls are just older versions to today's brick veneer -- there is no way that buildngs of the scale and vintage in question were anything other than a steel frame

No something else has changed -- my guess is the code with respect to earthquakes

Last edited:

Old masonry/iron frame buildings typically had the exterior walls as bearing floor loads in addition to the dead loads of the walls. Hence why the Ames building has something like 16'-0" thick walls on the ground floor.

Old steel supported the floor loads and the exterior wall supported themselves. Hence why there are many tall brick buildings in Boston where the brick is 2'-0 to 4'-0 thick"

New steel structures support both the floor loads and the loads of the exterior skin. They are steel skeletons with the equivalent of swimming pool lining as their real weather tight seal with some other cladding to disguise that fact clipped on.

The requirement for relieving angles for brick veneer is dependent on the thickness and hardness of brick. Some types are so flimsy that they can't go more than 8'-0" without relieving angles. Of course when masonry is that thin and on a metal framing system it also needs expansion joints from not having sufficient thermal mass to resist the sun heating the surface in addition to having a different coefficient of expansion than the clip system holding it. Since these veneers are also typically poor rain screens, there's also a need for flashing, weeps, drainage mats, and the typical air cavity in order for moisture to find its way out one way or another.

Older steel framed structures had their brick skins as self supporting constructions with the occasional tie in for relief around lintels, or hidden behind decorative courses. The brick or masonry was sufficient in mass, homogeneous in material (or at least close enough), and generally dense enough, to resist too much expansion from the sun and prevent deep water infiltration. Structural strength brick and masonry is denser and fired longer too, resulting in it being less porous than the cheap veneer stuff used today. This is why dirt cheap mills from the 1850s sometimes look better than 10 year old veneer brick from the effects of weathering.

Lurker not challenging your construction knowledge but you kind of homogenized a hundred years of evolution of building technilogy into a few sentences

originallly there were load bearing masonry walls -- all shaped as "pyramids" thick at the bottom progressively thiner as you went up -- think a medevil cathedral or the Ames building

beginning in the mid 19th Century -- cast iron -- very good for colums -- masonry walls still supporting themselves -- so they could be much thinner but still tapered in thickness -- think Boston Wharf Buildings

early 20th Centrury -- the 'elastic" steel frame with an exterior skin -- still a lot of coupling -- think Art Decco stuctures through early modern design -- think 185 Franklin or old John Hancock

mid-late 20th Cenury -- Finie element design "plastic" steel frame with suspended skin -- windows, titanium, concrete, marble, brick, wood -- its all just a "picture hanging on a virtual wall" -- think the new John Hancock or International Place

Damn, I just learned more from you two in 2 posts than I did my entire semester of Materials & Methods. Thanks. =)

I'll second that thanks! Things makes a lot more sense now.

Seeing something like that old wall made me question why things are being built like this now. I figured that architects and engineers were either suddenly extraordinarily paranoid about the effects of weather - or that something else was to blame.

Lurker not challenging your construction knowledge but you kind of homogenized a hundred years of evolution of building technilogy into a few sentences

That was my intent. What's the issue with what I posted? I didn't go off into detail about iron framed or reinforced buildings because the earliest ones weren't that different from masonry ones and the later ones, exempting complicated schemes, weren't that different from steel framed structures.

Welding technology versus rivets also had an effect on building construction as did the switch from S to W flanges.

Back