Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Jetblues T5 is real nice, I've been once. Terminal c/e at Logan has good amenities. Logan has some of the best airport restaurants I've been across. Plus if you have a long layover it's the easiest trip into the city from any major airport, as you say

What about JFK? I feel like that airport has more amenities than BOS has if I had to sit around for a substantial layover. Although BOS is close enough to the city where if you had a 3+ hour layover you could take the train into town for a few drinks with time to spare.

I really hate JFK as an international transfer point. Maybe it is better now but Delta's Lounge was filthy and crowded in general. Any kind of cross wind or weather and the whole airport becomes a real mess very quickly. I would prefer an international transfer in Boston any day especially if there were security side walkways, and I believe those are in the works.

I believe there is already a C-E connection. So if you are coming in on JetBlue or Southwest/AirTran you can get to E no problem. But I think Delta and American have some International departures from A and B, respectively.

I really hate JFK as an international transfer point. Maybe it is better now but Delta's Lounge was filthy and crowded in general. Any kind of cross wind or weather and the whole airport becomes a real mess very quickly. I would prefer an international transfer in Boston any day especially if there were security side walkways, and I believe those are in the works.

Delta's terminal now at JFK is beautiful (opened a couple months ago, I think)--the lounges are very nice (yeah, the old ones were scuzzy).

I believe there is already a C-E connection. So if you are coming in on JetBlue or Southwest/AirTran you can get to E no problem. But I think Delta and American have some International departures from A and B, respectively.

Choo -- Massport plans for a glass connection behind security between Gate 1 in E with C [Plan A]

You are right that there could be an existing connection using some non public spaces inside E through old D [now C] but they are narrow and not in the right place -- so there is no plan to implement the Jet Blue link unless the cost of Plan A escalates too much or Jet Blue demands immediate action

Here's a request for Qualification form associated with the project:

PROJECT DESCRIPTION AND SCOPE OF SERVICES
This project includes a post security passenger connection between Terminals E and C, and the two piers of Terminal B. The Terminal B component includes 25 ticket counter positions, a relocated and modified passenger checkpoint with additional passenger queuing, eight reconfigured departure lounges, a secure passenger connection to Pier B, concessions shell space, toilet rooms, a ground operations cab, in-line baggage screening systems and outbound bag makeup devices, enhanced inbound baggage systems and claim devices, vertical circulation, airside improvements including reconfigured apron and aircraft fueling systems and all necessary airline and tenant support spaces. The Terminal E to C secure connector component will include interior renovations to provide a secure passenger circulation corridor near the existing outbound bag room C3. It will connect Terminal E Gates 1A-1E to Gates 11 and higher at Terminal C, Pier B. An airside glass wall will provide natural light and orient passengers moving between the Terminals as well as improve passenger convenience.
The construction budget is currently estimated at approximately Seventy-One Million Dollars ($71,000,000) with an estimated construction duration of approximately EIGHTEEN (18) months

Last edited:
Anyone know when the new post-security connectors between the two sides of B, and between C and E are supposed to open?

Anyone know when the new post-security connectors between the two sides of B, and between C and E are supposed to open?

From what I saw the other day after I landed at Logan and was taxiing to the gate, they have made some great progress and I would assume they're more than half way done.

I flew in from Dallas on Monday and and arrived at B. It looked like the new connection between the two Bs was almost done. It looks like something from 1965.

I flew in from Dallas on Monday and and arrived at B. It looked like the new connection between the two Bs was almost done. It looks like something from 1965.

Yeah, it's pretty ugly. I'm not sure how Massport looked at other great new terminals and thought: "You know what? They're all stupid. This world needs more dull patterned panels."

Just some nice glass, raise the ceiling and let the light in. That's all I want in the terminal design.

Yeah, it's pretty ugly. I'm not sure how Massport looked at other great new terminals and thought: "You know what? They're all stupid. This world needs more dull patterned panels."

Equalib --- Not sure you are seeing the final work -- some of that is temporary to get the fundctionality in place ASAP while more work goes on in the background

If you read the RFP on the B-B Connector it includes moving gates and hold rooms and if I remember even restrooms are being re-done -- this is a lot of millions of $ to be spent on this project

Proposed FY13-17 Capital Program
As of FY12 FY13
ADJ-FY13
L1129 -- RENOVATION & IMPROVEMENTS AT TERMINAL B

(000's Omitted)
Sorted by Facility, Status, Program

MPANO PROJECT FUND As of FY12

L1129
RENOVATION & IMPROVEMENTS AT TERMINAL B MTPL $2,115

FY13 FY14 FY15 FY16 FY17 FY13-17 FY18+ Total Cost

$4,710 $56,669 $46,336 $14,170 $0 $121,885 $0 $124,000

So it looks as if about 2% of that project was complete as of last December and about 6% is going to be completed by this December

