Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

I feel like terminal E can get clogged at peak times in the evening flights to Europe. I know getting customs in A is a high hurdle, but do you think given the excess capacity we could eventually see it used by a foreign airline for some departures?

Thanks to pre-clearance, Aer Lingus is expected to move to Terminal C sometime soon(naturally right after they finished doing over their lounge in E). That's two to three always packed flights right there. The problem with moving other carriers into Terminal A is that the gate layout isn't optimized for larger jets. With Air France and Alitalia operating there, they'd have to close off adjacent gates to accomodate them.

I don't think any carrier is specifically entitled to them. They could even wind up vacant. The new American (America West dba American Airlines) will have about 22 gates after the divestiture which is probably more than they need, unless the plan is to increase service. With the divestiture of slots at Reagan and Laguardia I could see the Shuttle being axed.
Rather, they're eliminating AA as a shuttle-competitor in the DCA-BOS and BOS-NYC market and consolidating. On the formal Shuttle, I'd expect to see half-hour service at more hours of the day, and more hourly service on weekends once AA's RJs are out of the market.

I feel like terminal E can get clogged at peak times in the evening flights to Europe. I know getting customs in A is a high hurdle, but do you think given the excess capacity we could eventually see it used by a foreign airline for some departures?

Could an Air France 747 even fit in Terminal A. I've heard DL's A332's hold up two gates spaces.

An Alitalia 767 definitely can could though.

Rather, they're eliminating AA as a shuttle-competitor in the DCA-BOS and BOS-NYC market and consolidating. On the formal Shuttle, I'd expect to see half-hour service at more hours of the day, and more hourly service on weekends once AA's RJs are out of the market.

American Eagle has been off those routes and out of Boston entirely for a while, I want to say two years.

American Eagle has been off those routes and out of Boston entirely for a while, I want to say two years.
Golly, sorry. Still, I'm thinking that for the same reasons that AA tried those RJs at all, One World will want a fully-robust shuttle on the whole DCA-NYC-BOS triangle: DCA being a hublet, NYC too important to concede, and Boston a favorite destination from both. If they don't have feed from DCA into BA's BOS-LHR daylight flight, for example, they should by the time this is all done (even if it has to be an RJ to sneak out of DCA at 5am.)

Golly, sorry. Still, I'm thinking that for the same reasons that AA tried those RJs at all, One World will want a fully-robust shuttle on the whole DCA-NYC-BOS triangle: DCA being a hublet, NYC too important to concede, and Boston a favorite destination from both. If they don't have feed from DCA into BA's BOS-LHR daylight flight, for example, they should by the time this is all done (even if it has to be an RJ to sneak out of DCA at 5am.)

They don't need to feed BOS-LHR via DCA. The morning flight isn't the best for business yields since you wind up at LHR at night. Tough connection to make going from Terminal B to E as well.

AA does still fly multiple daily flights to JFK.

The timing and frequency of those flights indicate that they're aimed mostly at connecting traffic, besides for anyone going to Manhattan, LaGuardia is the preferred airport.

They don't need to feed BOS-LHR via DCA. The morning flight isn't the best for business yields since you wind up at LHR at night. Tough connection to make going from Terminal B to E as well.

Actually the morning flights are quite popular with the business crowd. If anything, they have a harder time filling up the back than they do filling Club and First. There isn't a complete lack of connections on the Heathrow end either at that hour - Cape Town, Johannesburg, Mumbai, Delhi, Dubai plus virtually every major city in the UK, France and Germany. I've gone both ways on this, but unless it can't be avoided I'm taking the morning flight. I'll have an ok breakfast on board, get a few hours of work done then maybe sleep a little or read and have a couple glasses of my favorite airline champagne and then upon arrival I'm able to eat a civilized meal in a restaurant, sleep in a real bed and not be chasing down a shower in an airport lounge.

Hainan is going to announce a new US destination soon from Beijing.

http://news.carnoc.com/list/265/265262.html (have to translate)
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/general_aviation/read.main/5915591/ (already translated here)

It could be Boston but it could also be Newark. Regardless of the destination it looks like summer 2014 launch. If it is Boston, I wonder if Hainan will continue the plane onto Shanghai. They do this with Xi'an-Beijing-Seattle currently and one other city.

Its Boston.

Hainan Airlines has applied to DOT to serve Boston-Beijing 4x weekly using 787. Proposed start date is June 2014. From reading the docket, it sounds like the end of June most likely. They just received approval from China's DOT (CAAC).

http://airlineinfo.com/ost15/ost111313.html#Hainan

This link may only last a week or two.

Wow, Boston is on fire. Tokyo, Istanbul, Dubai, Panama City and now Beijing all in the last 2 and a half years.

