Mandarin Oriental | 776 Boylston St | Back Bay

Re: Mandarin Oriental

The units all seem very nice inside but for that kinda money I was hoping for something a bit more gaudy or exotic or just way out there

extremely high quality flooring seems to be the most prominent flourish...though was I correct in reading that to aquire the best flooring an additional upgrade was required?

still though they look very nice

I'm rather underwhelmed by the interior photos. For those asking prices and the development budget, the units are rather spartan and bland.

I'm rather underwhelmed by the interior photos. For those asking prices and the development budget, the units are rather spartan and bland.

I have to disagree. Those kitchens are ridiculously nice. There are a lot of "luxury" condos going up and their interiors are usually as flat and boring as possible. These are some of the nicest interiors I have seen in recent memory (for a brand new building).

There is not too much you can do with a kitchen.

Granite/marble counter top with undermount sink.
Granite/marble backsplash
Custom hardwood cabinets
Stainless steel 'professional' chef appliances.

You see those four things in any 'luxury' kitchen.

And 9 out 9.00001 of these buyers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a $5000 stove and $20000 stove if you took the name plates off.

Luxury home buyers today are a lot like audiophiles.

vanshnookenraggen & statler, I disagree for a few reasons:
-the hot water heat convectors in front of all the windows are cheaply above the floor and not recessed.
-the cabinet, door, frames, interior mullions, recessed lighting, bath hardware are standard cheap spec.
-most of the carpentry is sophomoric in detail and half the decorative trim is cheap paint grade.
-fireplaces are nothing special and in fact quite cheap.
-electrical outlets & layout look nothing special.
-cheap spec gypsum, couldn't they spur for quiet-rock?
-boring spec ceiling treatments, the alignment of access panels, air supply & return grates isn't geometrically clean.
-kitchens are cheaper than they look other than counters and appliances, look at the toe-kicks they don't have drains/vents/heaters/anything super special that isn't standard spec, lack of under-counter lighting is a glaring omission.
-The the size and coursing of the tile in the kitchens and baths is standard. Mo long seamless walls or counter to wall surfaces. They used expensive tile as if it was standard cheap tile.
-toilets, bidets, the showers, etc aren't anything special compared to some of grohe and duravit's offerings.
-floors may be nice wood in some units, but they are boring fields, nothing ornate or intricate.

1880s-1920s buildings in the city come off as being far more elegant, with the same materials but better articulated, at a lower price point to these units to boot!

I hear the DNA Lofts are a lot better than what you can get at the Mandarin Oriental.

You can pick this apart all you want but I've seen so much "luxury" that is pure
crap that this is a breath of fresh air. Is it palatial? Maybe not, but it is still one of the nicest new-construction apartments I've seen in a long while.

You can pick this apart all you want but I've seen so much "luxury" that is pure
crap that this is a breath of fresh air. Is it palatial? Maybe not, but it is still one of the nicest new-construction apartments I've seen in a long while.

How do you get to be one of the lucky bastards who only pays $2000 a month for these digs?

How do you get to be one of the lucky bastards who only pays $2000 a month for these digs?

More like $2000 every five days.

$2000 a month gets you a studio at Archstone. At least the hookers and drugs are closer, I suppose.

Have legs like peanut butter and friends in politics or fill out some government paperwork to get into a (usually rigged, hey 'affordable' here is Charles B. Rangel's 'rent control' in NYC) lottery.

It's been extremely well marketed. The interior designers and decorators have a lot to cover up, and that's all the more I'll say about this project.

More like $2000 every five days.

$2000 a month gets you a studio at Archstone. At least the hookers and drugs are closer, I suppose.

No, no. A portion of these super luxury billionaire apartments will be going for $2000 a month as affordable units. How do I get in on that?!

Has the mall extension and connection to Lord & Taylor opened yet?

It's been open for a while, at least a month.

Thanks. The Pru's online map still shows it as "Coming Soon" and doesn't have any store numbers there.

King Cookiecutter looks real swank on the inside....

Still overpriced though imo....

How did they ever calculate such price points for the condo units and hotel rooms?

If you can afford the high-end Mandarin suites you can afford the Burj Al-Arab and many other world famous gimmicky hotels....

In comparison that doesn't make sense to me 'in real terms'...

Last edited:

KMP, I don't think that's accurate. It's open today, but it wasn't open last week, as far as I know.

No stores inside but you can see the backside of one of the restaurants (Espalier, perhaps?). There's also access to a nice little park (in shadows from the Boylston apartment building, but what do you expect in the city, oh right, you expect no shadows).

I may be incorrect about it being open for a month(original timeline indicates such), but it was sure as hell open last Wednesday.

Back