Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I'm sure that more destinations like Manchester, Oslo, Copenhagen, etc. will be reachable by the A321LR. SAS already flies a 737-700 from Boston to Copenhagen so the next 737 could easily be used on more transatlantic routes.

Does anyone know if the next A321LR could make it to Germany or Spain? New flights to Berlin and Barcelona using narrow body aircraft would make sense. A narrow body to Stockholm could also be feasible.

I'm sure that more destinations like Manchester, Oslo, Copenhagen, etc. will be reachable by the A321LR. SAS already flies a 737-700 from Boston to Copenhagen so the next 737 could easily be used on more transatlantic routes.

Does anyone know if the next A321LR could make it to Germany or Spain? New flights to Berlin and Barcelona using narrow body aircraft would make sense. A narrow body to Stockholm could also be feasible.

I believe they should as United runs a 752 on Newark - Amsterdam ans that's roughly the same distance as BOS-BCN. I don't know the numbers, but am going to assume the range of the 321LR will be very similar to that of a 752.

TBH it depends. There are a few things that have to happen for it to happen. First the cost of fuel. Second is takeoff/landing fees at us airport (this is why they are targeting bradley). Third is taxes and other fees. This could be the real killer of $69 transatlantic flights.

Also Norewigan isnt fully expecting to earn $69 per customer. Some of the LCCs actually take on a loss per seat that they sell. But the total revenue per customer easily makes up for it. I bet that norewigan is forecasting average revenue for the flight to be more like $100 rather than $69.

Lastly, the 737 max will be a total gamechanger for these types of flights. 737 economics for a transatlantic flight? yes please.

Good points. Some airport will waive takeoff and landing fees to attract a new carrier. Not having to pay those fees coupled with cheap fuel means an airline could run these flights for very low fares and not kill themselves doing it.

Close your eyes and pretend you're on a 707, and just happen not to be using the rubber-tube audio or the first class lounge ;-)

Sorry if I've missed it, who is/will be flying 737s? (and which exact models? any MAX? just some?)

totally cannot say due to the strictest NDA you can ever imagine (former boeing experience). '

Let me say this, the range of the 737 max is substantially longer than the 737. With the range extensions, flights from the northeast us can reach the extreme west of europe safely on one tank of fuel. More importantly, they can also come back against the wind on one tankk of fuel. If you look at the announcements of the sales, you'll see some airlines hinting at this. If i have time i may look for a press release or two from airlines.

I'll point out that we're currently expanding e to accommodate a380s just as an inundation of international 737 promises to descend on the terminal

I'll point out that we're currently expanding e to accommodate a380s just as an inundation of international 737 promises to descend on the terminal

Hope for immigration and customs pre-clearance, so that they can use the other terminals!

Hope for immigration and customs pre-clearance, so that they can use the other terminals!

Hope for faster boarding processes and other ways increase the number of flights per day on a per gate basis. Also in a dreamworld, we should hope that if the airlines want to expand boston service this much, they will help finance the bigger terminal E expansion. I'm not holding my breath on either of these

Norwegian is a low cost carrier. I doubt that they would pay for an expanded terminal, they'd probably be fine with bussing passengers out to plane stands. A Norwegian flight in Italy that I took used this method.

Also would it be possible for terminal A or another existing terminal to be given Immigrations and Customs or would that require construction?

I'm just hoping Norwegian becomes a known entity to US banks. I've had holds put on two credit cards and one debit because Norwegian is considered a suspicious charge. The fares are great, the service is pretty good, but hours on the phone trying to convince the bank it's legit gets old. Flying LGW-BOS on Norwegian on Monday for the first time btw. Only done BOS - PTP on the 737 to date. Looking forward to the 787.

I'm just hoping Norwegian becomes a known entity to US banks. I've had holds put on two credit cards and one debit because Norwegian is considered a suspicious charge. The fares are great, the service is pretty good, but hours on the phone trying to convince the bank it's legit gets old. Flying LGW-BOS on Norwegian on Monday for the first time btw. Only done BOS - PTP on the 737 to date. Looking forward to the 787.

Herald Reports -- Logan too expensive for the cheap narrow body flights

Norwegian Air grounds Logan for Ireland flights
Donna Goodison Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Norwegian Air Shuttle’s Irish-based subsidiary, which finally won U.S. regulatory approval for low-cost flights between the U.S. and Europe on Friday, no longer is eyeing Boston’s Logan International Airport for its new direct service to Cork, Shannon and Dublin, Ireland.

Norwegian will choose between New Hampshire’s Portsmouth International Airport and T.F. Green Airport in Warwick, R.I., for Norwegian Air International’s nonstop flights aboard Boeing 737s, citing costs as the reason.
http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...rwegian_air_grounds_logan_for_ireland_flights

Space issue solved!

....Portsmouth? WTF? Not Manchester?

Portsmouth makes sense for people in the Boston area, the parking is cheap and most people outside of the city center own cars. However it makes little sense for international tourists visiting Boston.

I wonder if any of this has to do with the capacity issues at terminal E.

Manchester isn't international, portsmouth is. Crossing my fingers...

Also we see tons of International tourists here. Especially Chinese and British lately.

TF Green makes far more sense and is building up its int'l market. As an example, NAX uses OAK instead of SFO. You can use BART to get to/from OAK to/from downtown SF. They use Gatwick instead of Heathrow too, which are linked by train. Similarly, you could use Commuter Rail to get to/from PVD to/from downtown Boston. Seems like TF Green fits their destination model the best.

Manchester isn't international, portsmouth is. Crossing my fingers...

Also we see tons of International tourists here. Especially Chinese and British lately.

Doesnt have to be if they get preclearance which is available in Ireland

If BOS really wont work for some time, i could see them doing both RI and NH. Likely not right away, but the Boston Metro is definitely big enough to split for $300-400 round trip to Ireland/Europe.

Back