Logan Airport Capital Projects

I realize Brandenburg is the exception, and they keep finding design flaws. Terminal 5 at LHR took six years.

I believe Logan's terminals are largely funded by landing fees and rents. If you build gates and nobody uses them, that will look poorly on the balance sheet. The future expansion of E is predicated on international traffic at Logan growing substantially over time. Massport should not get too far ahead of that curve.

Terminal 5 at LHR is a world class facility with the main terminal itself and then 2 smaller midfield terminals. You're talking about a 40 plus gate facility. Not surprising it took several years to complete. It's unfortunate that we're never going to see a facility that could exceed, match or really come close to Terminal 5.

I see this as a smart investment by Massport and really this project should have started back in 2014. Terminal E is insufficient for the level of international air service Logan has for the last several years. The 380 gates should be a big help to alleviating some of the stress on the terminal. Even if Logan were to see a modest cut in international service Terminal E still would be insufficient.

You also have to think that down the road Massport is going to need to do something to Terminal C for JetBlue.

Not to undermine your point of the scope (this is a major terminal addition), but it does not have ticketing. Ticketing will remain only in the existing part of E. The new terminal addition (except for the BL walkway) is entirely sterile accessed thru the central checkpoint. It is simply a continuation of the A380 arm.

Datadyne -- No that was one of the alternatives

see [with formatting for ease of reading and highlighting:
VOLUME I
Terminal E Modernization Project
Boston-Logan International Airport
EAST BOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS
EEA# 15434
July 15, 2016

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

The new areas of the terminal would extend from the western end of existing Terminal E and will be four stories in height, and approximately 560,000 square feet in total area.

Within the terminal, space would be provided for amenities to support future passenger volumes, including additional ticket counters, new holdrooms, the potential for a satellite Customs and Border Protection facility, baggage carousels, restrooms, etc.

Additions to the terminal will be phased with four gates and associated facilities to be constructed by 2022 and the remaining gates and terminal areas to be completed by 2028.

The new terminal configuration would require relocation of some facilities and operations on the airside and landside that are currently occupying the space the new terminal would be built upon. Aircraft parking areas and ground service equipment storage would be shifted to maximize the space available on the existing paved areas of the apron and ramp. The relocated activities and associated changes in ground transportation operations are included in the analysis of environmental effects......

The Terminal E Modernization Project (see Figure 1-3) would extend the existing concourse, terminal core, and terminal roadway frontages.

The concourse extension would connect to the Gate 12 area of the existing terminal.

The extension of the terminal core would include additional ticketing, airline offices, bag screening, and bag make-up facilities, and would have the potential to allow separate Customs and Boarder Protection facilities including Immigration Control and Bag Claim/Customs facilities.

The roadways in front of Terminal E would be upgraded to accommodate the new building configuration and provide for efficient curbside operations along the new terminal frontage for passenger pick-up and drop-off for both high-occupancy vehicles (e.g., buses and shuttles) and private vehicles. The footprint of the new terminal and roadways would require some relocation of existing facilities and associated operations including the gas station and United Parcel Service (UPS) airside facilities. These would be relocated on Airport.

The Terminal E Modernization Project would provide a direct passenger connection from the terminal to the MBTA Blue Line Airport Station. This weather-protected passenger connection underscores Massport’s commitment to accommodating and promoting the use of transit and high-occupancy vehicle modes of transportation Airport-wide.

On page I-9 there is diagram showing the footprint of the existing Terminal E [including the "A-380 Enhancement" on one end] and in green the footprint of the Addition

More details of the interface with existing E [including A-380 Concourse] at different levels is provided by Figures on pages III-33 [Fig 3-9] through III-39 [Fig 3-12]

The chosen alternative is a typically Massport hybrid -- neither a satellite terminal [such as the A satellite], nor a fully independent terminal -- it is connected both inside and security to the A-380 [enhancement aks addition] to Terminal E and outside of security to the meet and Greet [ground floor] and Grand Ticketing hall [level 2]

There is a series of diagrams [not really renders] which show the options and finally the preferred Alternative [Option D] -- which then in Massport fashion will be constructed incrementally [keeping up with the demand for International travel]

Last edited:
Datadyne -- No that was one of the alternatives

see [with formatting for ease of reading and highlighting:

On page I-9 there is diagram showing the footprint of the existing Terminal E [including the "A-380 Enhancement" on one end] and in green the footprint of the Addition

More details of the interface with existing E [including A-380 Concourse] at different levels is provided by Figures on pages III-33 [Fig 3-9] through III-39 [Fig 3-12]

The chosen alternative is a typically Massport hybrid -- neither a satellite terminal [such as the A satellite], nor a fully independent terminal -- it is connected both inside and security to the A-380 [enhancement aks addition] to Terminal E and outside of security to the meet and Greet [ground floor] and Grand Ticketing hall [level 2]

There is a series of diagrams [not really renders] which show the options and finally the preferred Alternative [Option D] -- which then in Massport fashion will be constructed incrementally [keeping up with the demand for International travel]
In Post 75, you posted the DEIR quote saying they selected Alt D with a list of program that did not include ticket counters.

