Lovejoy Wharf - Hoffman Building | 160 North Washington Street | West End

Imagine that view with the condo building done plus td garden projects.

Great photo.

Do you know where employees are supposed to park? To my knowledge no parking deals have been signed yet. Plenty of garage space in the area though.

Why would/should there be a parking deal? You park wherever you can. You're on your own, as you rightly should be when your place of work is located literally next to North Station. You take the T or you pay the price to park. It's not like my company in DTX has any parking agreements. If you want to drive in, you pay $40/day to park at one of the nearby garages.

This entire development (including the condo building going up next to it) is a net zero parking development.

Why would/should there be a parking deal? You park wherever you can. You're on your own, as you rightly should be when your place of work is located literally next to North Station. You take the T or you pay the price to park. It's not like my company in DTX has any parking agreements. If you want to drive in, you pay $40/day to park at one of the nearby garages.

This entire development (including the condo building going up next to it) is a net zero parking development.

My company in DTX will pay for T passes, but not parking. We are literally surrounded by all four subway lines.

The beauty of moving from Lawrence to NS should be that you park at home or your local Northside CR station.

I understand your point but save the lecture. I was asking because I work in parking--and yes my company has large corporate clients that pay for parking.

My company in DTX will pay for T passes, but not parking. We are literally surrounded by all four subway lines.

Curious: do they actually subsidise your transit costs and give you guys the monthly LinkPasses - I'm assuming LinkPasses and not several-hundred-dollar commuter rail passes - or are you talking the employer benefit of having the money for your pass being deducted pre-tax via corporate purchasing or TransitChek program?

I understand your point but save the lecture. I was asking because I work in parking--and yes my company has large corporate clients that pay for parking.

Are you aware of whether these corporate clients then turn around to their employees and charge them a lower, subsidised cost or is that not information often communicated back to your company?

From my understanding, the mentality of several suburban companies moving to the waterfront - *ahem* Vertex *cough cough* - is still very suburban and has caused a quiet and sustained kerfuffle with the city who is trying to manage expectations about how much parking they're willing to authorise for new development and road capacity.

Are you aware of whether these corporate clients then turn around to their employees and charge them a lower, subsidised cost or is that not information often communicated back to your company?

Yes I understand that quite well. We have a few clients set up like that and their employees pay in the area of $5-$7/day. Much cheaper than the $25 daily rate.

Anyways, I wasn't arguing for more parking I was just asking a question.

BTW from what I hear Converse has leased parking spaces in the north end garage.

From my understanding, the mentality of several suburban companies moving to the waterfront - *ahem* Vertex *cough cough* - is still very suburban and has caused a quiet and sustained kerfuffle with the city who is trying to manage expectations about how much parking they're willing to authorise for new development and road capacity.

DigSci -- Vertex is moving from Cambridge in the remnants of the grimy old industrial part of East Cambridge that lived past the Kendall renewal -- hardly suburban

I will grant that like the Seaport Innovation District, East Cambridge was flush with lots of parking lots :)

Yes I understand that quite well. We have a few clients set up like that and their employees pay in the area of $5-$7/day. Much cheaper than the $25 daily rate.

Anyways, I wasn't arguing for more parking I was just asking a question.

BTW from what I hear Converse has leased parking spaces in the north end garage.

Ooops! I think my tone was misunderstood; I was actually asking flat-out whether or not these companies give away the parking, sell it to employees at heavy subsidy, or otherwise have them pay close to, but lower than, daily rate.

Sounds like the answer is subsidy, so on some level, their employers are effectively encouraging their workers to drive to and park downtown, even if the benefit is intended to accommodate/attract workers who live outside of the MBTA service area/live in areas with poor transit service.

Suffice it to say that it's nice that this development is going to take advantage of the existing unused parking capacity for those employees who choose to drive to work.

Yeah, It's very nice. Looks like the standalone structure on the back of the building against N Washington St is going to be a Converse Store. Not sure, but that's what it looked like when I stuck my head in there Saturday.

I'm really liking this building, the addition is handsome and adds to it. Really cool vibe, I'd love to work in it. Imagine in 7 years what this area is going to look like w/ the Merano, TD Garden and Nashua Street Towers, the adjacent hotel...I can't wait.

17225561796_e452ca7ff2_c.jpg

Killer Views of the Zakim from over here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gmack24/17225561796/

I still don't get the love for that bridge. Maybe I just hate Caltrava knock-offs?

Back