Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Ditto. I was a bit out of it after my red-eye to snap photos. But you can see some nice glass work going on.

On another note, here is what Mexico City is getting for their new airport. It would be amazing if Boston could ever get something like this.........I won't hold my breath.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1749293&page=9

No. Just no. We don't need blobitecture and Mexico especially doesn't need blobitecture.

I dunno, the open spaciousness of those renders reminds me of the airport in Hong Kong. I enjoyed the feeling that airport gave me.

Flew out on Saturday from Terminal E, glass is going up on the extension!

I dunno, the open spaciousness of those renders reminds me of the airport in Hong Kong. I enjoyed the feeling that airport gave me.

Jouhou -- try Singapore Changi Airport-- for one kind of openness -- just don't bring any contraband [long list including chewing gum and cigarettes]

They even have a page devoted to where to take your "selfies"
http://www.changiairport.com/en/air...changi/things-to-do-articles.html#recommend-4
Top 5 places to take a selfie at Changi Airport
Whether you're at a concert, a museum or even an airport, you can't go five minutes without bumping into someone taking a selfie. At Changi Airport, there are dozens of backdrops that would make for a stunning self-taken photograph.

To help you narrow your choices, and save you time in the process, here are Changi Airport's top 5 selfie spots:
  • Sunflower Garden -- Transit Area, Terminal 2
    With bright flowers sitting amid a backdrop of the airport's runway, a stunning photo is waiting to be snapped at this rooftop garden at the Transit Hall of Terminal 2. Better still if you're there on a day when the clouds are in a playful mood to add a dramatic dimension to your shot.
  • Social Tree -- Transit Area, Terminal 1
    This towering art installation cries out for a photo. At almost nine metres tall, the Social Tree is an advanced memory capsule that allows visitors to display their photos and videos on 64 giant 42-inch high-definition screens that make up the 'crown' of this tree.

The 360-degree crown also shows off various animated backgrounds, including a mystical forest and the Singapore skyline. Not only a visual treat, a selfie of this intriguing creation will be accompanied with an equally compelling story.

Best of all, images taken are stored for many years, allowing you to retrieve your precious memories of Changi Airport on subsequent visits.
  • Raffles Long Bar -- Transit Area, Terminal 3
    There's no need to head in to town to experience the majesty of the iconic Raffles Hotel. On the second floor of the DFS Wines and Spirits duplex boutique, you can capture a slice of that heritage on camera at the Raffles Hotel’s Long Bar, where the world-famous Singapore Sling was first concocted. To complete the picture, have the bartender whip up a cocktail to drink as you snap the selfie. Or better still, take one with the bartender as well!
  • Butterfly Garden -- Transit Area, Terminal 3
    With 1,000 butterflies housed at this garden at Terminal 3, you have no excuse for not taking a photo with one of these colourful creatures. Your selfie will be greatly enhanced by the surrounding landscape of flowering plants, lush greenery and a six-metre grotto-waterfall at this unique habitat.
  • Enchanted Garden -- Transit Area, Terminal 2
    Giant glass bouquet sculptures that make up the centerpiece of this Shangri-La like garden at Terminal 2 is a favourite for selfie enthusiasts. The sculptures are decorated with a mosaic of reflective and shimmering stained glass that houses a stunning variety of freshly cut flowers and soft ferns. With a backdrop like that, you will be immersed in your very own fairy tale.

This view was my favorite as of a couple of years ago
changi_terminal3_greenwall7.jpg

However, new Terminal 4 is opening next year and I'm sure that it will be competing with the others for selfies

Terminal E (MPA L1346) snapped hastily from the Silver Line this morning:

fTXkW1B.jpg

oBb5AV0.jpg

As a side note, I came across this old MBTA neighborhood map for Eastie for sale by an MBTAGifts affiliate on Facebook. Logan is verrrrry interesting.

South Terminal II (Terminal B as we know it today) was built in 1973 by John Carl Warnecke & Asso, so this had to have been before the completion of that & after the completion of the North Terminal (Terminal C as we know it today) in 1963 by Perry Shaw Hepburn & Dean, as Terminal B appears totally different here and the MBTA/Cambridge Seven might have used some future rendering or something for the map. The International Terminal (Terminal E as we know it today), built in 1971 by Kubitz & Pepi/Desmond & Lord, is also pictured with additional piers that were never constructed.

RE7hbxP.jpg

Last edited:
I actually am really hoping that singapore air uses one of their new a350 ULR to serve boston, as far as ultra long haul east asian hubs go, I think changi and incheon are ideal for a layover after being stuck on a plane for a really long time.