Also, you keep referencing random documents, but aren't providing links to them.

In Post 75, you posted the DEIR quote saying they selected Alt D with a list of program that did not include ticket counters.

Also, you keep referencing random documents, but aren't providing links to them.

Datadyne -- you could do the Googling -- I gave you titles, names, dates, document numbers

and I even think that I provided the link back a couple of months ago

BUT anyway here it is:
https://www.massport.com/media/402198/EA_DEIR_CD-Version_Volume-I.pdf
ENJOY -- its over 600 pages and 100 MB

PS: this document mentions in the Preferred Alternative [d]: as quoted from the Table of Alternatives
Connection to Terminal E via gate concourse and ticketing hall

and from the Summary of the Proposed Action
The new portion of the extended Terminal E structure would be four stories in height with a height ranging from 45 feet to 70 feet, and approximately 560,000 square feet of total area.

Within the terminal, space would be provided for passenger amenities to support future volumes, including additional ticket counters, new holdrooms at each of the seven new gates, the potential for a satellite Customs and Border Protection facility, four additional baggage carousels, restrooms, and club spaces, as well as retail space.

The new terminal area would require additional heating and cooling requirements. These would be provided from the existing Central Heating and Cooling Plant by planned efficiency upgrades over the next few years.

In addition to the above elements, Massport is also considering the installation of a new rooftop solar array on the extended terminal concourse.

Fairly explicitly implying both more Ticketing and more passenger screening checkpoints

The drawings show both a secure connection to the A-380 Concourse and an pre-security connection to the end of the building core

I don't have any way to post the illustrations from a pdf -- so I provided the page #s and figure #s

Datadyne -- you could do the Googling -- I gave you titles, names, dates, document numbers

and I even think that I provided the link back a couple of months ago

BUT anyway here it is:
https://www.massport.com/media/402198/EA_DEIR_CD-Version_Volume-I.pdf
ENJOY -- its over 600 pages and 100 MB

PS: this document mentions in the Preferred Alternative [d]: as quoted from the Table of Alternatives

and from the Summary of the Proposed Action

Fairly explicitly implying both more Ticketing and more passenger screening checkpoints

The drawings show both a secure connection to the A-380 Concourse and an pre-security connection to the end of the building core

I don't have any way to post the illustrations from a pdf -- so I provided the page #s and figure #s

I stand corrected. Earlier iterations had discussed extending the concourse only & that E's ticketing hall was large enough. The scheme that was chosen includes new ticketing & security.

Also, woah:

jhhH9TMh.png

oldP5H8h.png

rCV8X1fh.png

PhsWhS4h.png

wKyCIL7h.png

wsVuvngh.png

84pZ7Rsh.png

ToMtOGsh.png

T9vx9Feh.png

oFGf3UIh.png
WJptGiwh.png

It's now official -- if you want in you have only a few days to go to submit your qualifications 11/22/2016 12:00 PM and then your response to the RFQ as Construction Manager at Risk mid January 2017 -- the prize you are aiming at is $450M and 560k sq ft

For the rest of us who are "sidewalk superintendents" or just lunkers -- here's where you go to get the latest information released to the prospective bidders
https://www.massport.com/business-w...t-massport/capital-programs/detail/?proj=L338
the documents on the above website includes a 12 page powerpoint set of slides presented to the prospective CMR's at a recent briefing -- note slide 5 which is a compact graphical overview of the whole thing

For all of us -- here's a bit of what Massport has in mind:

REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS

L338 TERMINAL E MODERNIZATION
BOSTON LOGAN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION PACKAGE
MPA Contract No. L338
October 20, 2016

Scope of Work:
The Authority is seeking a qualified multidiscipline consulting firm or team, with proven experience to provide professional services including vision architectural design, architectural and engineering design, and construction related services including resident inspection and project controls relative to the modernization of Terminal E, to efficiently accommodate current and projected international operations and passengers.

The Terminal E Modernization Project will extend the existing concourse, terminal core, and terminal road way frontages.

