Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Is this at Logan? Any other details or announcements?

Also saw the AWARE billboards on the way to Logan the other day three - to be exact on 1A South. No mention of Qatar Air ways just Qatar in general and using the airline's color scheme

Admittedly not sure where locally but I would guess at Logan. I can ask around and find out.

A JetBlue-Virgin merger has looked very likely to me from the moment Virgin started flying. They're very similar products with puzzle-piece networks and compatible fleets.

JetBlue buying Virgin makes more sense than Alaska. As you mentioned, their fleets are very similar.

I would assume JetBlue would go after this deal very hard. It would instantly give them a much larger presence on the West Coast. They'd gain a focus city in SFO, access to Hawaii flights, Western Mexico (Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas), eliminate competition on their BOS/JFK-SFO&LAX flights and as an offshoot to SFO focus city, access to DCA-SFO.

JetBlue buying Virgin makes more sense than Alaska. As you mentioned, their fleets are very similar.

I would assume JetBlue would go after this deal very hard. It would instantly give them a much larger presence on the West Coast. They'd gain a focus city in SFO, access to Hawaii flights, Western Mexico (Puerto Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas), eliminate competition on their BOS/JFK-SFO&LAX flights and as an offshoot to SFO focus city, access to DCA-SFO.

Virgin's semi-transcons from Dallas Love (to SFO, LAX, LGA, and DCA) are also ideal for JetBlue.

Inagural Mint trip report from a reputable FTer:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip...1-inaugural-bos-sfo-mint-march-24-2016-a.html

Overall looks good, I did not know they do upsells at the gate. I'm guessing once they get a foothold in the premium market and offer it across all frequencies, open seats will be few and far between. Also interesting that the catering is different ex-BOS than ex-JFK, despite them still having NY-based partner sourced products (Blue Marble ice cream, Saxon+Parole, Mah Ze Dahr bakery, etc). B6 "catering" (beverage/snack restocking) is done by LSG Skychefs out of here, but the Mint catering is a partnership with Flying Food Group who does not operate from Logan.

Also per Carfield's report looks like they had a fairly low profile launch aside from the media event the preceding day.

Question: has anyone noticed if Norwegian got put up on the board of airlines for terminal E? I thought it was strange last Saturday that they weren't on despite the seasonal stuff already having operated and LGW flights to commence the following day but SAS was already up.

February 2015 will look poor, both operations and passengers, because of all the snow that fell.

Anyone know what the current design capacity is for Logan?

I only fly in and out of Logan 3-4 times a year now so limited view but even after recent capex projects it feels like its busting at the seams (even at the domestic terminals). If Logan were to get to 40-45mm PAX is there even room to handle that kind of traffic on the existing site?

Only bring it up because I flew out Monday morning and it took me 50 minutes to get through security (domestic flight) and I don't see much space for additional security lines. Then I saw the high growth rates and it got me thinking.

Thread on Airliners cites a Financial Times article saying Virgin Atlantic will commence 2x/weekly service to Manchester, UK in 2017

Anyone know what the current design capacity is for Logan?

I only fly in and out of Logan 3-4 times a year now so limited view but even after recent capex projects it feels like its busting at the seams (even at the domestic terminals). If Logan were to get to 40-45mm PAX is there even room to handle that kind of traffic on the existing site?

Only bring it up because I flew out Monday morning and it took me 50 minutes to get through security (domestic flight) and I don't see much space for additional security lines. Then I saw the high growth rates and it got me thinking.

If the terminals at Logan are expanded the airport could handle more traffic. Runway capacity Logan should be fine. In comparison Heathrow airport in London gets 75 PAX and they only have two runways, Logan has 6 runways. It would be nice if they could improve transit connections to Worcester airport and convince some of the low cost carriers like Southwest or Spirit to move out there. Handsom is another option but it's neighbors will fight any attempt to add commercial service there.

On another note it would be amazing if they could expand Handscom to replace Logan and redevelop Logan Airport. However the chances of that happening are slim to none.

