Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Truly bizarre. So were the original "Yes" stories fake, such that they had to issue the "No" repudiation, or is there some crazier reason (board dissent?) or smarter reason (market-testing the idea) that they've gone from Yes to No?

Publicity stunt perhaps?

Absolutely everything they do is a publicity stunt.
And I can easily believe they have ways of measuring consumer interest in possible new service via social media metrics. If a stunt, it was probably very carefully measured.

I don't believe Air Berlin is in expansion mode unfortunately. They only have 1 widebody on order and recently cut Miami-Berlin.

Berlin is very new to Ryanair as well. I wouldn't be surprised if its in Phase II of whatever they do for transatlantic travel.

I think London-Stansted and Dublin will happen to the area and its 48% chance to Boston, 48% chance to Providence and 2% chance of Manchester NH.

Berlin however is heavily invested [B's of ecu's] in trying to up its profile as an International Airport with the opening of the Flughafen Berlin Brandenburg [BER] on the site of the old Communist-era Flughafen Schönefeld [SXF] while West Berlin's Flughafen Berlin-Tegel ("Otto Lilienthal") [TXL] follows the legendary Flughafen Berlin-Tempelhof [THF] into RR's proverbial Dust Bin of History -- how dusty -- how ironic :cool:

Since Lufthansa is so heavily committed to München und Frankfurt the heavy lifting to make Berlin BER synonymous with Germany to airline cognoscenti will have to be done by another airline -- the obvious candidate is Air Berlin although there are other low cost EU versions of Jet Blue such as: Ryan, Germanwings, Eurowings, Easy Jet or even Wizzair

Since Lufthansa is so heavily committed to München und Frankfurt the heavy lifting to make Berlin BER synonymous with Germany to airline cognoscenti will have to be done by another airline -- the obvious candidate is Air Berlin although there are other low cost EU versions of Jet Blue such as: Ryan, Germanwings, Eurowings, Easy Jet or even Wizzair

That airport has become Berlin's Big Dig and it may not open until 2018.

Air Berlin cancelled over 30 plane orders last year. I don't see how they add anything and they only fly the following USA routes

Dusseldorf-JFK/Miami/Fort Myers/seasonal LA
Berlin Tegel - JFK/Chicago OHare

I am surprised that Air Berlin has not buddied up in any way with JetBlue which would always help to support a Boston flight.

That airport has become Berlin's Big Dig and it may not open until 2018.

Air Berlin cancelled over 30 plane orders last year. I don't see how they add anything and they only fly the following USA routes

Dusseldorf-JFK/Miami/Fort Myers/seasonal LA
Berlin Tegel - JFK/Chicago OHare

I am surprised that Air Berlin has not buddied up in any way with JetBlue which would always help to support a Boston flight.

Adam -- I think the "Berlin's Big Dig" may explain a lot -- I was very peripherally involved in a project related to airport security that had a tenuous connection with both Air Berlin and BER -- this was back when 2012 - 2013 looked like the opening date

If the opening of BER is now 2018 any Air Berlin expansion will probably go on hold for at least 2 years as it would now have to be in Tegel and that's the last thing they want to do

Perhaps the Ryan expansion -- they are developing a good sized footprint in Berlin is also timed for the opening of BER and so may have been delayed

Deadly Crash of GermanWings A-320 plane in French Alps
Plane was carrying 150 -- no survivors expected

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...rench-Alps-with-148-people-on-board-live.html

Germanwings plane flying from Barcelona to Dusseldorf disappeared off the radar before crashing near Digne-les-Bains

• Debris found at altitude of 6,500ft after crash near Digne les Bains
• "No survivors", says France's transport minister
• German, Spanish and Turkish passengers among victims

I'm not one to complain about posting "off topic" in a forum--if figure my off-topic may be on-topic for others and my eyeballs have this amazing capacity to skip over stuff :), but I do hope people don't just post general news items that are related to "airplanes" or "streets" or "stuff." That kind of defeats the purpose of a forum.

^ We should probably either change the title of this thread, or (better IMO) make a separate "Aviation" thread in a different subforum.

If this thread is about "Logan Flight Additions" then that's what should go here. Maybe we want to keep it that way, or maybe it should become a general "Logan Airport" thread. It seems to be used that way.

I'm not one to complain about posting "off topic" in a forum--if figure my off-topic may be on-topic for others and my eyeballs have this amazing capacity to skip over stuff :), but I do hope people don't just post general news items that are related to "airplanes" or "streets" or "stuff." That kind of defeats the purpose of a forum.

