MassDOT Rail: Springfield Hub (East-West, NNERI, Berkshires, CT-Valley-VT-Quebec)

I'd like to see daily Boston to Greenfield trains instituted sooner. Greenfield is an economically depressed area, a lovely town but a lot of homeless people, and the trains would give it a much needed shot in the arm. Up until the 1970s, Greenfield had a lot of good paying jobs at mills and factories, but of course they are long gone.
So far they're only studying the Northern Tier/Fitchburg Line alignment for that, which is a billion-dollar born loser that definitely won't happen by 2045. The L-shaped alignment BOS-SPG-GFD would be plug-and-play, but they haven't pivoted to that yet.

MassDOT released the full Northern Tier Passenger Rail Study a couple of days ago, and is accepting comment through the 27th. Predictably, the study notes that "the benefit-cost analysis indicates that the benefits may not offset the capital costs required for implementation."

Ultimately recommended more data gathering, more local planning efforts, and alternate strategies - including possible express MBTA CR trains from Fitchburg, since unsurprisingly that's by far the highest ridership segment studied. It also recommends exploring a scheduled motor coach service between the Northern Tier Cities, and evidently MassDOT recently awarded a grant jointly to PVTA/FRTA/BRTA to refurb 7 buses and operate something called the "413 Region CRIB" (Commuter and Regionally Interconnected Bus Network) - clearly named by committee, the following blurb is all I could find on it.
1000035960.jpg

NGL, sounds like a decent plan - if the routing makes more sense as they implement it.

Most interestingly the second to last line in the conclusion reads "The connection between Greenfield, Springfield, and Boston is in the implementation stages and could be a mechanism to achieve increased west-east mobility." If that implies that they think they should consider a Z shaped route, as part of Compass Rail - good.

1000035958.jpg
1000035953.jpg

Ultimately recommended more data gathering, more local planning efforts, and alternate strategies - including possible express MBTA CR trains from Fitchburg, since unsurprisingly that's by far the highest ridership segment studied.
Express trains on the Fitchburg Line would be great.

It also recommends exploring a scheduled motor coach service between the Northern Tier Cities, and evidently MassDOT recently awarded a grant jointly to PVTA/FRTA/BRTA to refurb 7 buses and operate something called the "413 Region CRIB" (Commuter and Regionally Interconnected Bus Network) - clearly named by committee, the following blurb is all I could find on it.
View attachment 54034
NGL, sounds like a decent plan - if the routing makes more sense as they implement it.

This honestly sounds great, and could be extended to Fitchburg if desired. The travel times would likely be equal to or slightly faster than the low investment Northern Tier Alt, and would be a much cheaper proof of concept.

The lack of intermediate stops in the alternatives is baffling. Four of the six have no stops between Greenfield and Fitchburg, even though Gardner and Athol+Orange combined are both larger than Greenfield. Throwing down mini-high platforms for flag stops in most/all of Charlemont, Shelburne Falls, Millers Falls, Erving, Orange, and Baldwinville, plus real stations in Athol and Gardner, would make this a vastly most useful service. Rail hits every one of those downtowns - make use of it! Otherwise, there's no benefit to spending the money on infrastructure versus just running buses.

Idk if it has been discussed before but a routing via Lowell branching at Ayer with an intermediate stop in Westford/Chelmsford would be interesting. Express from Lowell to North station is ~35min, add on ~20min from Ayer to Lowell (40mph average speed) and you get a 1:23 trip from Wachusett to North Station via Lowell. Trip time from Wachusett to Lowell would be ~50min making that a viable commuting routing between those northern cities.

MassDOT released the full Northern Tier Passenger Rail Study a couple of days ago, and is accepting comment through the 27th. Predictably, the study notes that "the benefit-cost analysis indicates that the benefits may not offset the capital costs required for implementation."

Ultimately recommended more data gathering, more local planning efforts, and alternate strategies - including possible express MBTA CR trains from Fitchburg, since unsurprisingly that's by far the highest ridership segment studied. It also recommends exploring a scheduled motor coach service between the Northern Tier Cities, and evidently MassDOT recently awarded a grant jointly to PVTA/FRTA/BRTA to refurb 7 buses and operate something called the "413 Region CRIB" (Commuter and Regionally Interconnected Bus Network) - clearly named by committee, the following blurb is all I could find on it.
View attachment 54034
Given that this corridor/region appears to have near-zero road delays even at rush hour, the very modest ridership projections, and the twisty nature of the rail line, reading this over....this project to me feels kind of like one of the "why are we not starting with a bus" projects.