Next 2 years are when the majority of the work will be done with finish in 2016

So Stand by

I'm guessing B-B will be done in 2016

C to E may happen in two pieces -- do a temporary connect then finish the real connector

from the Logan Capital Doc

NEW-FY13

Proposed FY13-17 Capital Program As of FY12 FY13
ADJ-FY13

L1255
TERMINALS C & E AND GATE 40 CONNECTORS
(000's Omitted)

MPANO PROJECT FUND As of FY12

L1255
TERMINALS C & E AND GATE 40 CONNECTORS MTPL $0 [THROUGH FY-12]

$2,004 $5,004 $37,992 $0 $0 $45,000 $0 $45,000

So it looks as if the majority of the work is going to be during 2015 with completion by some time in 2016

By the way the same Massport 5yr Capital Budget document reveals an as yet unfunded estimate for the Term E West Concourse where potentially the AB 380's could dock

Proposed FY13-17 Capital Program - Unfunded

(000's Omitted)

Logan Landside
L0338
TERMINAL E WEST CONCOURSE CFS

[THROUGH FY-12]

$0 $0 $17,293 $20,129 $20,129 $57,551 $92,449 $150,000

AND for Completeness a B-C Connector -- Completion of the process of integrating all of the terminals [Note originally planned to be completed before 9/11/01 changed everything]

Proposed FY13-17 Capital Program - Unfunded

(000's Omitted)

Logan Landside
L1002
B TO C CONNECTOR CORRIDOR I&E $0

[THROUGH FY-12]

$0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $14,000 $14,000

Last edited:
A BIT MORE TO CLOSE THE LOOP

From a herald story in the early Spring 2013
Massport to pay $54M more for Logan’s Terminal B renovations
Thursday, March 21, 2013
By:
Herald Staff
The Massachusetts Port Authority agreed today to pay $54 million to fully fund renovations and security improvements of Terminal B at Logan International Airport.

The funding comes after Massport agreed to $70 million in partial funding last September for the renovation project. When completed, Terminal B will be renovated to include: 24 new ticket counters, eight new departure lounges, new concession space and a new baggage claim carousel

- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/business/bu...s_terminal_b_renovations#sthash.pL4hPbGj.dpuf

As I read the Logan document, it represents cashflow, which I believe are payments.

The project # is L1129; deciphering, the L stands for Logan, the 11 is the year project was approved, and 29 is the sequential project number for that year. Looking at cashflow for the Rental Car facility, it seems the payments (cash flow) reflect money for work completed and accepted.

So I tend to think the cashflow schedule lags actual construction by 9-12 months, and based on that premise, parts of the B-B connector will open in 2014, and much of the remaining work, e.g., new counters, departure lounges, retail, will be completed in 2015.

As I read the Logan document, it represents cashflow, which I believe are payments.

The project # is L1129; deciphering, the L stands for Logan, the 11 is the year project was approved, and 29 is the sequential project number for that year. Looking at cashflow for the Rental Car facility, it seems the payments (cash flow) reflect money for work completed and accepted.

So I tend to think the cashflow schedule lags actual construction by 9-12 months, and based on that premise, parts of the B-B connector will open in 2014, and much of the remaining work, e.g., new counters, departure lounges, retail, will be completed in 2015.

Stel -- you could be right

I talked recently with a Senior {C-level] Massport official [discussion was focused on other topics but drifted to the connectors] who is also a good friend -- he said that the priorities are the connections -- all the spiffies and expanded hold rooms, etc. are less so

Priorities driven by the Air Line changes [in order]:

1) Term B-B connector:
a) the newly merged into new United [United name with Continental Tail] moves to Term B to allow Jet Blue to completely occupy Term C
b) accommodate the soon to be merged new American [American name with US Air tail and boss]
c) connect the floating gates used by Virgin to the rest of Term B
d) consolidate checkpoints as part of the new baggage security system

2) Term C-E connector
a) allow Jet Blue to connect with its International Partners
b) connect the floating Term C gates formerly used by United to consolidate the security checkpoint and accommodate the new baggage security

3) consolidation of checkpoints and baggage handling + more useful spaces in both B and C including more passenger hold space and restrooms

4) Term B-C Connector

5) Term E West Concourse to accommodate new International Carriers and potentially AB380

Massport will juggle money around to do the above ASAP with the essentials first and niceties later

Hong Kong would indeed be nice. I believe it's the smallest market out of the three major Chinese markets but I would expect it to have by far the most premium demand. Plus, Cathay Pacific is just about the greatest airline ever(at least of those who do or could serve Boston).

Last edited:
Hong Kong woukd indeed be nice. I believe it's the smallest market out of the three major Chinese markets but I would expect it to have by far the most premium demand. Plus, Cathay Pacific is just about the greatest airline ever(at least of those who do or could serve Boston).

Cathay Pacific doesn't have the aircraft in its fleet to serve Boston non-stop.

I think Beijing would carry the most demand.

Back