Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Interesting takeaway from the NECN article:

Massachusetts Port Authority CEO Thomas P. Glynn said Tuesday is it not out the question Boston gets brought these behemoths. "Some of the airlines are lobbying us to take a look at being able to service an A380, so that's one of the things that we're trying to prepare for in case the whole market shifts -- that we're ready to handle those aircraft," Glynn said.

Seems like some airlines actually want to run A380 service at BOS. Who could it be? Lufthansa?

Start of C to E, and renovations to E.

Massport is in talks to bring in a Tel Aviv flight on El Al Israel Airlines, said Thomas Glynn, chief executive of Massport. A Milan route is also on the list.,

They keep beating the drums on Tel Aviv while the focus should be on destinations with large traffic potential and better hubs like Seoul, Shanghai (I believe they are begging for this one), and Hong Kong.

Are there even strong ties to Milan in Boston? Who would serve it? Delta, Alitalia or one of the other Middle East Carriers as a 1-stop to their hub?

Interesting takeaway from the NECN article:
Seems like some airlines actually want to run A380 service at BOS. Who could it be? Lufthansa?

Air France, Lufthansa, British Airways and even Emirates are plausible.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Emirates to be honest. There's been talk that they want to go all A380 in North America.

I am hesitant on adding a non-stop flight to Tel Aviv.

I would rather see them land a non-stop flight to say Brazil before adding another city in the Middle East.

Tel Aviv is a major technology hub. Maybe there are more business trips there than you might think.

Tel Aviv is a major technology hub. Maybe there are more business trips there than you might think.

There certainly is the tech sector to think about. I am just saying Boston is going to get non-stop flights to nearby Istanbul and that will play a factor in how viable adding a non-stop to Tel Aviv is.

I just hope in the end this service sticks around at Boston. For a non-hub airport, Boston has solid international air service.

The January numbers have been released by Massport.

Total Airport Passengers: 2,016,205 - a .1% decrease vs. January 2013. January 2013 numbers were 2,018,163.

Total International Passengers: 291,602 - a 1.4% increase vs. January 2013. January 2013 numbers were 287,024.

Total Domestic Passengers: 1,719,703 - a .3% decrease vs. January 2013. January 2013 numbers were 1,724,207.

Total Aircraft Movements: 24,841 - a 4.5% decrease vs January 2013. January 2013 numbers were 25,999.

Load factor for JAL's Tokyo flights: 83%. Averaged 155 pax a flight.

Average load on European flights: 197 passengers.

Are there even strong ties to Milan in Boston?

Yes. Milan is the end-all, be-all of the Italian economy. Italy is still a highly significant economy in the world and one of the top-4 European economies. The MA economy is highly connected to Europe - and Italy. Milan strikes me as much more relevant for business travel than Panama City, for starters.

The January numbers have been released by Massport.

Total Airport Passengers: 2,016,205 - a .1% decrease vs. January 2013. January 2013 numbers were 2,018,163.

Total International Passengers: 291,602 - a 1.4% increase vs. January 2013. January 2013 numbers were 287,024.

Total Domestic Passengers: 1,719,703 - a .3% decrease vs. January 2013. January 2013 numbers were 1,724,207.

Total Aircraft Movements: 24,841 - a 4.5% decrease vs January 2013. January 2013 numbers were 25,999.

Load factor for JAL's Tokyo flights: 83%. Averaged 155 pax a flight.

Average load on European flights: 197 passengers.

I'm assuming the total numbers were down due to all the weather cancellations?

Yes. Milan is the end-all, be-all of the Italian economy. Italy is still a highly significant economy in the world and one of the top-4 European economies. The MA economy is highly connected to Europe - and Italy.

Did find an interesting article from last year concerning business ties written by the speaker the house.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/p...ass-italy-relationship-requires.html?page=all

The problem with Milan is that its no longer a hub for Alitalia and its infested with European Low-Cost Carriers. Lufthansa tried to hub it a couple of years back and lost their shirt. Also, its interesting to note that for North America, only New York, Newark, Miami, Toronto and Atlanta (seasonal) are the only destinations served from Milan by non-charter airlines.

The only way Boston-Milan happens is Ethiad or Qatar starting Boston-Milan-Abu Dhabi/Doha. Delta would prefer that you fly to JFK or Amsterdam first. Ethiad is looking to invest in Alitalia as well which also leads to a possibility Ethiad does Boston-Rome.

