Logan Airport Flights and Airlines Discussion

Does anyone know roughly when Logan Airport will release their 2019 travel statistics? I'm curious whether the airport cracked 43 million passengers or not.

Asheville and Destin/Ft Walton might have some staying power, given the long-term "half my family moved south" affinities.

Knoxville, as home to Oak Ridge National Labs, sometimes surprises. It is certainly a place to find scientist types to interview for tech jobs.

Grand Rapids is a tough sell. If you aren't already on a DeVos family jet, why are you coming to Boston?

UTenn main campus is Knoxville too and it has Smoky Mountains. Asheville/Boston makes for a hipster long weekend in either direction.

Now Grand Rapids is actually the largest market O+D wise of these announcements. Does anyone go there in summer for Lake Michigan? I was at the Travel and Adventure show and Lake Michigan beaches were discussed as being a new hot spot.

I really think most of these allegiant flights are aimed at bringing tourists TO Boston. Boston is a HUGE summer tourism destination and that's what Allegiant specializes in. All of these flights seem to be timed to encourage weekend visitors to Boston. There is virtually 0 % chance that anyone traveling for work / interviews / conferences will be using a twice weekly flight on a ULCC leisure airline

Last edited:
Now Grand Rapids is actually the largest market O+D wise of these announcements. Does anyone go there in summer for Lake Michigan? I was at the Travel and Adventure show and Lake Michigan beaches were discussed as being a new hot spot.
Yes, that's the part I'm suspicious of. The other 3 have price-sensitive VFR/College/Early Career demographics, which Allegient could aspire to stimulate.

BOS-GRR seems very finite, even if it is larger.

Bit of a shame Allegiant appears to have no partner airlines or codeshares. The direct market for these flights seems small, if they offered international connections onward then I could see it working out but it looks like they partner with absolutely no one...

Yes, that's the part I'm suspicious of. The other 3 have price-sensitive VFR/College/Early Career demographics, which Allegient could aspire to stimulate.

BOS-GRR seems very finite, even if it is larger.

GRR is a "focus city" for Allegient. I'm wondering if, unlike the other destinations, they're thinking that they'll get connecting traffic in addition to the O&D. For example, they fly from GRR to Phoenix, Vegas, Austin, LA, etc. It's not completely in line with their point to point model, but they may believe that that they'll get some leisure travelers from Boston heading to those sunny destinations out west.

GRR is a "focus city" for Allegient. I'm wondering if, unlike the other destinations, they're thinking that they'll get connecting traffic in addition to the O&D. For example, they fly from GRR to Phoenix, Vegas, Austin, LA, etc. It's not completely in line with their point to point model, but they may believe that that they'll get some leisure travelers from Boston heading to those sunny destinations out west.

Allegiant doesn't do connections. They are entirely point-to-point.

These flights are not aimed at Bostonians. Even if Allegiant did offer connections, who in their right mind would fly a twice weekly BOS-GRR-PHX/AUS/LAS when there are multiple carriers offering daily nonstop flights on all of those routes. Bostonians have plenty of better options for leisure travel. These flights are aimed at folks in secondary markets who want a weekend in Beantown, for whom Allegiant is really their only option.

Last edited:
I'm planning a trip to Asheville this summer with my wife and happen to be leaving BOS on a Monday. Am I crazy for booking the Allegiant non-stop over connecting in Philly or Atlanta? Similar price once you add seat selection etc. with Allegiant. I am not coming back from AVL so I'm not concerned about the return. It's a bit of a roll of the dice but for a pleasure trip, it may be worth avoiding the connection.

Has JetBlue ever tried serving Indianapolis? Seems odd that AA and DL will have IND-BOS but JetBlue wont.

Has JetBlue ever tried serving Indianapolis? Seems odd that AA and DL will have IND-BOS but JetBlue wont.

Great point. However, jetBlue is tame when approaching new markets in the Midwest. I think we could see more AA additions coming in the future (CVG, Bay Area and possibly more Saturday Leisure). Jetblue is more likely as of now to protect their current route network over adding mew routes. I think down the road, jetBlue will have no option besdies expanding in Middle America and pick up key markets like STL, CVG, IND, MCI and OMA. with new Euro flights coming in 2021, jetBlue should work on building a connecting market juat in case sales are weak. With Wilmington, Asheville and Grand Rapids becoming new routes from Boston today... I would love to see Louisville, San Antonio, Greensboro and Greenville SC. As well as Brussels, Athens, Milan, Oporto, Berlin and Guangzhou added to rthe BOS route network.

Allegiant doesn't do connections. They are entirely point-to-point.

These flights are not aimed at Bostonians. Even if Allegiant did offer connections, who in their right mind would fly a twice weekly BOS-GRR-PHX/AUS/LAS when there are multiple carriers offering daily nonstop flights on all of those routes. Bostonians have plenty of better options for leisure travel. These flights are aimed at folks in secondary markets who want a weekend in Beantown, for whom Allegiant is really their only option.

