Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Why do you want Emirates to harm the US carriers?

I'd rather see the Big 3 US carriers be able to compete on international routes, make a good margin on those, and be able to maintain and upgrade their domestic service in part thanks to the higher international margins.

The alternative is the intentionally loss-making plaything/ marketing tool of a corrupt, human-rights-abusing dictatorship ravages the US carriers' most profitable routes (see: Lufthansa) and US passengers wind up with worse service on the routes they take (by far) the most: domestic ones.

You may have a beef against some of the (often federal-government-induced) stupid decisions the US legacy carriers have made over the years. But my contempt for them doesn't exceed that for skeezy Gulf dictatorships. I'm rooting for the home team.

I never said I am rooting for the Emirates to harm the US carriers.

I never said I am rooting for the Emirates to harm the US carriers.

I wouldn't worry that they will, frankly. Dubai, Doha, and Abu Dhabi are really only good connection points within Eurasia and Africa, and between the Americas and India. That makes the airlines that connect there bad news for European and SE Asian airlines, but not so much for US carriers. Comments by the management at Delta and the retorts by the ME3 have blown the actual issue well out of proportion.

Really, all that's at stake here is a few (growing and important) markets in one part of the world.

That assumes all flights go to Dubai or elsewhere in the Gulf. But note that Emirates is flying JFK-MXP. My cheapskate brother loves that flight. Great prices.

If the local authorities will allow it (admittedly a big IF .. but some Euro airports are desperate for additional access) then there are other possible destinations that would cause much more disruption to US and Euro carriers. Ask any Italian businessperson how much they like the politically-driven decision by the bankrupt Alitalia to pull most flights into Rome, the political capital, while eliminating long-hauls from Malpensa. You used to be able to fly BOS-MXP and you can bet that if that flight is offered again, it will be taken by some combination of Italy bound tourists (who will rearrange trains and schedules if fares into Malpensa are cheaper than into Fiumicino) and business people who currently are connecting through ZRH, MUC, FRA, etcetera.

I noticed two unsourced bits of information, on both the Logan and SkyGreece Airlines wikipedia pages, that SkyGreece is planning to launch a nonstop Boston-Athens route in 2016. Can anyone who's a little more knowledgeable about the airline industry confirm that this is actually in the works? Or is it a complete rumor?

I'm curious to get all of your educated opinions on this:

FAA a no-show at city hearing on jet noise in the southern part of Boston

http://www.universalhub.com/2015/faa-no-show-city-hearing-jet-noise-southern-part

Disclaimer: I'm in no way agreeing with these people complaining about noise (I live in Chelsea after all). I'm simply asking because I'm interested about the facts and if the flight patterns actually have shifted in the past decade, how, why, etc.

I'm curious to get all of your educated opinions on this:

FAA a no-show at city hearing on jet noise in the southern part of Boston

http://www.universalhub.com/2015/faa-no-show-city-hearing-jet-noise-southern-part

Disclaimer: I'm in no way agreeing with these people complaining about noise (I live in Chelsea after all). I'm simply asking because I'm interested about the facts and if the flight patterns actually have shifted in the past decade, how, why, etc.

I'm not enough of an expert on Logan approach paths to know what the issue may be here (or whether it's really gotten worse over the past few years), I do have to object to the Councillor from Roslindale. The FAA does not route planes over poor neighborhoods. They route them to affect the fewest people in the manner most operationally ideal for the planes.

I'm not enough of an expert on Logan approach paths to know what the issue may be here (or whether it's really gotten worse over the past few years), I do have to object to the Councillor from Roslindale. The FAA does not route planes over poor neighborhoods. They route them to affect the fewest people in the manner most operationally ideal for the planes.

It's sort of a chicken and the egg thing. They aren't deliberately flying over lower land value neighborhoods (poor neighborhoods). Those neighborhoods remain poor and un-gentrified partially because the Logan flight paths suppress land value.

Where is North Quincy in all of this? Planes are flying lower over North Quincy than Milton, Hyde Park and Roslindale.