Route 2 corridor, limited stop bus service Fitchburg-North Adams just like the rail proposal.

You need a few million dollars instead of a billion and you can see if there's ridership for this service or not.

If people ride the thing, great, you've made a vastly stronger case for rail investment.

If they don't, you've spent a few % of the cost of the rail project.

Idk if it has been discussed before but a routing via Lowell branching at Ayer with an intermediate stop in Westford/Chelmsford would be interesting. Express from Lowell to North station is ~35min, add on ~20min from Ayer to Lowell (40mph average speed) and you get a 1:23 trip from Wachusett to North Station via Lowell. Trip time from Wachusett to Lowell would be ~50min making that a viable commuting routing between those northern cities.
The following graphics were from the first community meeting, and not included in the final report, but they do a decent job of illustrating where folks want to go. The Central Segment, which includes Leominster, Fitchburg and Wachusett, notably doesn't have a particularly strong demand for Chelmsford/Lowell for some reason. While I believe these charts are somewhat flawed in including all travel, hence their strong lean to local trips, it's still decent data for planning purposes.
1000035978.jpg

The lack of intermediate stops in the alternatives is baffling. Four of the six have no stops between Greenfield and Fitchburg, even though Gardner and Athol+Orange combined are both larger than Greenfield. Throwing down mini-high platforms for flag stops in most/all of Charlemont, Shelburne Falls, Millers Falls, Erving, Orange, and Baldwinville, plus real stations in Athol and Gardner, would make this a vastly most useful service. Rail hits every one of those downtowns - make use of it! Otherwise, there's no benefit to spending the money on infrastructure versus just running buses.
I mean, there's a reason Alt 4, which had the most stops was preferred by most of the commenters. That said, of your list that we're still omitted, Orange is admittedly the most obvious miss, but the rest of those towns have a population of <2k each. I'm not sure you could justify the cost of any of those station stops when MAAB would tell you to put in a full-high. I'd like to see them launch this as a bus service first - much as the rail passes through those downtowns, so too does Rt 2. The incremental cost of stopping at those towns would be functionally nil. That would allow them to draw real-world trip data to see how that impacts ridership before they build the train, if at all, but I'm fairly sure that Coach service is the way forward here.

While I'm at it, the other maps from this presentation I think do a good job of illustrating what I think was the single biggest flaw in this proposal - travel demand on this corridor isn't East-West oriented, it's South oriented. Greenfield would be better served by the Valley Flyer than this Northern tier route, and indeed it proved a successful state supported Amtrak services, even launched as it was in the middle of the pandemic. The Berkshire flyer is a little more in the air, but I attribute that to its alignment of Pittsfield to Albany. That 413 Region CRIB actually seems more likely to fulfill regional travel needs.
1000035976.jpg

1000035980.jpg

Last edited:
413 CRIB (love the name) plus Z-shaped rail FTW, love it.
Throwing down mini-high platforms for flag stops in most/all of Charlemont, Shelburne Falls, Millers Falls, Erving, Orange, and Baldwinville, plus real stations in Athol and Gardner, would make this a vastly most useful service. Rail hits every one of those downtowns - make use of it!
This is me diverging a bit off-topic, but this hits on an idea that I've had for a while that we might call "Flyers for All": creating an economic investment in small/rural communities by subsidizing rail (or bus) service throughout the year to provide affordable "weekend getaways" for city residents (providing a car-free alternative). Take a small downtown like Shelburne Falls: walkable, with small inns/BnB's, cafes and a few restaurants, sitting along a beautiful river, and walking trails a stone's throw away (walking distance in some cases, but also easily covered by a single van's shuttle service). It would be easy to do a pleasant weekend getaway, with one's S.O. or family or a group of friends.

Shelburne Falls is relatively well-known, but a small place like Baldwinville could also do this -- even a single bed-and-breakfast, in walking distance of the Ware River Rail Trail and (what looks like) the walking path around Depot Pond, could provide an infusion of weekend foot traffic in the small downtown, if fed by a reliable (and affordable) train service.

I see mutual benefits: small towns get more consumer dollars flowing through them and an opportunity to grow a tourism industry based on the inherent natural beauty of the rural landscape, and cities get new access to quiet greenspaces that don't break the bank. (And by using a train [or bus], the "tourism hub" gets spread out across a linear corridor, preventing any one town from becoming the sole destination with raised prices among increased demand.)
The following graphics were from the first community meeting, and not included in the final report, but they do a decent job of illustrating where folks want to go. The Central Segment, which includes Leominster, Fitchburg and Wachusett, notably doesn't have a particularly strong demand for Chelmsford/Lowell for some reason. While I believe these charts are somewhat flawed in including all travel, hence their strong lean to local trips, it's still decent data for planning purposes.
1000035978.jpg
I mean, Lowell and Chelmsford are the same shade of blue as Boston and Waltham. If demand to Boston is sufficient for the commuter rail, then that suggests the same might be true for Lowell?

