Massachusetts General Hospital Building For The Third Century

I love MGH and Longwood for having all the buildings that just melt into one giant complex. The problem with these pictures (or any pictures, not you KZ) is that individual shots don't show the full extent of the beast.

Not only is it hard to represent the whole complex, but this new one is utterly impossible to get a clean angle on; it's that packed in down there.

Wasnt sure where to put this

Making medical history
MGH plans museum for its birthday
By Jay Fitzgerald
Saturday, February 13, 2010 - Updated 3h ago
+ Recent Articles + Email + Bio Boston Herald General Economics Reporter
Jay Fitzgerald has been a journalist and blogger for years. He's now the general economics reporter for the Boston Herald.
E-mail Print (5) Comments Text size Share Buzz up!As small businesses strain under the weight of rising health-care costs, Massachusetts General Hospital is looking to build a new 8,000-square-foot museum to help celebrate its 200th anniversary next year.

MGH, part of the massive Partners HealthCare System, is taking preliminary steps toward hiring an interim museum director, meeting with neighborhood groups, briefing city officials and raising private funds for a museum that would house medical artifacts, archive documents and education facilities.

The final go-ahead hasn?t been given yet, as MGH tries to raise an unspecified amount of money for the Cambridge Street project.

But construction could start late this year and be finished by the end of 2011, when MGH plans to celebrate its bicentennial.

?We?ve been wanting to do this for a while,? said Robert Seger, a senior administration director at MGH?s department of urology and head of MGH?s ?history program.?

The project comes at a sensitive time within the health-care industry, as leaders in Washington and on Beacon Hill debate reforms and how to control rising medical costs. Earlier this week, Gov. Deval Patrick vowed to slap caps on medical expenses and insurance rates as a way to contain skyrocketing health-care costs.

But Seger said the hospital would ?absolutely not? be using patient revenue for the project. ?It wouldn?t be right,? he said, emphasizing MGH is trying to raise funds via charitable donations for the museum.

John Achatz, former chairman of the Beacon Hill Civic Association, said his group has long wanted MGH to build along Cambridge Street to give the north side more life. The museum would fill a vacant gap, he said.

The mostly glass-covered museum would be tucked near the new Yawkey Center, in front of a parking garage and wrapped around the red-brick, 19th-century Resident?s Physician House.

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines..._museum_for_its_birthday/srvc=home&position=3

Further to Van's point from way back when about replacing the Museum of Science with "starchitecture," it would be interesting to have an entire starchitecture complex of linked museums where the MoS stands today:

The MoS would be the main building, flanked to the south by a life sciences museum (in the direction of MGH), highlighting not only MGH but Beth Israel, Brigham & Women's, Children's, Mass Eye & Ear, and the other top-notch medical institutions as well as life sciences companies (Genzyme, ThermoFisher, Biogen, Boston Scientific, Inverness, etc.).

Flanking the MoS on the north (in the direction of MIT/Cambridge) would be a technology museum, highlighting (and in conjunction with) MIT and Harvard and local tech companies from Raytheon to EMC to Analog Devices to defunct pioneers like Wang, Lotus and Digital to revolving exhibitions in partnership with today's new tech companies like Akamai, A123, E Ink, Boston Dynamics, iRobot and others.

And I bet I know where to look for the money to start it up...

Yeah ... where?

The tech/life sciences companies. Of course, few companies today (or ever) are exactly gushing with money, but it would seem to be a more attractive proposition to an exec to donate money to a museum that lionizes your company as opposed to one that displays, e.g., contemporary art or "Boston history since 1956."

today,quick drive thru
101.jpg
102.jpg
103.jpg
104.jpg
this is a narrow street under an ovehang but then puts u back on Camb. st
105.jpg

Why don't they put their garages underground and build new facilities over them? I'm pretty sure they don't go underground at all, not even 1 level.

That garage is slated to be removed and the historic brick building in front of it relocated elsewhere on MGH's campus. There's only so much space in that area for MGH to juggle construction phasing on.

I hear Mass General has been named #1 Hospital by such-and-such. Finally passing John Hopkins.

Unfortunately I had to go to Mass General on Tuesday due to a family emergency...even though my mind was on other things, I couldn't help but be drawn to this construction. It really does look good. I was thinking about snapping a picture, but it wasn't an appropriate time. If I'm down there again, I'll be sure to do so.

This story got over looked but should greatly improve Cambridge St.:

MGH enters into ?agreement in principle? to purchase Bowdoin Square Gulf
December 23, 2010
By Dan Murphy

Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) has entered into ?an agreement in principle? to purchase the Bowdoin Square Gulf station at 239 Cambridge St., said John Messervy, director of capital and facility planning for Partners Healthcare System.

Messervy said gas station owner Jim Sauro approached the hospital less than a year ago with an offer to sell the business, which is adjacent to MGH?s main campus. ?The hospital can?t ignore opportunities to purchase property [abutting] the campus,? he said.

Messervy added that the hospital had not yet entered into a purchase-and-sale agreement with the business owner.

Bowdoin Square Gulf employees declined to comment.

http://beaconhilltimes.com/2010/12/...n-principle?-to-purchase-bowdoin-square-gulf/

Buying the gas station doesn't necessarily mean shutting it down immediately. It would make business sense for MGH to lease it out and keep it open until they're ready to tear it down and put up something else.

Lot size is a bit over 6,000 sq ft.

If the interest in selling was dictated by a forthcoming need to replace the underground tanks, then the station may close sooner rather than later.

(There's also a 239 Cambridge St. in Allston, which again only underscores how confusing Boston can be with duplicate street names in different parts of the city. Must drive the map programmers at Google and similar sites nuts.)

Lot size is a bit over 6,000 sq ft.

If the interest in selling was dictated by a forthcoming need to replace the underground tanks, then the station may close sooner rather than later.

(There's also a 239 Cambridge St. in Allston, which again only underscores how confusing Boston can be with duplicate street names in different parts of the city. Must drive the map programmers at Google and similar sites nuts.)

Isn't there like 6 Washington Streets?

That lot is the right size to relocate MGH's small historic brick structure directly across the street onto it. Free up the entire area from frontage on Cambridge Street to the back of the concrete garage for a new building.

My guess is that the garage will also go with any new large-scale building project.

Back