Massachusetts General Hospital Building For The Third Century

lolz

http://www.northjersey.com/news/121330164_Two_arrested_for_stealing_copper_siding_from_old_hospital_center.html

Police arrested two Ringwood residents after they were allegedly found stealing copper siding from the abandoned Essex County Hospital Center in Cedar Grove on Wednesday, May 4.

John Viglione, 52, was charged with theft of immovable property, conspiracy and resisting arrest at the site of the decrepit facility. His accomplice, Susan Baker, 46, was arrested hours later for theft of immovable property, conspiracy and hindering apprehension.

Cedar Grove police Officer Edward Colon was on patrol at 125 Fairview Ave. at 10:30 p.m. on Wednesday when he heard the sound of people removing copper siding from the roof of Building 5, according to Essex County Sheriff Armando Fontoura.

As Colon approached to investigate, the noise stopped but the officer spotted an aluminum ladder propped up against the side of the building, police said.

Why is there a separate theft category for 'immovable objects' and shouldn't an immovable object be theft-proof by definition?

guess it's just like aggrivated a&b or aggrivated rape...it was so audacious an act that to merely call it theft would minimize the crime

Why is there a separate theft category for 'immovable objects' and shouldn't an immovable object be theft-proof by definition?

I think that there need to be levels of theft of immovable objects:

1) minor theft of immovable objects -- theft of copper siding, roof flashing, gutters or theft of wiring and plumbng in an abandoned building -- fairly simple to pull off
2) intermediate theft of immovable objects -- theft of wiring and plumbing in a non-abandoned building
3) capital theft of immovable objects -- theft of structural steel, foundation rebar or support pilings under a non-abandoned building -- you need to hire a Las Vegas magician

4) Dastardly theft of immoval objects -- placing an entire structure on a flatbed truck and haulin' ass out of there.

7546858988_bf93e5f8c9_b.jpg

7546864508_7ab2a1942c_b.jpg

7546851382_37782844b1_b.jpg

7546855164_1a7d864950_b.jpg

7546861764_7a031d273f_b.jpg

7546867516_734dd7ff11_b.jpg

7546847724_7991c1a94c_b.jpg

^ Love me some glass lamellas on the Lunder Building!! (lamellae?)

Really? The blank wall, trellis, and single half-assed Liberty Wharf style bay window get a shrug out of me.

Lunder is really well done. In a lot of ways, it's a a supersized version of DFCI's Yawkey Center, though a bit more antiseptic.

Up close, the Museum looks cheap and thoughtless. It will age poorly.

The Lunder Building looks really cool.

While I'm so-so on the museum individually, I think it's a cool addition to the area. I think it fits well in the environment...however some of that attractiveness may be a result the skill of KZ!

I disagree. I thought the copper looked wonderful up close. You can see the hand work that went into it. It wasn't just pre-cut squares slapped onto the side of the building as cheaply as possible.

Of course my impression may have been biased by Campbell's review, which I read before ever seeing the building up close.

Being the architect of record for the Media Lab definitely changed LWA's design approach. You can clearly see how the Media Lab influenced the approach for this building and almost all of their new works. A friend at the office has said that pre-Media Lab LWA is very different than the post-Media Lab LWA that exists now.

I'd call this building their first experiment based off this freer, expressive architecture. It's pretty much the perfect situation to test this kind of prototype. The program is straight-forward and the building is small.

Being the architect of record for the Media Lab definitely changed LWA's design approach. You can clearly see how the Media Lab influenced the approach for this building and almost all of their new works. A friend at the office has said that pre-Media Lab LWA is very different than the post-Media Lab LWA that exists now.

I'd call this building their first experiment based off this freer, expressive architecture. It's pretty much the perfect situation to test this kind of prototype. The program is straight-forward and the building is small.

They should go real green -- grow some wisteria or some such mega vine on the trellis or aerial pergola

Lunder is really well done. In a lot of ways, it's a a supersized version of DFCI's Yawkey Center, though a bit more antiseptic.

I wouldn't be quite so harsh in judging the museum, but otherwise I agree. I went there expecting to lavish tons of photos on the museum while hating the Lunder, but more like the opposite occurred. I took just three shots of the museum and found that, like you pointed out, there was nothing worth showing by zooming in and getting close-ups, hence the reason why I only shared two master shots of it.

But the Lunder proved to be a pleasant little surprise, which as we recently discussed elsewhere has been the story with a lot of hospital projects lately.

MGH has been named the top hospital in the country, ousting Johns Hopkins.

Back