You can't even hear them coming in over East Milton Square with all of the noise from 93 and other roadways.

Where is North Quincy in all of this? Planes are flying lower over North Quincy than Milton, Hyde Park and Roslindale.

You can't even hear them coming in over East Milton Square with all of the noise from 93 and other roadways.

I think the issue here is takeoff noise, as landing planes are much quieter than those taking off. I live in the South End, where planes taking off are usually below 1,000 feet above my house. I don't really notice it much and chalk it up to living in the city, it's rarely very bothersome. There are more noise issues in the neighborhood with the rooftop HVAC units at BMC and the Fuller Mental Health Center than from airplanes (and, to their credit, BMC and the DMH are usually very good about dealing with those issues once they're reported).

Massport released the March numbers for Logan.

YTD Passengers: 6,754,186 (up 3.8% over 2014)
YTD Domestic Passengers: 5,713,133 (up 2.3% over 2014)
YTD International Passengers: 1,024,017 (up 13.4% over 2014)

March Passengers: 2,704,714 (up 5.8% over March 2014)
March Domestic Passengers: 2,307,210 (up 5.1% over March 2014)
March International Passengers: 390,578 (up 10.2 % over March 2014)

Loads:

Europe Flights - 194 passengers
Middle East - 238 passengers
Asia - 174 passengers
Central America - 103 passengers

Jetblue going 4 daily on Boston-Seattle for the summer.

Two of the fights continue onto Anchorage, Alaska.

Just noticed that Boston-Bridgetown, Barbados was listed as a new route starting November 7, 2015 on it's "where we jet" page.

Looks to be Saturday only and most likely seasonal like many Jetblue Boston-Caribbean routes.

If I recall correctly TNT Vacations tried charter service to Barbados along with Cabo San Lucas in the mid 2000's. Didn't last long and I'm sure it was Friday flights which aren't ideal for the timeshare folks.

Cathay started their 4x weekly Hong Kong flights the other day. Too bad their 77W will never be seen in the light of day at Boston. I've also noticed their ads all over Boston.

Qatar Airways to start Boston March 16 2016 with daily A350 in a two class configuration.

The announcement didn't come out of the CEO's mouth - a press release

http://www.qatarairways.com/us/en/press-release.page?pr_id=pressrelease_usa

The flight can be booked on Qatar's website: schedule is pretty much identical to Emirates 1st flight.

BOS-DOH 23:05-18:10+1
DOH-BOS 08:20-15:05

Cathay started their 4x weekly Hong Kong flights the other day. Too bad their 77W will never be seen in the light of day at Boston. I've also noticed their ads all over Boston.

If there's a delay you may get that chance.

Wow. Boston continues its roll. Between the Tel Aviv flights, Instanbul flights, the soon to be double daily Dubai flights and now this, something has to give.

No plans to fly QR or any of the ME3, but good to see they are sending the A350 with the newer reverse herringbone lie flat J. Granted they won the meaningless Skytrax award but still pretty atrocious for an airline that calls themselves "5-stars" to still operate a majority of their flights with angle flat J seats and offer a very limited and not so special F cabin. Not all that different than BA and their "World's favourite airline" tagline.

Last edited:
Wow. Boston continues its roll. Between the Tel Aviv flights, Instanbul flights, the soon to be double daily Dubai flights and now this, something has to give.
That's my worry. In a feeding frenzy like this, somebody has be the first airline to "go too far" and oversaturate the market. Somebody, at some point, will be last guy to show up at the end of a bubble with a tray of tulips and not know what hit 'em.

Where is all this traffic coming from? How much is stimulation (or release of pent up demand) vs straight up stolen from old school connections via LHR, CDG and FRA?

Is Boston (as an airport and as a business market and as a tourist origin (destination?)) doing what it has to do to keep/support all this growth?

Will the A350's additional efficiency give Qatar a pricing advantage over Emirates? I'm wondering if Emirates would be willing to engage in a pricing war or if they would stand their ground and hope their larger network and twice daily frequencies keep their loads up.

Back