Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Equilibria, thanks so much, your post just about sums it up for that side of E. Great find! So my final question will be, do you think that the security entrance, formally used for Southwest, will be eliminated since most of their gates will now be used by Jet Blue whose passengers pass through the security entrance in Terminal C.

I can't find a layout plan that includes that area, but since the space is being incorporated back into Terminal E, I'd guess that it will.

BTS released September 2014 route segment traffic by airline today

For the new carriers in BOS.

BOS-Dubai = 68.15% (would have been around 85% with 772LR)
BOS-Istanbul = 90.2%!!!!!
BOS-Panama = 59.8% (Not surprised if going less than daily in fall but winter has been good for them.)
BOS-Beijing = 87.2%
BOS-Tokyo = 83.6%

Will do others later on - curious to see if there is a war of attrition in these low season months.

Looking at flights to Europe, Turkish is always the lowest by far. if your looking far out, consistently below $800 across the board. But the flight time and lay over make a long trip. Icelandair seems to be the only other one that is close but still $100+ more. Most continental carriers are over $1000. I wonder if Istanbul is seeing alot of backtrack tourist traffic (more likely to Italy than northern europe) or if it's a lot to Turkey and India.

I wonder if Istanbul is seeing alot of backtrack tourist traffic (more likely to Italy than northern europe) or if it's a lot to Turkey and India.

I bet its in this order

Backtrack tourist traffic Western/Eastern Europe
Middle East (keep in mind Israel)
Turkey
Indian Subcontinent - would be bigger but they only serve Mumbai and Delhi in India
SE Asia
Central Asia

BTS released September 2014 route segment traffic by airline today

For the new carriers in BOS.

BOS-Dubai = 68.15% (would have been around 85% with 772LR)
BOS-Istanbul = 90.2%!!!!!
BOS-Panama = 59.8% (Not surprised if going less than daily in fall but winter has been good for them.)
BOS-Beijing = 87.2%
BOS-Tokyo = 83.6%

Will do others later on - curious to see if there is a war of attrition in these low season months.

Numbers are Load Factors Sept 2014 / Sept. 2013

DL BOS-Amsterdam 91.2/85.5
AF BOS-Paris 74.7/77
DL BOS-Paris 87.1/80
AZ BOS-Rome 92.3/91
EI BOS-Dublin 91.3/85.5
EI BOS-Shannon 89.1/89
LH BOS-Frankfurt 83/88
FI BOS-Reykjavík 78.9/77
VS BOS-London 88.5/93
BA BOS-London 87.6/89.5
DL BOS-London 78.8/80
IB BOS-Madrid 79.9/72
LH BOS-Munich 81.6/84
LX BOS-Zurich 92.4/90

These numbers show that so far its looks like Turkish and Emirates will not be driving anyone out of Logan especially considering the fact that loads are not everything. We are not seeing 10-20 percent decreases in loads.

Its important to note that Lufthansa bumped capacity in 2014.

I'll do the same comparison for October with pax numbers as well. I'm guessing Emirates number will look even worse.

Numbers are Load Factors Sept 2014 / Sept. 2013

DL BOS-Amsterdam 91.2/85.5
AF BOS-Paris 74.7/77
DL BOS-Paris 87.1/80
AZ BOS-Rome 92.3/91
EI BOS-Dublin 91.3/85.5
EI BOS-Shannon 89.1/89
LH BOS-Frankfurt 83/88
FI BOS-Reykjavík 78.9/77
VS BOS-London 88.5/93
BA BOS-London 87.6/89.5
DL BOS-London 78.8/80
IB BOS-Madrid 79.9/72
LH BOS-Munich 81.6/84
LX BOS-Zurich 92.4/90

These numbers show that so far its looks like Turkish and Emirates will not be driving anyone out of Logan especially considering the fact that loads are not everything. We are not seeing 10-20 percent decreases in loads.

Its important to note that Lufthansa bumped capacity in 2014.

I'll do the same comparison for October with pax numbers as well. I'm guessing Emirates number will look even worse.

Great data, thanks for sharing. I've always wondered how each individual carrier does load wise to/from Boston.

Looking at flights to Europe, Turkish is always the lowest by far. if your looking far out, consistently below $800 across the board. But the flight time and lay over make a long trip. Icelandair seems to be the only other one that is close but still $100+ more. Most continental carriers are over $1000. I wonder if Istanbul is seeing alot of backtrack tourist traffic (more likely to Italy than northern europe) or if it's a lot to Turkey and India.

I've noticed this. In January of '14, I booked a trip to IST originating from JFK. The cheapest ticket was Swiss via GVA. This January, I booked a trip to the French and Swiss Alps with my point of origin being Geneva. The cheapest ticket by far was Turkish from BOS to GVA via IST. Due to the long layovers, we ended up tacking on 2 nights (one on each end) in Istanbul (it's $20 in the airport for a 90 day visa) because hotel rooms are cheap and Istanbul is a great city with a good exchange rate.

I can't imagine RyanAir going to BOS, considering how they like to pick the cheapest possible airport.

Also, I can't imagine being on a RyanAir flight for 7+ hours. That would be a new circle of hell.

Are you allowed to charge for water/food on a flight that long?

I can't imagine RyanAir going to BOS, considering how they like to pick the cheapest possible airport.

Also, I can't imagine being on a RyanAir flight for 7+ hours. That would be a new circle of hell.

Are you allowed to charge for water/food on a flight that long?

I've never understood people's strong aversion to RyanAir. From my experience it is no less comfortable than any of the legacy carriers within the US.

If you want food and drink you can pay for it.

^ start date is 4-5 years from now because that's when the new long range aircraft will be ready.

Boston for Ryanair.

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2015/03/17/ryanair-boston-flights-approved-between-europe/

I see problems with Ryanair's current fleet with MTOW and flight distance for some of these proposed city pairs..

Edit: The Guardian explains further. Ryanair buying new planes.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2...s-to-offer-flights-between-europe-and-america

I was about to say before I saw your edit that Ryanair would be buying new planes to fly to North America.

I personally think that they could make at least Dublin work from Boston because that market seems like it could support a second carrier. I could also see London working because I would imagine that there's probably a good amount of people who would like to fly to the UK for cheap.

The big thing here though is the potential flight to Berlin, since that would be an entirely new city served from Boston.

The big thing here though is the potential flight to Berlin, since that would be an entirely new city served from Boston.
I'd think that Air Berlin should be figuring a way to pre-emptively start service to Boston with the help of its Oneworld partner, AA, even if it had to make stops in DUS (their other hub) or DUB or SNN along the way.

I'd think that Air Berlin should be figuring a way to pre-emptively start service to Boston with the help of its Oneworld partner, AA, even if it had to make stops in DUS (their other hub) or DUB or SNN along the way.

Absolutely agreed. I love AirBerlin and used it to fly all over Europe when I was living there. I was bummed to learn they didn't serve Boston, only JFK.

I don't believe Air Berlin is in expansion mode unfortunately. They only have 1 widebody on order and recently cut Miami-Berlin.

Berlin is very new to Ryanair as well. I wouldn't be surprised if its in Phase II of whatever they do for transatlantic travel.

I think London-Stansted and Dublin will happen to the area and its 48% chance to Boston, 48% chance to Providence and 2% chance of Manchester NH.

Imagine a Manchester, NH to Manchester, UK route. That would be a fun marketing campaign.

Back