South Terminal II (Terminal B as we know it today) was built in 1973 by John Carl Warnecke & Asso, so this had to have been before the completion of that & after the completion of the North Terminal (Terminal C as we know it today) in 1963 by Perry Shaw Hepburn & Dean, as Terminal B appears totally different here and the MBTA/Cambridge Seven might have used some future rendering or something for the map. The International Terminal (Terminal E as we know it today), built in 1971 by Kubitz & Pepi/Desmond & Lord, is also pictured with additional piers that were never constructed.

The mirrored South Terminal did exist, but I don't think it was ever as complete as the North. If you go to Historic Aerials, both buildings get piers added sometime between 1955 and 1969, though it seems like the North Terminal got them later and had much beefier ones. The ticketing hall to connect the piers was also never built on the South.

I wouldn't be surprised if they built the South first, then tried to beef up the North for the jet age, then said screw it and went with a completely different concept for the South in the 70s. I think I've also seen concepts where they wanted to tear C down and replace it with a copy of B.

It's interesting that the map has Terminal A in 1964, since it wasn't built until 1969/1970.

Equilibria -- the map has to be younger than 1964 -- since it has the Eastern Terminal [Term A] basic form for the footprint

I doubt that the footprint was already that well defined several years before the detailed design for the Terminal even started

I'm guessing the map is circa 1969

east1.png

Very interesting. Didn't think to check Historic Aerials for some reason. It's awesome to see the evolution of Logan.

Just made this:

5pF3CiO.gif

In other news, I'm still checking Massport's website regularly to see when they post a proposal for the Terminal B consolidation project. New this time was the construction contract B37-B38 connector (current Virgin America gates). They haven't posted the supplemental package yet (with blueprints, hopefully), but the description talks about airline offices, a linking hallway to the food court, and new bathrooms to support the gates (that last one is weird, because they already have bathrooms there, and not terrible ones).

It's funny - by the time they start building this, they'll be plotting to move AA out of that pier, and Virgin America will have moved next to Alaska, so I'm not sure why they'd do this before they have an airline to live there (likely Southwest), but whatever.

I actually am really hoping that singapore air uses one of their new a350 ULR to serve boston, as far as ultra long haul east asian hubs go, I think changi and incheon are ideal for a layover after being stuck on a plane for a really long time.

Singapore Airlines couldn't make NYC or LAX work; I don't see them opening up Boston any time soon. Granted, they were flying an A340 which would consume more fuel than an A350, but I still don't see that making up for the (order of magnitude) larger demand that NYC and LAX have over BOS.

Singapore Airlines couldn't make NYC or LAX work; I don't see them opening up Boston any time soon. Granted, they were flying an A340 which would consume more fuel than an A350, but I still don't see that making up for the (order of magnitude) larger demand that NYC and LAX have over BOS.

They plan on acquiring I think it was 9 a350ULR (they're just regular a350s configured with less seats), and we are talking about a modern twinjet as opposed to a 4 engine plane that unfortunately had a very short lifespan before rendered obsolete. I can imagine they plan on reaching all of the above cities.

I also doubt Singapore would ever start service to Boston. Apart from the local demand probably being on the lower end, the route would overfly a lot of Asia so one would have to do a lot of backtracking to get to places like Hong Kong, Seoul, Osaka, Nagoya, Guangzhou, etc.

United is starting non-stop flights to Singapore from San Francisco using a 787-900.

They plan on acquiring I think it was 9 a350ULR (they're just regular a350s configured with less seats), and we are talking about a modern twinjet as opposed to a 4 engine plane that unfortunately had a very short lifespan before rendered obsolete. I can imagine they plan on reaching all of the above cities.

I'm sorry, but this is wrong.

According to this source the fuel CASM (cost per available seat mile) is $0.134 for an A340-500 (type used by SQ to on SIN-EWR) vs $0.083 for an A350-900. What that means is the A350 is roughly 60% more fuel efficient than an A340 on a per-passenger basis.

We can use that information to compare to SQ's failed SIN-EWR flight in order to come up with a minimum demand required for profitability. Boston would need to have more than 60% of the demand that the NYC flight had in order to have a chance of viability. I would be willing to bet a lot of money that that is not the case.

B37-B38 Conceptual Plans:
How big a change is this from what's there now? This looks like a fairly mundane rehab. I was (for no good reason) expecting a real airside connection from B to C. What am I missing?

How big a change is this from what's there now? This looks like a fairly mundane rehab. I was (for no good reason) expecting a real airside connection from B to C. What am I missing?

The area for the enlarged "hold room" is currently offices (from CL 160-180). The area for the new "concourse" is currently offices & locker rooms (from CL 210-240). They're just wiping all those out to connect to the food court.

Back