If the terminals at Logan are expanded the airport could handle more traffic. Runway capacity Logan should be fine. In comparison Heathrow airport in London gets 75 PAX and they only have two runways, Logan has 6 runways. It would be nice if they could improve transit connections to Worcester airport and convince some of the low cost carriers like Southwest or Spirit to move out there. Handsom is another option but it's neighbors will fight any attempt to add commercial service there.

On another note it would be amazing if they could expand Handscom to replace Logan and redevelop Logan Airport. However the chances of that happening are slim to none.

I don't think we'll be seeing Southwest or Spirit make the move out to Worcester.

They could easily (well easier said than done) more space if they were to adjust 33L/19R to the right, and fill in some of the areas adjacent to the airport - such as the area between Wood Island Bay Park and 22R.

More information on the Virgin Atlantic Manchester flights:

They will be seasonal and run 2 times a week. Flights start March 28, 2017 and they'll run through October 27.

Posters on airliners.net are saying it will be flown by 330 aircraft.

I am wondering if this is going to make Thomas Cook reevaluate their upcoming seasonal Manchester flights. They recently pulled back plans to add frequencies to their flights to Miami, JFK and LAX.

Came through Terminal E last night at one of the "peak arrival" times, about 7 PM. Eight or nine trans-Atlantic arrivals at the same time.

CBP is not prepared for this in-rush. We were literally being queued up in the hallways before the Arrivals Hall, and held back, because the room was at occupancy capacity.

My first thought was that we desperately need to expand the Arrivals and Customs Halls at Terminal E. But when I finally was allowed in, I realized that a lot of the bottleneck was personnel. Only half of the BP inspection stations had agents staffing them. So at least some of the CBP backup at Logan is self-induced by CBP via inadequate staffing.

Came through Terminal E last night at one of the "peak arrival" times, about 7 PM. Eight or nine trans-Atlantic arrivals at the same time.

CBP is not prepared for this in-rush. We were literally being queued up in the hallways before the Arrivals Hall, and held back, because the room was at occupancy capacity.

My first thought was that we desperately need to expand the Arrivals and Customs Halls at Terminal E. But when I finally was allowed in, I realized that a lot of the bottleneck was personnel. Only half of the BP inspection stations had agents staffing them. So at least some of the CBP backup at Logan is self-induced by CBP via inadequate staffing.

Any flights late?

Also - waht was the mix of US/Permanent Residents vs Foreign Nationals in these lines?

Any flights late?

Also - waht was the mix of US/Permanent Residents vs Foreign Nationals in these lines?

Flights were only a little late because they were waiting for gates at E (had to wait for departing traffic).

Mix seemed pretty normal maybe 60% US/Perm Res, 40% visitors.

The US/Perm Res. line was really bad. Only about 1/3 of the CBD stations staffed after the kiosks, so long processing lines. Seemed completely avoidable with staffing.

I think a better use/name/focus for this thread would be "Logan Flights & Facilities"

When/who /where is a a good time to see 787s at Logan?

BOS Current 787 Arrivals
JL 008 NRT BOS Arrival 18:00 Daily
HU 481 PEK BOS Arrival 15:10 Daily
HU 7961 PVG BOS Arrival 14:35 Tu,Th,Sa
DY 7147 LGW BOS Arrival 19:15 Mo,We,Th,Fr,Su
DY 7141 OSL BOS Arrival 17:50 Sa

This will change after Norwegian adds a second weekly OSL flight and a weekly CPH flight. In addition, VS runs a 787-9 to LHR seasonally and BA will begin running a 787-9 to LHR in the fall, arriving BOS in the late evening.

Where to see flights landing really depends on wind direction and weather. There are 3 main flight landing patterns, over Constitution Beach (planes coming in South), over Winthrop (planes coming in W/SW), and over Castle Island (planes coming in North). Planes typically land into the wind (ie. if the wind direction is north, planes will land coming in South, over Constitution Beach).

I would recommend you check a flight tracking site like flightradar24.com or flightaware.com before heading out.

Back