...The consultant shall demonstrate experience in several disciplines including but not limited to:
  • Visioning Architecture for airport design,
  • Architectural Design, Interior Design, Lighting Design, Art,
  • Airside Planning, Baggage System Design,
  • Civil, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Fire Protection, Acoustics,
  • Noise Analysis, Security System Design,
  • Customs and Border Protection Design,
  • Signage,
  • Vertical and Horizontal Transportation Systems,
  • Fuel Distribution System Design,
  • Geotechnical,
  • Landscape Architecture, Resiliency, Sustainability,
  • Code Compliance,
  • Asset Management, Lean Design and Construction, Cost Estimating, Construction Phasing,
  • Virtual Design and Construction (VDC/BIM) for all disciplines and Scheduling.
  • The consultant shall also have demonstrated experience
    with Construction Management at Risk, MGL Chapter 149A.
Project Scope:
Full project scope of L338 Terminal E Modernization shall include, but not be limited to,
  • new construction of approximately 560,000 square feet of building addition and renovations to the existing Terminal E structure.
    The new structure is to be a four (4) story addition with a height ranging from 45 feet to 70 feet.
  • Existing Terminal E renovations are required to support passenger increased volumes including:
    • additional ticket counters,
    • Customs and Border Protection facility increases,
    • additional baggage carousels,
    • and passenger amenities.
  • New jet fuel hydrants at seven (7) new gates are required
  • and adjustments to the storm water system to reduce paved area drainage and pick up more roof runoff is to be included.
  • Additional heating and cooling is required for the new structure and this project will
    tie into heating and cooling systems from the existing Central Heating and Cooling Plant that is planned for efficiency upgrades over the next few years.
  • The new terminal building will increase electrical demand and a new electrical
    substation is required for the project.
  • Reconfiguration of roadways and exit ramps adjacent to Terminal E are required,
    as well as one additional lane is to be added at the outer curb to provide a total of four lanes.
  • Modifications to the North Cargo Area and North Apron are required to accommodate the new larger terminal configuration.
  • In addition to the modernization of Terminal E, Massport will also provide a new weather-protected direct pedestrian connection to the MBTA Blue Line subway station.
Construction of the project is to be completed in two phases. Project L338 Terminal E Modernization Preliminary Design will encompass the entire project scope as defined above, including coordination with a new weather protected direct pedestrian connection to the MBTA Blue Line subway station. Project Design Development/Final Design and Construction Administration will encompass Phase 1 of the project which includes a building addition and renovations to the existing Terminal E structure to accommodate 4 new passenger gates and all associated required support spaces and passenger amenities, air side site development and roadway and exit ramp development for all 7 gates, building infrastructure and systems shall be sized and readied for all 7 gates.

Not included in Phase 1 of the project is:
  • design and construction of 3 passenger gates and all associated required support spaces and passenger amenities,
  • as well as a new weather-protected direct pedestrian connection to the MBTA Blue Line subway station.
Functional elements not included in Phase 1 will be completed as future Massport projects.

Thanks, Whigh. So, just to be clear...there are currently three gates under construction in Terminal E which means, when Phase 1 and Phase 2 of this new project are completed sometime during the next 12 freaking years, there will be a total of ten new gates, correct?

Last edited:
Thanks, Whigh. So, my question is...there are currently three gates under construction in Terminal E which means, when Phase 1 and Phase 2 of this project are completed sometime during the next 12 freaking years, there will be a total of ten new gates?

No. The three gates under construction were existing gates, so no net gain.

Longer term, if Alaska moves from C's orphan gates to B, and the post-security connector between the rest of C and the orphan gates is built, JetBlue will take those. That could result in JetBlue moving out of the old E gates (now low-numbered C gates) that are part of the C-E connector.

Longer term, if Alaska moves from C's orphan gates to B, and the post-security connector between the rest of C and the orphan gates is built, JetBlue will take those. That could result in JetBlue moving out of the old E gates (now low-numbered C gates) that are part of the C-E connector.

Are those gates, the ones on the C-E connector, capable of handing aircraft larger than an A320?

Stellar -- we are getting gates confused with Gates -- where's Bill when we need him?

More seriously:
  • Term E has 12 gates now [although the numbers are strange post the absorption of terminal D]]
    3 additional gates were planned and permitted but never built after the collapse in international flights post 9-11
  • Gates [10, 11, 12] are being enhanced for the A380 class airplanes and also more passenger waiting capacity [hold room space in airport parlance], more shops, and more club space -- this is the project soon to be completed
  • The next project -- phase 1 will build the 3 origibally permitted gates + 1 other -- so somewhere around 2021 or so Terminal E and E' will have 16 gates
  • The final phase of the the new project -- phase 2 -- would add 3 additional gates with completion around 2028 or so depending on demand -- circa 2028 Terminal E would have 19 gates
so when all is said and done there will be a net 7 new gates, lots more waiting space, more customs, baggage, shops, clubs -- almost a new Terminal

I am curious is Massport is going to insist that the exterior of Phase 1 and 2 match the soon to be completed expansion?

[*] The final phase of the the new project -- phase 2 -- would add 3 additional gates with completion around 2028 or so depending on demand

So, will the enclosed walkway to the Blue Line be built even if the 3 additional gates are not built due to lack of demand? Or is Phase 2, an all or nothing phase?

