MassDOT Pike Parcels 12 - 15 | Boylston St. and Mass. Ave | Back Bay

Think of the children! Think of the shadows on the Common at 2 AM! [/Clutch Pearls]

I know this is meant as a joke, but the taller we build this tower the more we will increase the Earth's moment of inertia. A higher moment of inertia leads to a slower rotation speed, longer days, and thus more time for the shadows to linger on the Boston Common.

That means every building on the planet causes shadows on the common to last longer and should therefore be promptly destroyed.

No one's complained about these projects at all, as far as I know.

Keep blowing your horns, tho'. It's becoming on you.

Would someone have the balls to propose a new tallest already? Jesus Christ

I love the deception. 1 Dalton is 755' and this is easily 610'+. Whatever it takes.

This also opens up Dalton Garage to be 900'+ You really can't complain when the lot is surrounded by 3 towers over 600'. Food for thought...

Would someone have the balls to propose a new tallest already? Jesus Christ

When developers propose towers in San Francisco city officials ask can you go higher.Here the NIMBYS run the whole effing city and any proposal is too high.So frustrating.

That is not true at all many buildings in SF are shortened because of shadows on Union Square or NIMBY push back. SF isn't exactly a model city on tall buildings. Sometimes city councilors around Boston ask about going taller too but it often doesn't happen just the same as in SF both cities are severely hampered by NIMBY backlash to building.

Speaking of SF and tall buildings, a friend sent me this from his place in Oakland

From the long project pnf, going by pixels, the images render a height of 637' to the tip. (i added it to the image).

There is also this published image from a few of the publicity articles, suggesting a lower height to the top; ~626'.... therefore, i would conclude the pinnacle height of the mechanical screen would fall somewhere between 625' and 637'. :)

It would appear Dalton Garage is off the table for the forseeable future. Can't say for all eternity, but it's a critically important asset now. If i heard correctly at the public meeting on December 20th (i really need to start taking notes), it's being included as part of the permanent parking for Parcels 12 & 15. i'll consider 'it' drastically fortuitous if we get the decking and the 2 towers at parcel 15 done. Parcel 12 will be the coup de grâce.

Last edited:
It would appear Dalton Garage is off the table for the forseeable future. Can't say for all eternity, but it's a critically important asset now. If i heard correctly at the public meeting on December 20th (i really need to start taking notes), it's being included as part of the permanent parking for Parcels 12 & 15. i'll consider 'it' drastically fortuitous if we get the decking and the 2 towers at parcel 15 done. Parcel 12 will be the coup de grâce.
The Dalton Garage could be (unfortunately) replaced in kind in whatever new development gets put there. I'd rather they redevelop the site with a building & podium garage rather than just let the garage stay as is.

The Dalton Garage could be (unfortunately) replaced in kind in whatever new development gets put there. I'd rather they redevelop the site with a building & podium garage rather than just let the garage stay as is.

But the challenge is the transition period, when the old garage is torn down, but the new garage is not available yet. Pretty disruptive.

Pretty sure the Pru garage is still under capacity.

That is correct. We used to get notices at work whenever there was an event, otherwise the garage has plenty of spots.

As mentioned above, I wouldn't be too surprised if a developer came in and built another garage with a tower on top. Dalton St could become a mini Park Ave :rolleyes:.

Pretty sure the Pru garage is still under capacity.

My memory from living in the area (a while ago) is that the capacity issue was very seasonal.

All the garages in that area tended to max out in the winter, but have more space available in the spring, summer, fall. (People opting to move their cars indoors, away from on-street parking for the snow season.) But that could have changed.

So in short, your argument is that a temporary inconvenience should derail a permanent improvement?

I would argue a temporary problem (for at least a year or so) for tens of thousands of drivers should derail improvement for one (the developer), yes.

I would argue a temporary problem (for at least a year or so) for tens of thousands of drivers should derail improvement for one (the developer), yes.

Do you honestly believe that the developer is the only person that benefits when housing and retail space is built in a city?

Do you also believe that medicine only benefits doctors and food only benefits farmers?

That's like saying they shouldn't replace the Charlestown bridge bc it's going to create traffic and backups...maybe try the train. I don't really see how this would impact the pike at rush hour anyway.

People's reliance on cars and not understanding how development benefits many is besides the real point of the misguided opposition to the projects made on previous pages.

Why would "decking" over the pike cause any significant delays or issues with the pike traffic? The deck is over the pike. Who's working below it during the 24-36 months of construction. The decking can be mostly pre-fabbed off site and then raised in large sections to minimize impacts on the pike. Doing this in overnight shifts with big crews to get er' done quick could mean basically no rush hour impacts at all throughout construction.

We just saw this over on Albany street for BMC expansion going on. Lifted the bridge into place in one night. The big issue being that ambulance traffic could not be impacted one iota. They can pull that off, why not this? I consider Pike Traffic quite a bit lower on my concerns list than ambulances to a major hospital of course.

Why would "decking" over the pike cause any significant delays or issues with the pike traffic? The deck is over the pike. Who's working below it during the 24-36 months of construction. The decking can be mostly pre-fabbed off site and then raised in large sections to minimize impacts on the pike. Doing this in overnight shifts with big crews to get er' done quick could mean basically no rush hour impacts at all throughout construction.

I disagree. I support the air rights development, but fully expect the Pike to be seriously disrupted by the construction. It's disingenuous to say that this will be quick & low impact. They've got to install the columns, secure the deck, arrange the utilities, etc. It's not going to be pretty or fun, but the end result will make it worth it.

DD,

with the piles already in, won't they just be dropping the chords or fully assembled trusses onto the columns during the late hours for minimal disruption?

DD,

with the piles already in, won't they just be dropping the chords or fully assembled trusses onto the columns during the late hours for minimal disruption?

I dug through the PNF to see if it talked about the existing structure & construction sequence (notably in Chapter 5), but it's too vague and just reiterates that coordination with MassDOT will be needed.

And by seriously disrupted, I'm not saying it's for the whole 36 months.

Back