Logan Airport Capital Projects

Well, damn! I was hoping for the glass-enclosed jetways! Such a disappointment!

Is there an airport in the US that has the glass jetways?

My favourite is the European low cost airlines where you walk onto the tarmac and into either the front or rear door. Why can't the American low cost carriers do that? It could speed up the boarding process going in the front and the rear door. (I understand why that would be a bad option for an A380 but it works well for 737s and a320s)

My favourite is the European low cost airlines where you walk onto the tarmac and into either the front or rear door. Why can't the American low cost carriers do that? It could speed up the boarding process going in the front and the rear door. (I understand why that would be a bad option for an A380 but it works well for 737s and a320s)

They do that in Australia too. It's a little different when you walk outside onto the tarmac and enter through the rear but it was pretty fast boarding the Virgin Australia 737.

They do that in Australia too. It's a little different when you walk outside onto the tarmac and enter through the rear but it was pretty fast boarding the Virgin Australia 737.
This is called "hardstanding."

The Terminal E Expansion DEIR identifies that Logan does often have to hardstand jets on the apron and bus passengers to the terminal. The image shown is a WOW jet. Makes sense, as its a budget Europe carrier.

No airport wants to hardstand. They do it out of necessity, especially the smaller airports (fewer real gates) in major European cities that have experienced exponential growth in traffic.

maPp24gh.png

Well, now that glass jetways are legal in this country, it's too bad that Massport doesn't use them in their new construction. I don't believe that construction zones are the reason (if anything could damage a jetway, it could definitely damage a parked jet) or the cost, as stated in the article. It's probably inertia, we got windowless jetways now, why change?

http://lufthansaflyer.boardingarea.com/knew‽-glass-jet-bridges-illegal-north-america-now/

This is called "hardstanding."

The Terminal E Expansion DEIR identifies that Logan does often have to hardstand jets on the apron and bus passengers to the terminal. The image shown is a WOW jet. Makes sense, as its a budget Europe carrier.

No airport wants to hardstand. They do it out of necessity, especially the smaller airports (fewer real gates) in major European cities that have experienced exponential growth in traffic.

maPp24gh.png

At the airport in Cairns, half the plane went through the jet bridge, half the plane walked outside the door and up the stairs into the back. The plane was parked at a gate at the terminal.

I've done the typical hardstand where you ride a bus to a plane parked away from the terminal. We did this in Brisbane.

We got the full run of boarding setups in Australia.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the point of glass jetways? Is it just so you have a more interesting view for the 75 seconds you stand in them each flight? Do people actually care about this?

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the point of glass jetways? Is it just so you have a more interesting view for the 75 seconds you stand in them each flight? Do people actually care about this?

There is no point. There's no return on investment. The countries that do have them actually fund their infrastructure & have the cash to waste on niceties like glass jetways for pretty marketing photos.

Ryanair and other European LCC do it as often as they can even if the airport has jetways. It really does speed up the boarding process and personally I like walking past the plane outside in order to board. Jetways seem pointless to me.

Ryanair and other European LCC do it as often as they can even if the airport has jetways. It really does speed up the boarding process and personally I like walking past the plane outside in order to board. Jetways seem pointless to me.

You say that as an able-bodied person. Jetways were invented so jet aircraft travel could be accessible to all.

How do disabled people board hardstanded planes? Is there a chair lift on those stairs?

How do disabled people board hardstanded planes? Is there a chair lift on those stairs?

Ive seen giant ramps used

My least favorite experience is when you walk down the jetway, and at the ed there are stairs, and then youre on the ground and then you walk to the stairs to get back on the plane.

They do this when the plane is too small for the jetway

Try boarding on the tarmac in mid-winter in any northern city, and your opinion will change.

I've done it in Moscow in February, and trust me it is not a fun or fast experience.

I've seen them use the cabin/food service trucks before in Europe. Honestly, it looks like it would be a pretty humiliating experience to be loaded on like cargo.

The reality is that Europe has generally-favorable weather for being in un-conditioned / less-conditioned spaces. If you can shed the rain, you'll never be too hot, too cold, or too humid
- it ain't the tropics like Atlanta, Houston, or Miami
- they don't have tropical storms (much)
- they don't have blizzards or noreasters (much)

The French, for example, have chosen to take August off which is their way of "spending" the 10% of GDP that Americans spend, instead, on HVAC.

The USA is an HVAC civilization, and that extends to staying "indoors" when we to/from our airplanes.

There is no point. There's no return on investment. The countries that do have them actually fund their infrastructure & have the cash to waste on niceties like glass jetways for pretty marketing photos.

Wow! So surprising coming from an architect. A waste of cash?? So, why have niceties like lighting on public buildings, on bridges, having artwork in public buildings and airports, why bother with anything interesting and fun for the public? Thankfully the Board of Directors of the Boston Public Library didn't take that same view when they redid the main library at Copley. And yes, I do care for the 75 seconds I might see the Zakim lit up in all it's purple as I drive over it at night, or see City Hall and the new government center T station all lit up. And yes, I do enjoy walking through a glass jetway, or the glass-enclosed moving sidewalks connecting Terminal E to Terminal A, seeing the sea creatures imbedded in the flooring of those walkways, and I love the new little fluttering thingies attached to the new parking garage at Logan, or any other number of places for the small amount of time I might find myself in them. It makes, for me anyway, a much more pleasant experience which I consider a very nice return on investment.

Last edited:

Back