Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

They have the A350 on order. Beijing is the largest market followed by Shanghai and Hong Kong but Hong Kong and Shanghai are more business-heavy routes where Beijing is liable to be dominated by tourists and students.

Speaking of- jetBlue to go directly at Delta hub in Detroit. Picking an opportune time to announce a connection between the two.

Delta has responded to JetBlue

Starting in March:

Detroit increased to 8 daily and the following additions

Jacksonville - 1 daily
Richmond, VA - 2 daily
Providenciales Turks and Caicos - 1 weekly Saturday flight.
Nassau Bahamas - 1 weekly Saturday flight.

All except Providenciales are on smaller E-175 or CRJ-900 aircraft.

Weekly Cancun service on 757 looks to be year-round now. No press release yet, if any, on this.

For some reason Delta has ended Norfolk VA service and essentially replaced it with Richmond(They are 80 miles or so apart).

Richmond is going to be a pretty crowded market between Delta, JetBlue and US Airways when they return with their seasonal service.

I wonder if anyone would fly Delta if they could fly Jet Blue instead. Delta's US service out of Logan really is terrible IMO. The CRJ-900 aircraft has such small seats and overhead bins, it should be avoided whenever possible. Their service to Europe is getting better with newer/bigger planes and better IFE.

^like all things, it comes down to cost. I normally dont have a carry on, but if people factor that into ticket purchase, JetBlue can get a $50 premium on fares to many airlines now. I normally give JetBlue a $25-50 cushion because they do provide a better all around service. That said, jetBlue prices can get expensive in a hurry on some routes compared to larger legacy carriers.

Settlement reached in American-USAir merger suit.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/11/12/5329220/source-settlement-in-american.html

Under the terms of the settlement, the airlines will divest 52 slot pairs at Washington Reagan National Airport (DCA) and 17 slot pairs at New York LaGuardia Airport (LGA), as well as certain gates and related facilities to support service at those airports. The airlines also will divest two gates and related support facilities at each of Boston Logan International Airport, Chicago O'Hare International Airport, Dallas Love Field, Los Angeles International Airport, and Miami International Airport. The divestitures will occur through a DOJ approved process following the completion of the merger. Despite the divestitures, the new American is still expected to generate more than $1 billion in annual net synergies beginning in 2015, as was estimated when the merger was announced in February.After completion of the required divestitures, the combined company expects to operate 44 fewer daily departures at DCA and 12 fewer daily departures at LGA than the approximately 290 daily DCA departures and 175 daily LGA departures that American and US Airways operate today.[ii] The divestitures required by the settlement are not expected to impact total employment at the new American.To ensure much of the service currently operated by the carriers to small- and medium-sized markets from DCA is maintained, the new American has agreed with the DOT to use all of its DCA commuter slot pairs for service to these communities. The new American intends to announce the service changes that will result from the divestitures in advance of the sale of the DCA and LGA slots, so that the airlines acquiring those slots have the opportunity to maintain service to those impacted communities.In the settlement agreement with the state Attorneys General, the new American has agreed to maintain its hubs in Charlotte, New York (Kennedy), Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago (O'Hare), Philadelphia, and Phoenix consistent with historical operations for a period of three years. In addition, with limited exceptions, for a period of five years, the new American will continue to provide daily scheduled service from one or more of its hubs to each plaintiff state airport that has scheduled daily service from either American or US Airways. A previous settlement agreement with the state of Texas will be amended to make it consistent with today's settlement.

http://m.prnewswire.com/news-releas...ce-and-state-attorneys-general-231589811.html

Last edited:
Another reason folks might flight fly a legacy carrier vice a low cost carrier to a destination is, trivial and petty as it may sound, the presence of a first class cabin.
I know some airline's regional jets are not equipped with 1st class cabins and on a shorter domestic flight, it is not unfair to ask if it really is a big perk to be upgraded.
That said, as a business traveler for well over a decade, taking 200+ flights per year, I have several times flown a legacy carrier [that I have top-tier frequent flyer status with and will almost always be upgraded on] over a low cost airline, EVEN if the low cost carrier had a non stop option and was marginally less expensive.
Trust me, if you "live" on planes and in airports, the modicum of separation from the g-pop that is cattle class does matter.
All that said, if JetBlue installed 1st class cabins in their jets, I would begin flying them all the time starting immediately.

Settlement reached in American-USAir merger suit.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/11/12/5329220/source-settlement-in-american.htmlThe airlines also will divest two gates and related support facilities at each of Boston Logan International Airport, Chicago O'Hare International Airport, Dallas Love Field, Los Angeles International Airport, and Miami International Airport.

Why Logan? It's not like a combined US/AA would be a monopoly there - JetBlue's quickly getting that covered. All the Terminal B gates were going to be jumbled in 2014 anyway when the connector comes online and United moves in, so do they need 2 more gates? It's not like JetBlue can take them, Virgin only needs one and can keep the one they have, so what? Do these just stay vacant forever? Does Air Canada flip sides to be with United?

Here is the proposed settlement as actually filed in court, with details, in some cases, right down to which specific gate has to be given up.

http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f301600/301624.pdf

I am very happy to see the Dallas Love divestiture (2 gates), which will very likely end up being bought by either Virgin America or JetBlue, and from there, either would be highly likely to add DAL-BOS service.

