Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Lufthansa received its first A350 today, which they will be using to fly from Munich to Delhi & Boston.

Lufthansa livestreamed it (of course, as they do everything). Their social media game is amazing. Seriously, follow them.

Livestream 1 - Apron/taxi arrival at Munich from Toulouse: https://www.facebook.com/lufthansa/videos/10154819302964004/
Livestream 2 - On ground look, engines, landing gear, etc: https://www.facebook.com/lufthansa/videos/10154819404484004/

Here's a photo of the bird from a few days ago:
15626286_10154812375259004_3142157385062859055_o.jpg

WAIT YOUR TURN

15541544_10154750413017200_2214510991790293330_n.jpg

Credit: Aviation Reddit page

Another intresting tidbit, Norwegian Airlines is set to open Argentinian bases in 2017. I hope that this facilitates an introduction of south american (to Argentina and possibly others) flights from Logan.

Last edited:
WAIT YOUR TURN

Another intresting tidbit, Norwegian Airlines is set to open Argentinian bases in 2017. I hope that this facilitates an introduction of south american (to Argentina and possibly others) flights from Logan.

Cool picture... about Norwegian in Argentina... looks like domestic (ie. Buenos Aires to Cordoba) and Europe-Argentina only.

Also - JetBlue will make Bermuda year round in 2017.

Spirit has added seasonal Boston-Tampa service making it a three-way dance for a few weeks. http://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ds-seasonal-boston-tampa-route-from-feb-2017/

Looks like IAG is upping their operations to counter the rise of Norwegian. Over on Airliners.net they're mentioning IAG is evaluating longhaul service from Barcelona and they're looking at SFO, LAX, EZE, SCL, HAV and NRT.

Boston is going to miss out on some service to Barcelona.

I really don't get why we don't have Barcelona yet. I would think it would be a decent mix of leisure and business travellers.

Madrid-Boston has been at best a marginal success with twice the traffic and a more favorable business/leisure mix. If Delta is serious about a substantive Boston presence, it might be a good seasonal 757 flight once they have some more domestic feed to rely on.

Madrid-Boston has been at best a marginal success with twice the traffic and a more favorable business/leisure mix. If Delta is serious about a substantive Boston presence, it might be a good seasonal 757 flight once they have some more domestic feed to rely on.

We should be lucky Madrid wasn't dropped during Spain's financial issues. There would have to be some good business traffic from Santander due to having NA HQ in Boston. I wonder if people getting to the Spain headquarters connect in Madrid Airport or just take a train to Santander. Things have to be getting better now that we have Air Europa adding some extra seasonal lift.

Barcelona would easily be a majority of leisure especially from USA-originating traffic (Cruises, Gaudi, etc). I think Norwegian is the best carrier to run this route seasonally even though SATA is doing a "direct" service via Ponta Delgada Azores.

Summer Fares to Europe are the lowest I've seen in awhile too. Its a lot softer than last year. There are August non-stop roundtrips for under $600.

Logan surpassed 36 million passengers for the year according to their Facebook page. For comparison last year the airport had just over 33 million passengers.

Logan surpassed 36 million passengers for the year according to their Facebook page. For comparison last year the airport had just over 33 million passengers.

TYSmith -- that would break the all time record for Logan passengers

However to put it into context -- Air Travel in Boston still falls far short of the record for Passenger Rail Travel in Boston set back in the Halcyon days of South Station [and North Station for that matter]

from the website devoted to the history of South Station [with my highlights in bold]
http://www.south-station.net/station-history/

While it was already the largest, South Station quickly became the busiest train station in the world, handling about 38 million passengers in 1913, ranking higher than its second nearest competitor, Boston’s North Station, which handled 29 million and New York’s Grand Central Station, which handled 22 million that same year.

So to match rail in 1913*1 -- Logan*2 would have to handle some 67 Million passengers

Notes:
*1 -- to be complete you would need to dig out the numbers for Back Bay Station
*2 -- to be thorough for comparison of all 'Big Boston" air you need to include Providence, Worcester, Manchester and Portland Maine as all of those lie within the Consolidated Statistical Area

I can't believe I'm even wasting my time conversing with you but in 1913, trains and ships were the only options one had for traveling any sort of distance so how is this even remotely germane to Logan hitting 36m passengers?

Credit goes to AlexinWA on airliners.net: http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1351193

Here is Delta's 2017 summer calendar for logan. 2017 is looking like a new record year for logan! I'm also excited that Delta wants to increase this by another 25 departures per day by 2018.

AMS - 2x 330
ATL - 12x 321
BDA - 1x 738
CDG - 1x 763
CVG - 2x CR9, 1x 717, 1x 738
DTW - 2x 320, 1x M88, 3x 319, 2x 738
DUB - 1x 752
LHR - 1x 763
LAX - 3x 738
MSP - 2x 738, 3x 739, 1x 320
JFK - 3x 319, 4x CR9, 2x 717
LGA - 7x 717, 10x 175
MCO - 1x 738, 2x 319
SLC - 3x 738
SFO - 2x 752
SEA - 2x 738
TPA - 2x 319
CMH - 3x 170
IND - 3x 170
MKE - 2x 170
BNA - 1x CR9
RDU - 6x CR9
RIC - 3x 170

Total: 95 departures. (70 out of 95 flights are on mainline equipment or roughly 74%)

Also, there are a few destinations that operate only on Sat. and/or Sun:

MBJ - 1x 319
PUJ - 1x 319
STT - 1x 757
RSW - 1x 319
CUN - 1x 320
MYR - 1x 175

12 321 departures per day to Atlanta... wow. They've responded big time to Jetblue adding their 5 or 6 daily flights.