Well, okay, looking at the On The Map data, the demand to Lowell is clearly lower:
1723821403101.png

Which ties back to this:
While I'm at it, the other maps from this presentation I think do a good job of illustrating what I think was the single biggest flaw in this proposal - travel demand on this corridor isn't East-West oriented, it's South oriented. Greenfield would be better served by the Valley Flyer than this Northern tier route, and indeed it proved a successful state supported Amtrak services, even launched as it was in the middle of the pandemic. The Berkshire flyer is a little more in the air, but I attribute that to its alignment of Pittsfield to Albany. That 413 Region CRIB actually seems more likely to fulfill regional travel needs.
Right, and this extends to the Central Mass segment as well; the study's Central Segment has as many residents who work in Worcester as in Boston proper. If you add in Cambridge alongside Boston, those combined exceed all destinations except Leominster; but, in turn Worcester plus Marlboro combined are neck-and-neck. All of which is why I gamed out a Gardner <> Worcester x Worcester <> Boston service plan a couple of years ago.

That is incredibly interesting the lack of travel to Lowell and the surrounding area from the North Central region considering the jobs in medical care and the 2 universities (including Merrimack) plus community colleges, especially with the commute on 495 being in reverse of Boston traffic flow.
While I'm at it, the other maps from this presentation I think do a good job of illustrating what I think was the single biggest flaw in this proposal - travel demand on this corridor isn't East-West oriented, it's South oriented. Greenfield would be better served by the Valley Flyer than this Northern tier route, and indeed it proved a successful state supported Amtrak services, even launched as it was in the middle of the pandemic.
Holyoke went from the least used Amtrak station in the state to doubling its annual ridership and surpassing Framingham. I'd image a Shore Line East level of service between Springfield and Greenfield would at the minimum outperform SLE buy at least double.

Starting with bus service could make sense because it's so much cheaper. But just a couple of points in favor of just starting with rail:
  • Even in the cheapest rail option in that study, the time from Greenfield to Boston would be competitive with driving (2:35 by rail versus an average 2:10 for driving)
  • It would add express trains in from Fitchburg, which would be great. MBTA could just do that itself, but then why not do it while also expanding our passenger rail network?
  • A bus on steep grades and hairpin turns on Route 2 in the Berkshires sounds kind of miserable. As winding as the train tracks are, I would expect a train is far more comfortable.
  • I wanna ride through the Hoosac Tunnel!

Starting with bus service could make sense because it's so much cheaper. But just a couple of points in favor of just starting with rail:
  • Even in the cheapest rail option in that study, the time from Greenfield to Boston would be competitive with driving (2:35 by rail versus an average 2:10 for driving)
  • It would add express trains in from Fitchburg, which would be great. MBTA could just do that itself, but then why not do it while also expanding our passenger rail network?
  • A bus on steep grades and hairpin turns on Route 2 in the Berkshires sounds kind of miserable. As winding as the train tracks are, I would expect a train is far more comfortable.
  • I wanna ride through the Hoosac Tunnel!
It would be such a great thing for Greenfield to have direct rail to Boston. My dad's side of the family goes back to the late 1700s in the Greenfield area, and I love it there, but Greenfield needs the economic boost that a rail link to Boston would provide.

I'd like to see daily Boston to Greenfield trains instituted sooner. Greenfield is an economically depressed area, a lovely town but a lot of homeless people, and the trains would give it a much needed shot in the arm. Up until the 1970s, Greenfield had a lot of good paying jobs at mills and factories, but of course they are long gone.
That really isn’t much of a pitch for an infrastructure project. “Build here, there’s lots of homeless people.”

That really isn’t much of a pitch for an infrastructure project. “Build here, there’s lots of homeless people.”
Could say the same about any road to a Greenfield development (pun intended). The reason you build out useable infrastructure is to enhance the economy of the region and in this case that would be improving job access and alleviating poverty and homelessness. That and at the same time improving accessibility to Greenfield from other places which would attracted businesses to create more jobs in Greenfield, supporting the local population.

