Lovejoy Wharf | 131 Beverly Street | West End

This whole thing is just spectacular, including the Converse building. This is arguably the most respectful development of the last few years.

^^^Which brings me to the topic of who's gonna open the 'where do we go from here?' thread. In 6~7 years, short of concrete warfare, rezoning and the BRA exercising eminent domain, i just don't see where they're gonna be builiding. The BRA won't be welcomed with open arms when they go tearing through Roxbury, JP, and Dorchester. I can barely see where they're going beyond next year.

Last edited:
Is your implication, there's nowhere left to build?

Couple quick ideas:

* Columbus Center / land-building on top of Mass Pike extension (AGAIN)
* Chinatown (any, all of it) (esp. in "old" Chinatown - Tyler St, etc.)
* Dorchester Ave between Andrew and Broadway (being rezoned for height)
* Fairmont line
* Columbus / Tremont between Melnea Cass & Dudley
* Dudley Sq
* Kenmore Sq (?) (esp. if Fenway Center gets going, hahahahahahahahaha)

Why do people keep bringing up this question in a randomly-selected thread every week? The concept of "where is there left to build?" has been hashed out all over this forum, and, once again, does not really specifically apply to a discussion of whichever thread it ends up in, in this case Lovejoy. And the implication that there is no space left in Boston is still wrong. I can directly quote myself from December of last year, around the time when the concept of the city's running out space was first popping up:

"The city is not running out of room: vacant lots in the South End, huge parking lots in the Seaport, plenty of parcels along the Greenway, empty space in the Fenway, parking garages in Downtown, air rights along the entire Mass Pike, universities with lots of room to grow into, Suffolk Downs, Assembly Square, the sites where the Olympics would have been..." the list goes on and on.

lolol. I guess people don't visit as religiously as you or I.

Also, "How tall is x building?"

^^^Which brings me to the topic of who's gonna open the 'where do we go from here?' thread. In 6~7 years, short of concrete warfare, rezoning and the BRA exercising eminent domain, i just don't see where they're gonna be builiding. The BRA won't be welcomed with open arms when they go tearing through Roxbury, JP, and Dorchester. I can barely see where they're going beyond next year.

I have already started that thread and there is a ton of space left to build. I started it in a quest to find parcels that no one has proposed building on yet...but people just thought I was saying there is nowhere left to build and the thread derailed in 1.3 seconds.

Is your implication, there's nowhere left to build?

Couple quick ideas:

* Columbus Center / land-building on top of Mass Pike extension (AGAIN)
* Chinatown (any, all of it) (esp. in "old" Chinatown - Tyler St, etc.)
* Dorchester Ave between Andrew and Broadway (being rezoned for height)
* Fairmont line
* Columbus / Tremont between Melnea Cass & Dudley
* Dudley Sq
* Kenmore Sq (?) (esp. if Fenway Center gets going, hahahahahahahahaha)

^Good points....and look where most of the development is going up currently: On odd lots, parking garages, adaptive re-use, etc. You wouldn't think there's anywhere left to build, but there actually is.... I would love to see Columbus Center come back to life and fill in that currently dead space.
Fly over the city on google earth, and you can see lots of potential choice spots.

How about that Lovejoy Wharf? Very respectful project, given what it replaced.

Oh my god, in the second pic, is that a freaking cornice?!

A cornice is as rare as a unicorn these days. So I guess you could call one a... unicornice? :D

THIS is how you build a facade is Boston. Bring back the best elements of periods past, while giving it a modern twist-tastefully. Very happy with this. Blackstone market please take notes.

THIS is how you build a facade is Boston. Bring back the best elements of periods past, while giving it a modern twist-tastefully. Very happy with this. Blackstone market please take notes.

2nd that one -- not just Blackstone but One Bromfield

This facade should be a model for all upcoming developments. It will look good for many, many years to come.

This facade should be a model for all upcoming developments. It will look good for many, many years to come.

CJBski -- not all -- but where appropriate in the context of the surroundings

It wouldn't make sense at South Station or the Aquarium Garage nor probably at the Back Bay Station either

But it definitely would be a way to make human-scale from the sidewalk level up to the Glass Tower on One Bromfield

Although of course for DTX it should be stone not brick

0B7si7aM3IAqUU1Rsck1KMFl2YjQ

0B7si7aM3IAqUV0l5aGV5M3pUYzQ

Poolio -- more nice pix --- Does Mahty and the Brick Layers Union Bosses knows dat dem buildahs now usina precast dat looks like BrickWohk ??? :rolleyes:

the above was for humorous purposes only -- no ethnic or other slurs upon the hardworking blue collar community were intended

Thank, whigh. Just glad to have something to contribute once in a while. I would have liked to get some decent pix of the front, but was at the mercy of the sun and shadows.

Gotta say, having finally seen this building in person, it's every bit as good as people say. Impressive in both design and materials, but especially in the way it relates to its site/context.

It really is its one of those buildings that looks like its been there forever, and its not even done being built.

Back