Market Central (née Mass + Main) | 415 Mass Av | Cambridge

Re: Market* Central (née Mass + Main) *mostly residential | 415 Mass Av | Cambridge

In person it's pretty imposing, pictures dont do it justice

Re: Market* Central (née Mass + Main) *mostly residential | 415 Mass Av | Cambridge

Thats hilarious. I thought this would be MUCH taller. This isn't that tall at all. And what a fuss was made...

In general it's not that tall, but for where it is, it's pretty strikingly taller than anything around it. Literally next door there is a little one story stand-alone McDonalds building that looks very out of place with a huge tower next to it.

AHorowitz,IG

Great photo find; thanks for posting. Building looks great from this distance (I haven't seen it from up close post-cladding).

I actually really like that. The facade is rather unassuming and the height is tall but moderate. A decent amount of variants off of this would look great and add lots of density.

Great photo find; thanks for posting. Building looks great from this distance (I haven't seen it from up close post-cladding).

is (it) the ~20 story mid-rise on the left side of the image??

Today:
ccw0Rjuh.jpg

I almost forgot that all the rest of the cladding will be blazing white. Seeing the finished brick from a post further up on this page makes me wish the entire building looked as classy as what we see there.

For those who would like to follow the project in real time, there is a 'construction cam' on this website: https://massandmain.com/

These are wonderful reinterpretations of the triple decker. I really appreciate the balance here.

These are wonderful reinterpretations of the triple decker. I really appreciate the balance here.

Sarcastic or not? (I'm hoping not...)

I'm not an architect, but I've often contemplated the design difficulty posed by East Cambridge being situated right next to uber-high-tech-Kendall. Integrating things at the boundary zones must be tough, because we're talking about two polar extremes here (East Camb. has some very rough-around-the-edges past-era eco-housing - no disrespect at all intended).

For me, I think this makes for effective boundary zone design. The subtle cornice, reasonable "siding" and harsh vertical edges connect with the past, while the tall corner windows give it a contemporary touch. Well done.

The lack of cornice on the tower bugs me.

Towers dont normally have cornices, why does it bug you?

Sarcastic or not? (I'm hoping not...)

I'm not an architect, but I've often contemplated the design difficulty posed by East Cambridge being situated right next to uber-high-tech-Kendall. Integrating things at the boundary zones must be tough, because we're talking about two polar extremes here (East Camb. has some very rough-around-the-edges past-era eco-housing - no disrespect at all intended).

For me, I think this makes for effective boundary zone design. The subtle cornice, reasonable "siding" and harsh vertical edges connect with the past, while the tall corner windows give it a contemporary touch. Well done.

Very much not sarcastic. This is good design. (pretty sure they fabricated the upper right window wrong. The vertical mullion does not line up with the windows below like the all do on the left.

Back