There's also a chance here for JetBlue to pick up the ability to add/operate more BOS-ORD, BOS-MIA, BOS-DCA. I'd expect Southwest to acquire most of the LGA slots.

I wonder if anyone would fly Delta if they could fly Jet Blue instead. Delta's US service out of Logan really is terrible IMO. The CRJ-900 aircraft has such small seats and overhead bins, it should be avoided whenever possible. Their service to Europe is getting better with newer/bigger planes and better IFE.

The one thing Delta has going for them is Terminal A. It's hands down the nicest terminal in Logan and one of the nicer facilities in the country.

Most people would rather pay the lowest fare possible and sacrifice some comfort.

Here is the proposed settlement as actually filed in court, with details, in some cases, right down to which specific gate has to be given up.

Actually, they don't specify gates for Logan, only that there have to be 2 of them and that the acquirer (United, I'd assume) is entitled to contiguous gates - Logan is the only airport with that stipulation. Since United and American are likely to slide around Terminal B as it is in the next 12 months, this basically just means that AA ends up with 2 fewer gates than it would have, while United gets 2 more.

Since United doesn't need those gates (8 are being built specifically for them), I wonder if that could be a cue for Air Canada to lease them and bring back some service to Canada. Alternately, WestJet might be a possibility if they want to challenge on the Canada routes. I can't think of an American carrier that isn't at Logan that would want in (Frontier and Alleigant don't seem likely), JetBlue, Southwest, etc. are in the wrong terminals, and Virgin only needs 1 gate total.

The E-175 isn't as bad seating wise. You have to watch the bins on those as well. Same thing goes for JetBlue's E-190's.

Also, one more Delta addition 3 weekly flights to Las Vegas - timed for 3-4 day weekend trips. The return is a redeye.

The E-175 isn't as bad seating wise. You have to watch the bins on those as well. Same thing goes for JetBlue's E-190's.

Also, one more Delta addition 3 weekly flights to Las Vegas - timed for 3-4 day weekend trips. The return is a redeye.

Seems like a reasonable add. Boston-Las Vegas has been a one airline route for a few years now and competition is always good.

I do have some reservations about the Nassau and Turks adds. While they're only once a week, I have a hard time seeing them being able to fill a plane during July and August. I wonder if JetBlue will extend their seasonal weekly service year round to compete?

Actually, they don't specify gates for Logan, only that there have to be 2 of them and that the acquirer (United, I'd assume) is entitled to contiguous gates - Logan is the only airport with that stipulation. Since United and American are likely to slide around Terminal B as it is in the next 12 months, this basically just means that AA ends up with 2 fewer gates than it would have, while United gets 2 more.

Since United doesn't need those gates (8 are being built specifically for them), I wonder if that could be a cue for Air Canada to lease them and bring back some service to Canada. Alternately, WestJet might be a possibility if they want to challenge on the Canada routes. I can't think of an American carrier that isn't at Logan that would want in (Frontier and Alleigant don't seem likely), JetBlue, Southwest, etc. are in the wrong terminals, and Virgin only needs 1 gate total.

Equilib -- here's what Massport has said courtesy of the BBJ
The divestitures would have a minimal impact at Logan. After the merger’s completion, now expected next month, the new company would still pose a significant threat to JetBlue’s dominance at the Boston airport. Massport spokesman Richard Walsh says this settlement doesn’t mean a loss of any routes, for the itineraries of either American or US Airways, out of Logan.
In February, when the merger was announced, Massport officials said a US Airways-American combination would have 24 percent of passenger traffic at Logan, making it the No. 2 airline at the airport. (The new company will operate under the American brand name.) That figure compared to JetBlue’s roughly 25-percent market share at the time.

Massport officials say they expect the merger to have little impact on Logan customers. The current expansion of Terminal B slated to be completed in early 2014 will free up additional gates in Terminal A, Walsh says. He says this change, along with the upcoming divestiture of two gates by a combined American-US Airways, will allow room for new airlines and growth of other existing carriers at Logan.

Would the two gates necessarily go to United, or does the settlement require that they go to new or low-cost airlines?

I feel like terminal E can get clogged at peak times in the evening flights to Europe. I know getting customs in A is a high hurdle, but do you think given the excess capacity we could eventually see it used by a foreign airline for some departures?

I don't think any carrier is specifically entitled to them. They could even wind up vacant. The new American (America West dba American Airlines) will have about 22 gates after the divestiture which is probably more than they need, unless the plan is to increase service. With the divestiture of slots at Reagan and Laguardia I could see the Shuttle being axed.

Seems like a reasonable add. Boston-Las Vegas has been a one airline route for a few years now and competition is always good.

I do have some reservations about the Nassau and Turks adds. While they're only once a week, I have a hard time seeing them being able to fill a plane during July and August. I wonder if JetBlue will extend their seasonal weekly service year round to compete?

Though I personally would rather stay in New England in July and August (with the exception of visiting family/friends in CA or FL), people do travel to the Caribbean in the summer for a variety of reasons

1)There are some families who can only go away during this time.
2)Its a lot cheaper
3)July is the lowest risk month for hurricanes historically during storm season.

I think Delta will be able to fill a weekly E-175 (76 seats) to Nassau without a hitch.

Turks and Caicos may be a bit trickier with a larger plane and a smaller market. These islands are typically more expensive to vacation in as well.

I wonder if they should have went into Aruba as well and kept Turks March-June only.

Back