Credit goes to AlexinWA on airliners.net: http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1351193

Here is Delta's 2017 summer calendar for logan. 2017 is looking like a new record year for logan! I'm also excited that Delta wants to increase this by another 25 departures per day by 2018.

12 321 departures per day to Atlanta... wow. They've responded big time to Jetblue adding their 5 or 6 daily flights.

Delta's really building up in 2017. There were a few days in the past month where my friend that works there says they've had an unprecedented amount of Atlanta flights, never seen before in his career at the airport, and they're overbooking more often, even with the recent increase in flights.

He also said they're looking to expand in Boston throughout 2017, which is evident with their calendar. 25 more departures per day in one year is quite an increase.

I think that Delta is trying to take advantage of a few things:

1. booming economy in boston (duh)

2. counter B6. Personally, I'm a believer that Jetblue is going to continue to expand dramatically and become a major nationwide US airline. Now that Jetblue is having some overlap with delta's most important destinations (ATL, LAX, SEA, ect), delta feels the need to respond like they always do. IMO, delta is the biggest asshole US airline and they have a history of bullying competition when they feel threatened

3. add international flights to europe and feed them with their domestic hub.

4. capture the opportunity to have the newest terminal, A, be almost exclusively for themselves now that southwest is going to AA's gates in B (ignoring westjet)

overall, this feels similar to DL vs Alaska in Seattle. DL wanted to feed their international flights while providing AS some competition. The real winner in the short term in seattle? passengers. I want a capacity war between B6 and DL here. B6 has already said they are going up to 200 departures per day up from about 140ish today.

4. capture the opportunity to have the newest terminal, A, be almost exclusively for themselves now that southwest is going to AA's gates in B (ignoring westjet).

I forgot to mention that... Delta's attempting to take over all of terminal A, so they might be increasing flights to push out Southwest, which was supposed to remain in Terminal A for only 2 years.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention Delta's supposedly attempting to take over all of terminal A, so they might be increasing flights to push out Southwest, which was supposed to remain in Terminal A for only 2 years.

From my understanding, it isn't as hostile as you put it. Because of the US Air/ AA merger, AA has way too many gates in terminal B (18 disconnected gates to be exact). With the terminal B project breaking ground in March, 2017, AA will be going down to 12 gates. Southwest will take over B30-B35. These are going to be all zoned for the 737-8 MAX. According to a post on airliners.com, southwest plans on splitting B33 into 2 gates, 33a and 33b. This will create a net gain of 2 gates for southwest (so about 16-20 more daily departures based on their typical gate usage). Really everyone wins by doing this, except for spirit because they will only has 1 gate, b36 after this. I do not see this as delta bullying as much as southwest wants 2 more gates and a shorter walk for passengers.

Ever noticed how temporary WN's area looks? I think this has been in the works for a bit.

I wonder how much this will reduce the number of AA flights per day. I am unable to find their numbers of daily departures. If they are averaging about 5 or 6 per gate (about 100 per day), then they will not be forced to shrink their current capacity. Super interesting time at logan

apologies for bringing capital projects into flight additions, they are very related.

From my understanding, it isn't as hostile as you put it. Because of the US Air/ AA merger, AA has way too many gates in terminal B (18 disconnected gates to be exact). With the terminal B project breaking ground in March, 2017, AA will be going down to 12 gates. Southwest will take over B30-B35. These are going to be all zoned for the 737-8 MAX. According to a post on airliners.com, southwest plans on splitting B33 into 2 gates, 33a and 33b. This will create a net gain of 2 gates for southwest (so about 16-20 more daily departures based on their typical gate usage). Really everyone wins by doing this, except for spirit because they will only has 1 gate, b36 after this. I do not see this as delta bullying as much as southwest wants 2 more gates and a shorter walk for passengers.

Ever noticed how temporary WN's area looks? I think this has been in the works for a bit.

I wonder how much this will reduce the number of AA flights per day. I am unable to find their numbers of daily departures. If they are averaging about 5 or 6 per gate (about 100 per day), then they will not be forced to shrink their current capacity. Super interesting time at logan

apologies for bringing capital projects into flight additions, they are very related.

Are you referring the project on the US/AA side of B to consolidate the security area, bring in B1-3 with the rest of the temrinal and expand the terminal on that side?

Are you referring the project on the US/AA side of B to consolidate the security area, bring in B1-3 with the rest of the temrinal and expand the terminal on that side?

Yes

I want to say that I was wrong that AA was going down to 12, they are going down to 18. My bad!

Sources: https://www.massport.com/capitalpro...-C1/L1375-C1 CM at Risk Supplemental Info.pdf

Helpful press release: https://www.massport.com/news-room/...plans-to-consolidate-american-airlines-gates/

Current AA gates: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/destinationInformation/bos-airport.jsp (4-19, 30-36)

From my understanding, it isn't as hostile as you put it.

I'm certain it's not that hostile... I was just trying to word it as close to my friend's wording as possible (this was a couple weeks ago when we talked, so I'm probably a little off on exactly what he said, but he certainly mentioned Southwest has been there longer than expected (2 years) when he was explaining everything, and that Delta wants the entire terminal).

With what you explained about AA, everything make more sense, and, as you put it, it's a win-win for everybody.

all good - it is nice to hear this echoed by an insider!

Back to the delta summer schedule, this is a huge increase compared to this past summer. It will be very interesting to watch how full the flights are, the boston margins, and if they swap out any equipment. Same with Jetblue.

Back