Tomb -- yes and no

Yes -- The specific topic was relevant because of the very recent discussion of EU low cost carriers possible coming to Logan -- Germanwings and Ryan Air as well as others

No -- this thread should be mostly restricted to changes in flights and airlines and Logan and relevant changes to Logan's physical infrastructure as they are often linked

WOW has landed the era of cheap fares to Europe is upon us

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...56NZReHcFXWHZJr5sNkM/story.html?event=event25

The Boston Globe
Business
BOSTON.COM

Wow Air’s first flight to land at Logan today

By Jack Newsham GLOBE CORRESPONDENT MARCH 27, 2015
Wow Air, the low-cost Icelandic airline, will be landing its first flight at Logan Airport on Friday evening.

It’s a big affair for the no-frills carrier. Iceland’s ambassador to the United States and the US ambassador to Iceland will be greeting passengers, and the company’s chief executive, Skúli Mogensen, will be there.

The company, which bills itself as a “happy” airline, announced its plans to expand service to Boston in October, and has a flight scheduled six days a week between Boston and Reykjavik. From its base on the North Atlantic island, the carrier also provides connecting service to Dublin, London, Copenhagen, Berlin, and Paris.

The airline was founded by Mogensen, a tech entrepreneur and investor, in 2011. It has just four planes and 175 employees, according to its website, but it flies to more than a dozen cities in Europe and has plans to add Washington, D.C., as a US destination this spring.

Emirates has loaded a second daily flight according to people on airliners.net who scan Global Distribution Networks for flight additions.

From: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/6370398/

"According to GDS, EK will start a second flight to Boston from 01OCT15

The schedule is as follows:

EK 239 DXB BOS 0320 0855
EK 240 BOS DXB 1155 0815+1"

This is unreal.

1)Is three hours enough to unload a 77W at E and taxi to C?
2)Can they really fill these flights with Boston origination traffic and connections from JetBlue? There will be over 700 seats a day going to Dubai.

EDIT: Flight is bookable on emirates.com

Wow, Emirates really is going on the offensive against US carriers. They added Orlando, made Seattle double daily and now have made Boston double daily. I am worried they won't be able to fill these planes profitably and they will hurt the existing Logan carriers.

Either way it will be nice to see the 77W coming into Boston twice a day.

Wow, Emirates really is going on the offensive against US carriers. They added Orlando, made Seattle double daily and now have made Boston double daily. I am worried they won't be able to fill these planes profitably and they will hurt the existing Logan carriers.

Either way it will be nice to see the 77W coming into Boston twice a day.

Its going to be interesting for sure. I'm wondering if they wind up stealing passengers from Cathay, Hainan and JAL? The only saving factor is that all of these flights tap into enormous populations (especially India and China).

EDIT: Emirates is much higher than other carriers for Boston-China from what I've seen. Typically an American carrier or Hainan is low-fare carrier.

The European and American carriers are fighting back a little. Check 1-stop flights to Dubai. Some dates even in peak summer (which is brutally hot in Dubai) are sub 700 on Lufthansa/Swiss/United. Also, in July - United or Lufthansa tends to be the low fare carrier to Mumbai.

Last edited:
Its going to be interesting for sure. I'm wondering if they wind up stealing passengers from Cathay, Hainan and JAL? The only saving factor is that all of these flights tap into enormous populations (especially India and China).

EDIT: Emirates is much higher than other carriers for Boston-China from what I've seen. Typically an American carrier or Hainan is low-fare carrier.

The European and American carriers are fighting back a little. Check 1-stop flights to Dubai. Some dates even in peak summer (which is brutally hot in Dubai) are sub 700 on Lufthansa/Swiss/United. Also, in July - United or Lufthansa tends to be the low fare carrier to Mumbai.

More ignorant foolishness. Taking small meaningless snap shots of airfare searches or even using publicly available data for that matter doesn't give you the full picture. If you were able to look at a more granular level and compare different points of sale you would come to a different conclusion. Those of us with access to services like Diio better understand what is really at play here.

More ignorant foolishness. Taking small meaningless snap shots of airfare searches or even using publicly available data for that matter doesn't give you the full picture. If you were able to look at a more granular level and compare different points of sale you would come to a different conclusion. Those of us with access to services like Diio better understand what is really at play here.

Instead of being a tool, why don't you share your superior knowledge with us?

Instead of being a tool, why don't you share your superior knowledge with us?

JAL and Hainan primarily sell out of their respective bases as they appeal to and tailor their offerings to the local market. Sure, EK may steal a few price sensitive students and leisure travelers that don't mind backtracking and spending time in Dubai but they will hardly steal Cathay, JAL or Hainan's bread and butter, especially in the premium cabins among local point of sale.

JAL and Hainan primarily sell out of their respective bases as they appeal to and tailor their offerings to the local market. Sure, EK may steal a few price sensitive students and leisure travelers that don't mind backtracking and spending time in Dubai but they will hardly steal Cathay, JAL or Hainan's bread and butter, especially in the premium cabins among local point of sale.

Tell us something we don't already know.

I am waiting on Emirates to add flights to Detroit and Atlanta to really stick it to the American carriers. Adding those two would round out their American network nicely.

Back