Actually the morning [BOS-LHR] flights are quite popular with the business crowd. If anything, they have a harder time filling up the back than they do filling Club and First. There isn't a complete lack of connections on the Heathrow end either at that hour - Cape Town, Johannesburg, Mumbai, Delhi, Dubai plus virtually every major city in the UK, France and Germany. I've gone both ways on this, but unless it can't be avoided I'm taking the morning flight. I'll have an ok breakfast on board, get a few hours of work done then maybe sleep a little or read and have a couple glasses of my favorite airline champagne and then upon arrival I'm able to eat a civilized meal in a restaurant, sleep in a real bed and not be chasing down a shower in an airport lounge.

I'm glad to get your confirmation--that was my experience when I flew BOS-LHR on AA's daylight flight--it was my boss who insisted we try it (we flew "full Y" fares).

If AA is looking for new ways to exploit its "merger synergies" which now combine its new-found heft at DCA and alliance strengths at JFK, BOS and into Heathrow, a DCA-BOS at 5:30am seems like the *kind* of thing to try. (an early DCA-JFK may end up being better for its timing, though DCA-BOS has the advantage of having a "real" business destination in BOS)

And by *kind* I do mean it may not literally be such a flight, but, golly, given their importance to a DCA hub, DCA-BOS and DCA-LGA Shuttle not going to shrink, and LGA-BOS still seems like the exactly the kind of market that the World's Largest Airline should be trying to dominate with its synergies, especially any hay it can make via BOS with its OneWorld partners

Potentially another new international airline...

Iceland's Wow to add Boston flights

Massport should be working with the Keflavik Airport folks -- with both WOW and Icelandic providing both flights to BOS as well as to less popular EU destinations -- Keflavik should be used as a mini BOS Hub to places such as Stockholm, Warsaw, Oslo

Next target for Massport should be direct Air Berlin service to the new Berlin Airport

Direct Berlin would be great. More a tourist hot spot then business tho. That's why its probably been held back.

Massport should be working with the Keflavik Airport folks -- with both WOW and Icelandic providing both flights to BOS as well as to less popular EU destinations -- Keflavik should be used as a mini BOS Hub to places such as Stockholm, Warsaw, Oslo

Next target for Massport should be direct Air Berlin service to the new Berlin Airport

That's exactly how Icelandic has been operating for years - as kind of a low cost alternative connecting people on to continental Europe. The actual demand to Reykjavik is negligible. Berlin would never happen. The market is only about 75 passengers per day and Iberia and Alitalia struggle in markets three times that size.

That's exactly how Icelandic has been operating for years - as kind of a low cost alternative connecting people on to continental Europe. The actual demand to Reykjavik is negligible. Berlin would never happen. The market is only about 75 passengers per day and Iberia and Alitalia struggle in markets three times that size.

Negligible is a bit strong. Its 60 PDEW and growing though it is true their business model is based as a low cost European hub. They would never do any bizarre point to point route like Boston-Berlin/Warsaw. All flights touch Keflavik airport.

Someone else mentioned other Scandinavian points. Finnair did Boston-Stockholm seasonally in the past but lets be honest Europe is tapped for expansion into Boston. Turkish Airlines is the nail in the coffin on that one. Also Delta (on the Paris flight) and Lufthansa are upgauging aircraft on some Euro routes next summer.

What is next internationally? Hopefully not too much with the exception of a Caribbean destination and maybe Mexico City. Logan needs the new routes to mature!!

This is probably very close to as good as it's going to get for Boston in the next decade or so. Europe is well covered with year round flights to all the major cities/hubs (London, Dublin, Amsterdam, Zurich, Munich, Frankfurt, Istanbul and Paris) and seasonal/less than daily flights to Lisbon, Madrid and Rome. Not many non-hub cities can match what Logan offers to Europe.

Throw in Tokyo, Dubai, Panama City and Beijing (apart from all the Canada and Caribbean flights) and that makes Logan a well rounded airport for international ops.

I think a non-stop flight to South America would be the icing on the cake, but doubt we'll see that happen in the next 2-3 years.

It's really going to be interesting to see how this affects the passenger numbers at Logan, especially on the international side. Hopefully all of these new routes work out and stay on.

What new Berlin airport? I don't see any new Berlin airport... they did just build a vary nice airport terminal movie set, though. :)

I don't see Berlin happening for awhile. Yes, Air Berlin has a hub there and can leverage the large AAdvantage following out of BOS, but there's still the British juggernaut at LHR which has a plethora of BOS service and can serve everything BER would be useful for and much, much more. Hub dynamics aside, BER is a much lower-yielding tourist destination compared to Frankfurt, Munich and Dusseldorf. Seasonal nonstop service is probably the most BOS can hope for at this point.

What new Berlin airport? I don't see any new Berlin airport... they did just build a vary nice airport terminal movie set, though. :)

Equilib -- yes the ground is not new -- its the old Commi Airport -- but there are some new runways and taxiways and $4B ecu in new movie set terminal construction

Goal is to make Berlin into a macro hub for Air Berlin the way FRA and MUC aka Flughafen München are for Lufthansa

For a major capital city Berlin is still poorly served with mostly 2-stop connections from the US

By the way the Germans think Berlin is well suited to be the major Hub for Poland, Baltics, Ukraine and Scandanavia

Back