Lovejoy Wharf | 131 Beverly Street | West End

This looks so dang good. Great work from Stern.

Stern didn't do much more than overall concept and final approval, it was mostly the now defunct ADD Inc. That brought it to this level.

Source: I actually worked on some of the CD's for this building.

Stern didn't do much more than overall concept and final approval, it was mostly the now defunct ADD Inc. That brought it to this level.

Source: I actually worked on some of the CD's for this building.

Good to know! Thanks for the insight.

My only issue with this building is how the window mullions match the color of the "brick" siding. It makes everything look fake (which the brick is, after all). I wish all the mullions were black like they are in the glass curtain portion and the Converse building next door.

davem wrote about this same thing over in the One Greenway thread.

JumboBuc -- are they cheap windows? -- they look from these images like a lot of high-end Eurostyle that you see in new construction in the EU all the time

Love this project and love the pictures. Thank you everybody!

If I may so bold as to ask, can the folks up there taking the pics also aim for the incredible boardwalk/walkway area? From what I have seen in person last year and from some of the few pics of it recently, THIS part is the true gem of what is probably the best urban development since Rowes Wharf.

The building is great, but what that walkway/boardwalk will do for LIFE in the Garden/North Station area - - particularly on nice days/nights when walking from/to the North End will truly be something that further separates Boston from most any other city in America.

Last edited:
Wow thank you. Greatly appreciated. This is an absolutely incredible urban space on the waterfront.

I bought a pair of converse Iv been rocking for a while for the sole fact that they built the rubber tracks studio to give local artists/producers a free professional studio to mix and record music in. They also have royalty free samples on their website that anyone can use for free whenever they want no questions asked. As someone that makes a lot of music you have no idea how big that is. I have made so many great songs that I mixed down and mastered only to go through the clearance process to get samples cleared and get turned down. When that happens I just chop the hell out of the samples and pitch them so its unrecognizable and then I just give em away for free to local dudes.

On the rubber tracks site say you want a saxophone sample that is professionally recorded and mixed already you got it. You just download it and find a part you like and can sample away. Same with drums, singing, full songs you can chop, its insane. Or say your a local piano player that wants to write your own piece of music and record it to show your family, friends, or class. You can -for free- go into the studio and record in a sound treated room with professional engineers who will mix it for you and now you have your piece of music finished. Much different results than trying to record in your home, even though with the right ingenuity it is possible. Every part of the community can benefit from all different things built in the city and this one really helps musicians big time.

Sorry went way off topic but the fact that they have a free to the public professional studio and royalty free music is such a huge benefit to local artists and producers that its mind blowing. Im a converse customer for life.

Last edited:
^Agree. The space is an incredible improvement. This is how we should be doing waterfront development.
Stick n move: I went to the "flagship store" because I wanted to support it a couple weeks ago and asked for some shoes to try on and they told me to "try the Newbury Street store" because they don't have much inventory. I ended up buying the shoes online, but I thought it was bizarre that their "flagship" store tells me to look somewhere else.

Thats weird.

Its crazy to think in that last pic just to your right is an incredible cable stay masterpiece. Hows that for stepping outside the studio to smoke a cigarette and find some inspiration. -step outside the studio after running out of ideas, get hit in the face with the zakim bridge in its full glory, along with the garden that just inside you know has so many banners you almost cant even see the game if your in the nose bleeds. - step back inside, make hit record.

The West End is finally starting to come together and I couldn't be happier.

I bought a pair of converse Iv been rocking for a while for the sole fact that they built the rubber tracks studio to give local artists/producers a free professional studio to mix and record music in.

Heheh, "sole" reason.

Ill walk in on my rubber sole converse and record some soul music with a group from Seoul.

Double post but..... Thats what separates this forum from others. Someone asked for a specific picture from a specific spot and someone went out and was like don't worry here u go. We may argue on here over certain things sometimes but we all have the greater picture in mind and its good to see the community aspect come together.

Alright Im way off topic now, great development cant wait to see how it looks with the Merano and garden towers to really bring the west end back from the dead.

Beeline, you are a God to me!

I love the building, but that ground level walk is the true urban life making gem of that project.

Before this, I can't imagine any human being wanting to walk around or eat lunch in that area. It hurt even to look in that direction. This basically animated a space from the dead.

That is a tremendous gift to the City of Boston. Wouldn't it be great if more developers/urban planners thought like that?

Last edited:
That looks great right now, but have we not yet learned that concrete does not age well, especially right on the water?

That looks great right now, but have we not yet learned that concrete does not age well, especially right on the water?

What would age better? Its pretty durable compared to other things save granite. I am positive that could have been a VE item in a development like this.

cca

Anyone know if there will be any ground level retail facing the boardwalk, beyond the flagship store?

Saw Deer Tick play from the top of the flagship store with the crow gathered on the boardwalk below last summer. Pretty awesome show / venue, even with traffic noise.

^ Yeah, the biggest mark against this boardwalk is the (significant) traffic noise, something the pictures can't capture.

What would age better? Its pretty durable compared to other things save granite. I am positive that could have been a VE item in a development like this.

cca

The things that do well down near and in salt water are: granite, quartz and marine alloys such as Monel and certain Aluminum Alloys such as 5083, 5086 and some Stainless Steels and Inconel and certain other Nickel Alloys

Certain Plastics and Epoxy Resins -- e.g. used in Fiberglass boats

Next are the things that will do OK If they are properly maintained such as painted regularly:

Carbon Steel and most Stainless Steels -- ideally with proper electrolytic corrosion protection [such as sacrificial elements]

Wood thoroughly soaked in and coated with nasty substances
Oak -- even unprocessed as long as it is kept fully submerged in an acidic aqueous environment

Concrete if is properly coated in coal tar or heavy asphalt especially in the zone where the work is regularly submerged and exposed to air

Of course no-one wants to look at concrete that has been coated -- so for show its got to be Granite and Monel
IGN-monel_wTW4QFJP9x4r.jpg

Back