I'm a little surprised the surface lots at E are staying that way - make one of them a garage, and you can use the other for construction staging. ...

So, will the enclosed walkway to the Blue Line be built even if the 3 additional gates are not built due to lack of demand? Or is Phase 2, an all or nothing phase?

Atlantaden -- that's a good question -- the information provided to the prospective teams tells them that they need to do the planning and design for all of Term E' but that their current work is limited to the completion of the 4 Gates, and supporting stuff etc.

slightly edited and reformatted for clarity -- from the original document quoted before
Construction of the project is to be completed in two phases.

Project L338 Terminal E Modernization Preliminary Design will encompass the entire project scope as defined above, including coordination with a new weather protected direct pedestrian connection to the MBTA Blue Line subway station.
  • Phase 1:
    includes a building addition and renovations to the existing Terminal E structure to accommodate 4 new passenger gates and all associated required support spaces and passenger amenities, air side site development and roadway and exit ramp development for all 7 gates, building infrastructure and systems shall be sized and readied for all 7 gates.
  • Phase 2 i.e. Not included in Phase 1 of the project:

Design and construction of 3 passenger gates and all associated required support spaces and passenger amenities, as well as a new weather-protected direct pedestrian connection to the MBTA Blue Line subway station.
Functional elements not included in Phase 1 will be completed as future Massport projects.

That's what the document reads -- I'm assuming that there is some punctuation missing and that what they expect to be presented to them is a design for a structure which can be temporarily truncated after 4 gates. However all of the systems and support stuff is sized for 7 new gates. So I would guess perhaps a modular approach with each self contained modules handling 1 gates? or perhaps 2 modules one of 3 and one of 4 gates.

As Massport alludes the additional gates and Blue Line connector will be built -- it's just that since there is no funding commitment by the Massport Board at this time -- so legally Massport can't include it in the scope of the RFQ

If current trends continue -- big If -- Massport will certainly revisit Phase 2 fairly soon and it might turn into something similar to what is happening now -- one project will essentially just merge into the next.

Last edited:
I was reading about Minoru Yamasaki and came across the now-demolished Eastern Airlines Terminal/Terminal A at Logan... I guess I must've seen it a million times since it was demolished only in '02, but I don't remember it.

tumblr_nr1j87x0kN1qilr35o1_1280.jpg

east3.png

east2.png

24_eat.jpg

I was reading about Minoru Yamasaki and came across the now-demolished Eastern Airlines Terminal/Terminal A at Logan... I guess I must've seen it a million times since it was demolished only in '02, but I don't remember it.

Yeah - weird thing is that I don't remember any pushback on Massport when they tore it down. That would seem like it could be absolutely gorgeous if you replaced the glass and cleaned the concrete (and gutted the interior for modern use), but between Massport and Delta they never seemed to seriously consider it.

Yeah - weird thing is that I don't remember any pushback on Massport when they tore it down. That would seem like it could be absolutely gorgeous if you replaced the glass and cleaned the concrete (and gutted the interior for modern use), but between Massport and Delta they never seemed to seriously consider it.

Minoru Yamasaki is one of my favorite architects and I too am sad that it is gone, but it just wasn't up to modern standards, especially energy-wise, but also from a capacity standpoint. Delta & Massport wanted a shiny new terminal designed by HOK that would become the first LEED Certified airport terminal in the world.

Also, how awesome was that parking on the roof?!

Minoru Yamasaki is one of my favorite architects and I too am sad that it is gone, but it just wasn't up to modern standards, especially energy-wise, but also from a capacity standpoint. Delta & Massport wanted a shiny new terminal designed by HOK that would become the first LEED Certified airport terminal in the world.

Also, how awesome was that parking on the roof?!

Both the efficiency and capacity issues could have been addressed in a gut reno, no? It would have had all new curtain walls and significant additions (all the gate areas would have been new construction, for instance). Something like this, with the red areas new-build (with low-roofed connectors so that the buttresses could be seen form all sides). The main building would be nothing but ticketing and security, the way it is at C.

2n1z61f.png

Globe: Massport Moves Closer to Adding Parking Spaces at Logan

Boston Globe said:
Massachusetts Port Authority chief executive Thomas Glynn said the agency would build one garage on a surface lot next to Terminal E that would have around 1,250 spaces but eliminate 240 existing spaces. The second, a much-larger project with about 4,000 spaces, would involve expanding the Economy garage along the Service Road near the entrance to the airport.

The two projects will cost $250 million, and Glynn said Massport could file plans with state environmental regulators within two months. However, the start of construction could be as much as two years off, in part because Massport first needs state officials to amend a parking freeze that limits commercial spaces at the airport to 18,640.

Interesting. I wonder if Parsons-Brinckerhoff & Arrowstreet will go for it again like the West Garage Expansion.

Back