Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

By comparison Gatwick airport in London has over 40 million passengers a year using only one runway.

Yes, but it's worth noting that's more because Gatwick sees higher capacity aircraft on average rather than somehow having better flight operations.

Gatwick has ~268k aircraft movements, Logan has 372k, close to 40% more aircraft movements.

I always wonder why our passenger numbers include Australia, which to my knowledge there is no standard airliner with that kind of range in existence, yet sub Saharan Africa is not listed.

I always wonder why our passenger numbers include Australia, which to my knowledge there is no standard airliner with that kind of range in existence, yet sub Saharan Africa is not listed.

Well the numbers for Australia, North Africa and Other International are all zeros, so I assume these are just someone's fantasy.

Other question though, how can you have 160 more flights arriving than departing YTD. Where are we hiding those 160 aircraft? Do airlines really empty leg 160 planes to another location a year?

Well the numbers for Australia, North Africa and Other International are all zeros, so I assume these are just someone's fantasy.

Other question though, how can you have 160 more flights arriving than departing YTD. Where are we hiding those 160 aircraft? Do airlines really empty leg 160 planes to another location a year?

Probably, because planes are rotated out-of-service for regular deep inspections all the time, and most of the airlines' heavy-repair facilities where those are done are at major-major hub airports. The planes that aren't in short-haul service on a regular hub route would need some deadheads. I doubt Delta's all that often going to substitute a four-fifths empty transatlantic jumbo jet on a shuttle run normally equipped with 757's when it has to rotate further-flung equipment to its national maint HQ at Hartsfield-Atlanta. It would be cheaper in some cases to just fly it with pilot/co-pilot and passenger cabin totally shuttered and dark rather than have it fully-staffed with all systems turned on for so few riders. It's not like they can isolate a whole cabin as if it were like a closed coach on a near-empty passenger train. Add up those specific path-of-least-resistance deadhead moves over the course of a year and you'll easily come up with that discrepancy. It's a very small discrepancy in the grand scheme so this isn't all that regular an occurrence, but maint cycles would explain it.

One the airliners OAG Schedule update - Delta returns to serving Boston-Tampa on 2/20/2017 with double daily Airbus A319 service (126-132 seats)

Boston Departures
7:15-10:40
13:00-17:25

Tampa Departures
11:15-14:15
17:00-20:00

It's about time Tampa gets another carrier. Almost every Florida city has 2 carriers on it and now Tampa can join the list.

Delta really does have a pretty solid network from Boston. Apart from Raleigh/Durham, it has to be their largest non-hub station as far as destination served.

It's about time Tampa gets another carrier. Almost every Florida city has 2 carriers on it and now Tampa can join the list.

Delta really does have a pretty solid network from Boston. Apart from Raleigh/Durham, it has to be their largest non-hub station as far as destination served.

This isn't new service. DL (Song and Delta Express) served this route consistently until March 2010. It has since had sporadic weekend and seasonal service. Personally I would have rather year round PBI service.

IMO Chicago is about the only thing missing but between ORD/MDW there are already 4-5 carriers and they have never been a major carrier in that market.

This isn't new service. DL (Song and Delta Express) served this route consistently until March 2010. It has since had sporadic weekend and seasonal service. Personally I would have rather year round PBI service.

IMO Chicago is about the only thing missing but between ORD/MDW there are already 4-5 carriers and they have never been a major carrier in that market.

Oh I know Delta has served it in the past. I have just been surprised there's been a gap between a second carrier on the route. Most other Florida cities have at least 2 carriers, even if the second carrier runs it on a seasonal basis. Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, West Palm Beach and Ft. Myers come to mind.

Oh I know Delta has served it in the past. I have just been surprised there's been a gap between a second carrier on the route. Most other Florida cities have at least 2 carriers, even if the second carrier runs it on a seasonal basis. Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando, West Palm Beach and Ft. Myers come to mind.

Which airline besides for JetBlue flies nonstop between BOS and RSW? Southwest did at one time but I don't think they do anymore.

Spirit only flies to RSW seasonally though. Southwest also flies seasonally from RSW to PVD. However Tampa is a larger market then Fort Myers so it deserves more service.

Tampa might be a larger market but Fort Myers offers a much more affluent demographic as the primary airport for Naples and Marco Island.

Tampa might be a larger market but Fort Myers offers a much more affluent demographic as the primary airport for Naples and Marco Island.

and, while only relevant for a month or two out of the year, the spring training home of the Sox. I have been on the JetBlue non-stop to RSW from Logan in March several times and there are always a ton of people on the plane heading down to spring training.

Exactly

Average one-way fare to Ft. Myers is typically 15-30 dollars higher.

The Ft. Myers market is fluctuates wildly during the year. O+D wise, Its actually bigger than Tampa in Q1 in recent years but can drop 70% or so in summer (Q3). Tampa is a bit more consistent - only drops off 15-20% in peak season.

How is a $69 Transatlantic flight profitable?

I doubt 69 dollars will just be the average fare. That's just a promotional fare, basically a loss leader to promote the route.

Last edited:
TBH it depends. There are a few things that have to happen for it to happen. First the cost of fuel. Second is takeoff/landing fees at us airport (this is why they are targeting bradley). Third is taxes and other fees. This could be the real killer of $69 transatlantic flights.

Also Norewigan isnt fully expecting to earn $69 per customer. Some of the LCCs actually take on a loss per seat that they sell. But the total revenue per customer easily makes up for it. I bet that norewigan is forecasting average revenue for the flight to be more like $100 rather than $69.

Lastly, the 737 max will be a total gamechanger for these types of flights. 737 economics for a transatlantic flight? yes please.

Lastly, the 737 max will be a total gamechanger for these types of flights. 737 economics for a transatlantic flight? yes please.
Close your eyes and pretend you're on a 707, and just happen not to be using the rubber-tube audio or the first class lounge ;-)

Sorry if I've missed it, who is/will be flying 737s? (and which exact models? any MAX? just some?)

Back