Marriott Moxy Hotel | 240 Tremont Street (Parcel P-7A) | Theater District

Nope. There is a new 7-11 just a half block or so outbound from the corner, which I grew up calling Crackhead Corner, and aptly so... that 7-11 converted to a Panera a long while back. Why that had such a profound impact on the formerly rampant drug dealing on that corner I'm not sure. The W construction definitely helped too as the spillover open air drug market permeated down to the corner of Stuart and Charles St. Ext. Also, the decline of streetwalking prostitutes coinciding with the rise of online sex ads played a significant role in the reduction of visible street crime around this whole area, although that change was already well underway before the demise of the corner 7-11... but probably hastened the cleanup of the remains of the criminal activity around here. Either way, that original 7-11 was very bad news indeed.

Also, as you add pricey residential units to the area (W, One Charles, Ava) you also get increased police presence that basically plays whack-a-mole with the prostitution and drug trade. I don't know where it moved to, but it definitely was moved out.

10x6ijt.png

From BLDUP:

New renderings released. Construction to start this spring.

Hot damn. It's amazing what happens when you leave SketchUp.

I hadn't realized this was actually starting to happen now. According to bldup:

Preparations are now underway at the Moxy Hotel site in Downtown Crossing to start construction of the upcoming 24-story Moxy Hotel tower. Construction is expected to start in earnest in Spring 2017.

Gee, that's swell. Say, shouldn't the Moxy have more pizzazz or be more swank at street level?

Gee, that's swell. Say, shouldn't the Moxy have more pizzazz or be more swank at street level?

What, and have it set a good example for the W hotel across the street?

This building is the line between lobbies and retail. I think itll work with just a lobby, but why not throw something in there? Stuart street is really coming into its own and that should be a priority imo. This appears from other renders to have 0 retail in the base. Whats going behind that wall, a theater?

This building is the line between lobbies and retail. I think itll work with just a lobby, but why not throw something in there? Stuart street is really coming into its own and that should be a priority imo. This appears from other renders to have 0 retail in the base. Whats going behind that wall, a theater?

There's literally no room for there to be retail unless they choose to put their lobby on the second floor. And yes, behind that wall is the Wilbur Theater.

There's literally no room for there to be retail unless they choose to put their lobby on the second floor. And yes, behind that wall is the Wilbur Theater.

Earlier versions tried to pull a little bit of retail to Floor 1. But current version is Lobby Floor 1; Retail (Restaurant / Lounge) Floors 2 and 3. The first floor floor plate is tiny.

Just an FYI...according to the city's Website, the full building permit for this building was issued on January 9. (Erection permit for a 23-story hotel with 340 rooms)

The developer appears ready to go.

Back