Interesting. I know they're a point to point airline, but I didn't know they flat out didn't do connections at all. I know they're not aimed at Bostonians. I just wasn't sure if they hoped to supplement the GRR-BOS traffic with a handful of BOS-Points West passengers willing to connect for a low fare. The fact that they don't offer connections means they're not. I question the viability of most of these routes, but they've been successful in other markets.

I'm planning a trip to Asheville this summer with my wife and happen to be leaving BOS on a Monday. Am I crazy for booking the Allegiant non-stop over connecting in Philly or Atlanta? Similar price once you add seat selection etc. with Allegiant. I am not coming back from AVL so I'm not concerned about the return. It's a bit of a roll of the dice but for a pleasure trip, it may be worth avoiding the connection.

Not crazy, but one thing to remember with these ultra low cost carriers is that in addition to the no-frills service, you don't have many options if there's an interruption to operations. If there's an issue with one leg of your BOS-PHL/ATL-AVL on AA or DL, chances are there are going to be other routing options that will allow for you to be accommodated pretty quickly as there are multiple daily flights to/from the hubs. With Allegient, you could be stuck for days (or miss a few days of your trip if there's an issue on the outbound flight) if there's an issue. For me, I'd go with the connection. I flew Allegient once from PSM-FLL and I've done spirit a handful of times to PBI to visit family for a short trip, so I'm not opposed to these types of airlines under the right circumstances (i.e. significantly lower fare), but I wouldn't do it just to avoid a connection at a hub.

This is personally very exciting news as a route I take multiple times a year:

Also for an airline that doesn't consider Logan a focus, American is still doing well

edit:someone already posted about the AA expansion but I missed it on the last page my bad

Last edited:
HelloBoston, isn't that Wilmington flight only once per week?

Lrfox, the risk of cancellation with Allegiant is why I referred to the AVL nonstop as a "roll of the dice." I did just see a WSJ report that had very good on time/delay/cancellation numbers for Allegiant. Far better than some of the more established carriers. But yeah, Allegiant is obviously much less likely to be able to recover quickly from a BOS cancellation than say a United, Delta, American etc.

Lrfox, the risk of cancellation with Allegiant is why I referred to the AVL nonstop as a "roll of the dice." I did just see a WSJ report that had very good on time/delay/cancellation numbers for Allegiant. Far better than some of the more established carriers. But yeah, Allegiant is obviously much less likely to be able to recover quickly from a BOS cancellation than say a United, Delta, American etc.

I agree - there will be no slack at Logan if a plane goes tech. You could luck out - Lets say the AVL flight is at 90% Load and the Grand Rapids is flight is 50% - hypothetical situation. They may cancel the GRR flight if the plane for AVL goes tech.

I think there is more to come with Allegiant. They had a presentation discussing 600 new route opportunities in USA.

Yeah it's an obscure one, local media reports it as testing the route to see if there is demand, I'm not entirely sure what the game plan is but I'll do my best to travel on a Saturday once and give it a go...

That makes sense, you know what you're dealing with. Like I said, I flew them once out of PSM with no trouble. It was $99 r/t to FLL about 2 weeks out. The cheapest out of BOS was Jetblue for around $400. So it was an obvious choice. Parking at PSM was free (not sure if it still is) and the airport was really quirky (very obviously used mostly to move military personnel). I'd fly them again out of Boston for the right price.

"With five carriers now competing for passengers on the route, RDU-Boston becomes RDU's most competitive connection, and for good reason, as research firm OAG named it as RDU's most profitable nonstop last year. When all carriers' services are combined, RDU-BOS raked in $80.6 million in revenue, according to OAG."

"The RDU-Boston flight will take off on weekdays at 7 a.m., 11 a.m., 2:30 p.m., 5 p.m. and 7:45 p.m. On Saturdays, flights will take off at 7 a.m., 2:30p.m. and 5 p.m., according to American."

Looks like JetBlue is adding non-stop service from Logan to Bozeman (BZN). Haven't seen the frequency, times or start date yet. Based on that addition and the Steamboat/Hayden add last year, I wonder if we eventually see JetBlue winter non-stop service to Jackson Hole (JAC). I've always wondered about Reno/Tahoe too.

Really looking for a flight to BTV, SAT, SDF, GSO, and MEM. Really the only unserved US routes. Maybe Delta and jetBlue (Or even American) can pickup a few of these.

Hopefully, with A321XLR we can have mroe destinations in Europe. Would love to see a 321X route to TXL (Or BER), OPO, ATH, VCE, GVA and BRU.

With CAN, HND, BER, ATH, OPO, VCE, GVA, BRU, SAT, SDF, GSO, MEM, BTV, and maybe a restart of MEX with the right connections, Boston would be a perfectly connected airport.

Although I was reading over the restructuring of Cabo Verde and I think that the airport is perfectly located as a connecting point for US traffic to Africa. I think Cabo Verder Airlines should look into two weekly departures from Logan and time them with flights set out to depart to Lagos, Dakar, Accra, and eventual new destinations the airline looks into adding. Casablanca looks as if it won't stay, atleast year round that is with load factors in the 40% range in November.

Back