Milan strikes me as much more relevant for business travel than Panama City, for starters.

Panama City works for Boston due to its hub status for North-South travel in the Americas and it only takes a small 737 to get there.

Did JAL have an extra flight that month? There were 64 transpac flights in January.

Didn't a Singapore A380 land here in January? Would that count? I'm not even sure it originated in Asia.

Also, The introduction of Turkish Airlines to Boston has knocked down prices to a lot of European destinations (many are in the $600-800 rt range on kayak depending on when you're traveling). I'm flying into Zurich on Turkish next December and it's quite a bit more inexpensive than Swiss's direct to Zurich (which is an average, at best, trans-Atlantic economy experience). I flew Swiss to Istanbul last month (connect in Zurich), so I guess it makes sense that I'll fly Turkish to Switzerland (connecting in Istanbul).

Massport has published a RFQ for an 1,800 space parking garage at Logan. This basically maxes out Logan under the available cap. After this is built, don't know whether Logan-associated, off-premises parking would need to be located outside of East Boston.

Last edited:
Massport has published a RFQ for an 1,800 space parking garage at Logan. This basically maxes out Logan under the available cap. After this is built, don't know whether Logan-associated, off-premises parking would need to be located outside of East Boston.

This might be a silly question but why the need for a cap at the airport assuming traffic will allow for some more spaces? Is it purely environmental concerns? Or is it like one of those asinine local laws like strictly limiting cab medallions and liquor licenses.

There is no need for more parking at Logan. They should focus more on express buses from suburban lots.

There is no need for more parking at Logan. They should focus more on express buses from suburban lots.

Suburban buses are not a realistic option for many people. If my wife and I go away for 3 days, all in it will cost us approx. $70 to take the nearest bus to the airport. That includes the daily parking fee. If I drive myself and leave whenever I want I will save a significant amount of time and it will only cost me about $15-20 more. Then when I land, I can be in my house 30 minutes after I get off the plane as opposed to over an hour or more taking the bus. It is a no-brainer. The time I save and the and convenience factor far outweigh the $20. The only time I could see the bus being worth it would be if I was traveling for 5+ days and it would cost me well in excess of $100 to park at the airport. The buses simply don't make sense for many people. Try convincing someone heading on a quick business trip that they would better off taking a bus to save a few bucks even though it would take them significantly longer.

I personally think it is naive and shortsighted to say that there is no need for more parking. Passenger numbers are only going to increase over the next few decades. At some point they will need more parking. Or at minimum jack up the central parking rates and cut in half the bus fee and parking rates where the bus leaves from. Give people an incentive to take the bus over parking. Right now the numbers don't make sense except for long trips or those scared to drive in and around downtown.

I'd call Lufthansa and BA plausible. Air France and Emirates are unlikely.

Boston isn't the sort of market that works with the configuration of Air France's A380s. They're too premium-heavy. Let's wait to see how Emirates does first, it did take a hefty subsidy to get them here after all.

Though the subsidy helps, I believe EK would have come eventually regardless of subsidy. They have a boatload on A380's on order as well so they have to go somewhere. I'd personally prefer to see double daily A359 someday instead to maximize connections in Dubai and eliminate some 8 hour layovers currently offered.

All the A380 setups seem premium heavy but I see your point when comparing Air France's current seat offerings compared to British Airways and Lufthansa. They just do not offer as many biz seats and their 747 has no first class.

Numbers in first/business/economy

Emirates 14/76/(399 or 427)
British Airways 14/97/358 (55 are premium economy)
Air France 9/80/427 (38 are premium economy)
Lufthansa 8/98/420

The other aspect of this issue is the outstanding job that Massport has done poaching passengers from Green and Manchester. Many of those travelers are families with young kids and a lot of luggage. Dealing with the hassles of a bus might just be the thing that puts them off Logan and back to flying out of the inferior local airport.

I live in the North Shore. Manchester is about twice the travel time for me than Logan.

If I had kids and was going to Disney World, I'd strongly consider Manchester.
Being able to claim your luggage in 5 minutes makes up for the extra distance.

^^ Isn't jetBlue still doing flights between Worcester & Orlando? Worcester & Ft. Lauderdale? I'd consider that if taking a family to FL from up here, personally.

Back