Liberty Wharf | 220-270 Northern Ave | Seaport

Re: Liberty Wharf (Jimmy's Harborside)

Coming along...
wharf.jpg

I still feel that in great cities you should be able to tell what city you are in just by looking at the buildings.

What's that thing on the roof? Looks like it will have a canopy or something up there? Roof deck?

I still feel that in great cities you should be able to tell what city you are in just by looking at the buildings.

This applies to Boston, just not the Seaport District, which I guess is the point.

Thank you! Finally someone else who doesn't think this building is some kind of vindication of the Seaport's potential. If this were plopped somewhere along 495, would it look like a natural office park or would you think "hm, that looks like it belongs in Boston/the Seaport"? Take a guess...

^I get the point but I still like this. Walked by it a little over a week ago. It's coming along nicely.

This project appeals to me as well. Makes me think of an ocean liner, through the eyes of Richard Neutra. And it doesn't look like dogshit. Hope it plays well on the street.

That said, no one's gonna mistake it for an example of Critical Regionalism.

It does not look much like an office park to me. Does it evoke Boston, no, not really, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be built. When I look at this building, the ICA, and Louis (controversial or not, I group it with the others), I think of Amsterdam. We could do a lot worse than having a newer section of waterfront looking like some of the newer buildings in Amsterdam.

I think of Amsterdam.

Louis Boston:Amsterdam::Louis XIV chair:plastic Holiday Inn reproduction

I have to chime in and say I like this building. I passed by it yesterday and I like the scale of it. I think its best side is the front. It's a good, solid building that will withstand a harsh winter on the waterfront. That being said, I do think it lacks color. The original rendering shows colorful awnings and colorful umbrella topped tables which added more color. Ideally, boats will be moored in front of it and of course, landscaping always helps. I'm looking forward to dining there when it opens. I will be curious to see if the Legal Test Kitchen across the street can remain open or if it will be sold to another restauranteur. I'm thinking the latter.

pass it today
132-1.jpg
134-1.jpg
135-1.jpg
136-1.jpg
137-1.jpg
138-2.jpg
141-1.jpg
140-1.jpg
139-2.jpg
the 3rd building?
142-2.jpg

Impressive. Sad that it is better than the ICA.

Why hasn't the ICA been sued yet by the IGA store in New York/Connecticut? They blatantly ripped off the logo.

2IGA_4c.gif

Totally disagree. Sure, Liberty Wharf is a very clean and attractive set of buildings that (hopefully) will do a lot to humanize the scale of the neighborhood, but the ICA is iconic.

I like the looks of the place from the photos. I'm glad they mixed it up a little with the color scheme/materials. The ICA would benefit from some exterior color - as it is, there's not enough contrast against the daytime sky

Totally disagree. Sure, Liberty Wharf is a very clean and attractive set of buildings that (hopefully) will do a lot to humanize the scale of the neighborhood, but the ICA is iconic.

So is City Hall. Iconic does not always equal better (though in this case I agree with you that the ICA is a more impressive building).

Value-engineering the redwood siding off of the front facade of the ICA (the ribbon-like surface above the glazing) was a mistake.

Liberty Wharf is nice, but let's not get carried away.

Sit out on the ICA's harbor deck on a breezy summer day and tell me it's not the best addition to the Boston waterfront since Rowes Wharf.

Liberty Wharf is nice, but let's not get carried away.

Sit out on the ICA's harbor deck on a breezy summer day and tell me it's not the best addition to the Boston waterfront since Rowes Wharf.

When it is surrounded by mediocre buildings it won't be. Liberty Wharf also doesn't turn it's back to the city, ICA does. True, they are two different buildings with different purposes, but I think in 40 years Liberty will be in better shape and will have more love (you guys remember I.M. Pei's addition to the MFA, right?)

Back