Massachusetts General Hospital Building For The Third Century

I would imagine it is VERY difficult to either build over a gas station or put one on the curbside in the US. Probably takes alot of resources to get it through.

This one was actually demolished; i.e, the station that was on the site before they built the condo behind it, and then rebuilt the station, sort of. The station roof is a terrace for the condo with plants and stuff. There is a fire station diagonally across the street in the next block.

The gunmetal silver on the condo facade is zinc.
http://www.residentialarchitect.com/architects/multifamily-grand.aspx

The gas station discussion is fun but probably should be split off into a new thread.

until then.......

Boston has weird, anomalous gas stations as well, such as the (now defunct) station at Hanover and Commercial Streets. Check it, the pump is maybe 5' from the curb.

These other countries I think have the same standards as the US, look outside of the medieval core of any royal city and you see the same flat, broad station with dozens of pumps. I highly doubt anyone is building new curbside pumps, but the ones that are extant are probably very valuable. Same thing here, you could never put in new a gas station like the one above, but there does seem to be some grandfathering in effect for many regulations.

Also out of curiosity I went into streetview and retraced my flaneuring steps and found the very Parisian pumps I remember..... not bad 8 years after the fact

Are the gas tanks always on the right side in Europe? Otherwise, all these curbside places seem the shaft left-side-tanks.

The master plan calls for removing the garages.

monday
043-2.jpg

hey Boston02124, you can upload bigger pictures to Photobucket now, up to 2048x1536, check your upload options!

thanks(again :))I'll try it with some of the skinny skyline shots

Does this photo mean they have already demolished the gas station?

Alright, tour time.

I'd never been here before, so my initial reaction is...wtf are they doing with the streets?

They're adding more garage entrances to a tiny little street that moves 1t mph because nobody can get onto storrow?

Major fail. They should have put the garage entrances elsewhere and made this a pedestrian (+emergency access) only street.

Aren't hospital visits usually time sensitive? I don't understand how all the traffic doesn't kill people...literally.

IMG_8713.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

IMG_8715.jpg

IMG_8716.jpg

IMG_8717.jpg

IMG_8718.jpg

Going nowhere fast. Gas exhaust for everyone!

IMG_8719.jpg

IMG_8720.jpg

IMG_8721.jpg

IMG_8722.jpg

IMG_8723.jpg

IMG_8724.jpg

IMG_8725.jpg

IMG_8727.jpg

IMG_8729.jpg

IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8732.jpg

The traffic at Mass General can be pretty bad. But when the Lunder Building opens ambulances will have a covered area to pick up and drop off patients for the first time. They will enter the Lunder building at one end, drop off patients at the emergency room, then exit onto that small street where you took the photo. The Lunder building does not have parking but there is a large dock for receiving on the other side. Even that small glass bridge connecting the Yawkey building to the Lunder building (and the main hospital) will make a huge impact. Right now very sick patients who need to get from Yawkey to the main hospital have to be transported outside via wheelchair or in worse cases by ambulance. The Fruit Street and Parkman garages are supposed to be demolished in the future and replaced by buildings with underground parking. But that is not going to happen soon. You also took a photo of the new MGH museum that is being constructed.

I've seen bad traffic at MGH but not THAT bad! What time were you there?

Seriously, traffic is very sucky pretty often... but this is just insane, I've never seen anything like this. I can only think that it appears worse than it really was.

For all of you who like "density" this should make you very happy.

I've seen bad traffic at MGH but not THAT bad! What time were you there?

Seriously, traffic is very sucky pretty often... but this is just insane, I've never seen anything like this. I can only think that it appears worse than it really was.

I was actually going to say the traffic was worse than it appears. It wasnt moving at all.

4pm on Wednesday. On the longfellow thread you can see other traffic pictures, taken maybe 20 minutes earlier. The eye and ear thread pictures were taken between the two.

EDIT:

I just noticed my camera clock was wrong. Pictures were taken at 2:45pm.

Last edited:
For all of you who like "density" this should make you very happy.

Assuming you are referring to the traffic...

People who like density also happen to very vocal advocates for increased and more efficient mass transit for this very reason.

The whole hospital will look a whole lot better once this building is done and the remodel the White Building.

Back