MassDOT Pike Parcels 12 - 15 | Boylston St. and Mass. Ave | Back Bay

Whigh, just wanted to say that was probably one of your best posts ever. Your answers were concise & on topic and links were used for additional info instead of copy & paste dumps. Thanks for your insight here. The photos are excellent.

Last photo looks to be take from the old Boylston Street bridge looking west. The crossing in the foreground is the Mass. Ave. surface station, half of which was demolished for the Pike and the remainder of which is now an electrical substation if I remember correctly. 360 Newbury is the building on the right with the arrow pointing to it. Similar view today. More on Massachusetts Station.

Definitely prefer the BRG proposal.

Did anyone else notice the One Canal render in the Trinity proposal? It makes it look rather bland and oppressive.

Whigh, just wanted to say that was probably one of your best posts ever. Your answers were concise & on topic and links were used for additional info instead of copy & paste dumps. Thanks for your insight here. The photos are excellent.

Dogs rule again!

Does a building being constructed on state-owned air rights still have to go through BRA approval?

Does a building being constructed on state-owned air rights still have to go through BRA approval?

No the BRA has no control over state-owned land -- although I'm sure there is some informal consultation between the respective development staffs

MassDOT has agreed that the Air Rights Parcels will be subject to Boston zoning. See, for example, the RFP for Parcel 13 which on page 24 provides:
The development of Parcel 13 will be subject to zoning and all other applicable local development controls.

1. The Memorandum of Understanding with City of Boston. A Memorandum of Understanding (“MOU”) between the City of Boston and MassDOT (as successor entity to the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority) governing air rights development was entered into as of June 1, 1997. The MOU is attached as Appendix A. Respondents are advised to carefully review the MOU. The Proposals will be evaluated by MassDOT and MBTA, with input from the City and CAC. Please note that the review requirements in Section 3 of the MOU have been superseded by subsequent legislation, which subjects all development on MassDOT air rights developments in Boston to zoning and all other applicable local regulation.

2. Zoning. Respondents should have a thorough knowledge of the Boston Zoning Code as well as the development process in the City of Boston. It is anticipated that the BRA will require the Selected Developer to submit the Air Rights project to City of Boston zoning review and approval. The Parcel is subject to zoning pursuant to Chapter 302 of the Acts of 2010 despite the fact that the Turnpike air rights portion does not lie within a current zoning district. The BRA has stated that it expects zoning and related development controls to be established through a Planned Development Area (“PDA”) for the entirety of Parcel 13. It is anticipated that the Selected Developer would work with the BRA and its designated community review body in this process. At present, the land and Green Line air rights portions of the project site are located in the B-8-120a district. This is a small, unique zone extending between Massachusetts Avenue and Fairfield Street covering only the southern half of these three blocks and recognizing the transitional nature of this area between the historic Back Bay buildings and the more modern development on the south side of Boylston Street. Housing and commercial uses are permitted. This district allows an FAR of 8.0 and building heights up to 120 feet, which is roughly the height of the 360 Newbury Street building. With respect to parking, Section 23-6 of the Boston Zoning Code states that, “When the maximum floor area ratio specified in Table B of Section 13-1 for a lot is 8.0 or 10.0, off-street parking facilities are not required for such lot.” The property is also located in a Groundwater Conservation Overlay District, and Restricted Parking district.

3. Article 80 Review. It is anticipated that any development project proposed for Parcel 13 will undergo large project review by the BRA in accordance with Article 80 of the Zoning Code. As a general matter, Article 80 Review involves a comprehensive public review of a large project at the schematic design stage to evaluate its impacts and determine appropriate measures to mitigate those impacts. The Selected Developer will initiate Article 80 review by filing a Letter of Intent. The Selected Developer will then coordinate with the BRA and file a Project Notification Form describing the major elements of the proposed development project. Article 80 Review is intended to facilitate input from appropriate City agencies and the community relative to the proposed project’s impact on the neighborhood and the City as a whole. The Article 80 process enables coordinated review of the proposed project by various City agencies, including the Boston Civic Design Commission, Boston Landmarks Commission, the Back Bay Architectural Commission, Boston Transportation Department, and the Boston Parks Commission, among others. It is anticipated that the BRA will initiate a community review process to assist with its review of the selected Proposal. The Selected Developer will be responsible for participation in such community advisory process established by the City.

Ughh that thing is hideous. I questioned why they picked That proposal and then I looked at their other projects and its everything built in boston in the last 15 years

The north (rear) elevation is SO MUCH nicer than what you'll see from Boylston. The monotony is deadening.

Third proposal:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/11/10/third-developer-submits-bid-for-back-bay-site-over-mass-turnpike/ovc2gAuy6hrJko0TUsQ9OK/story.html

parcel13.jpg

the curve building is alright.... but gotta say this one was far more world class, and the kind of flashy, modern, fun and eye catching corner this stern old city desperately needs... instead we're getting a fancy version of a big brick wall.

the curve building is alright.... but gotta say this one was far more world class, and the kind of flashy, modern, fun and eye catching corner this stern old city desperately needs... instead we're getting a fancy version of a big brick wall.

I don't hate this one, but I liked Peebles better. The glass and steel didn't speak to its surroundings, didn't fill the 3D space (leaving the ugly wall of 360 exposed in the process) and I'm pretty sure that retail atrium would have turned out to be a disappointment.

Building an urban sense on that corner is very much about density and heft to cover the negative space of the Turnpike. Peebles did that the best.

Alvar Aalto would be pleased... I kind of am too.

Would love to see this built. No Boylston Square still hurts.

Nobodies ever happy here, but I really liked this proposal and am happy it got selected.

I think the selected proposal was by far the best from an urban design sense and it will help knit Boylston St together. It also seemed to be the most interesting architecture of the 3, I'm surprised at the negative reaction here.
The development is starting from a good spot, the key to success will be to deliver on the potential.

Peebles looks like a giant brown monolith with zero accentuating details other than a curve which looks like its going to make available a desolate plaza serving little purpose in the middle of the block

The materials look decent; terracotta? If they use the right stuff it will be a great addition. Also (and this might just be because of the zoning/site constraints) it does a good job of balancing the mid sized buildings to the east with the smaller scale to the west.

Peebles looks like a giant brown monolith with zero accentuating details other than a curve which looks like its going to make available a desolate plaza serving little purpose in the middle of the block

If you look into the proposal, both the hotel and the T station open onto that plaza

Back