Questions:

1. Folks on this forum typically think South Coast Rail Phase 1 is too long and too infrequent for the "economic boost" to Fall River and New Bedford to be worth it, and it's often assumed that ridership will be low before Phase 2. Greenfield seems similar, with comparable travel times and likely worse frequencies. Is there anything that makes it different?

2. Is a "Fitchburg Express" necessary? It appears that if frequency can be added on the Fitchburg Line, it makes more sense to have them as short-turns at Waltham or 128, as the line's ridership and density seems more centered on the urban portion than other lines do. The demand of Fitchburg, the terminal, never stood out to me compared to other lines like Providence and Worcester.

Questions:

1. Folks on this forum typically think South Coast Rail Phase 1 is too long and too infrequent for the "economic boost" to Fall River and New Bedford to be worth it, and it's often assumed that ridership will be low before Phase 2. Greenfield seems similar, with comparable travel times and likely worse frequencies. Is there anything that makes it different?
Greenfield is very different than New Bedford and Fall River, and has very different potential. Greenfield is a lot smaller (about 1/18 the population of New Bedford), is a much nicer town in the sense that it's not a large ex-industrial town, and it's overall a prettier, more picturesque town, in my opinion. That matters because the "quant" New England town vibe is with Greenfield, and that could be an attractor for new residents and businesses with a rail connection, whereas Fall River and New Bedford lack that type of appeal. I lived in New Bedford for 4 years and it seemed like a dreary, kind of scary place. So, comparing Greenfield to New Bedford/Fall River is really apples and oranges.

(edited to fix a minor typo).

Last edited:
2. Is a "Fitchburg Express" necessary? It appears that if frequency can be added on the Fitchburg Line, it makes more sense to have them as short-turns at Waltham or 128, as the line's ridership and density seems more centered on the urban portion than other lines do. The demand of Fitchburg, the terminal, never stood out to me compared to other lines like Providence and Worcester.
Fitchburg is 6th on the line in boardings behind South Acton, Waltham, Concord, West Concord, and Littleton. With Littleton eclipsing it in the 2018 counts after it got its schedule increases from being the new short-turn terminus. If anything there's a crying need for frequency increases on the inner half of the line and frequency increases in general, rather than a super-express. I'm sure Fitchburg would do a bit better if there were slots with much shorter travel times, but agreed, it's not a Worcester in overall heft. More gets left on the table skipping the middle stops like the Concords, South Acton, and Littleton/495 than is gained by juicing up Fitchburg.

Having taken the Fitchburg line trains for a while, I think there is a reason why the ridership of the outer stations is higher on this line (except Waltham) - Once you are past Concord rotary, it might be much more convenient to just drive till Alewife. Rte 2, past Concord rotary, has few delays, esp after Crosbies Corner intersection was eliminated.
Even on the slower trains in, there are usually as many people boarding at Littleton and Acton as there are at the Concords, and Lincoln.

For the northern tier connectivity - wouldnt a timed bus service with connections at Fitchburg offer more flexibility and frequencies?

I think part of the difference is these are different kinds of trains services with different goals. New Bedford is commuter/regional rail, while Greenfield would be intercity rail (basically, Amtrak).

The point of commuter/regional rail is get people around the metro area day-to-day. That (hopefully) includes getting to work, running errands, seeing nearby friends and family, whatever. Because this is for everyday use, it has to not take much time. High frequency is really important for giving flexibility for when you can go, or how you can adapt if plans change. The kinds of economic boosts New Bedford might hope for from good regional rail connectivity could be: people move there so they can work in Boston; people set up new businesses there because it's well connected to the regional labor pool; people visit more for an afternoon or evening or specific events. So I think people are looking at those goals and saying SCR (especially Phase 1) is failing on speed and frequency, so New Bedford won't have good regional rail. And that means it won't cause the full economic boost the town might have hoped for. (I wouldn't agree that means SCR won't be worth it. But for sure the slow travel time and bad frequencies hurt its usefulness.)

By contrast, this study plans the train to Greenfield (and North Adams) as an intercity train. It's geared for people doing more sporadic but planned travel, and probably staying at some destination at least overnight. In that case, longer travel times aren't as big a deal because it's not an everyday thing. Low frequencies don't matter as much because for a trip you're doing some planning anyways. Trains can go mostly at off peak hours. And the expected economic benefits are different. I don't know Greenfield, but tourism is probably the top expectation. There are businesses that can work in a small rural town but benefit from occasional connections to the big city. More people could want to live there if they can easily do the occasional weekend trip to Boston. For these different goals, an intercity train to Greenfield could work just fine.

This isn't to say which city will actually reap more economic benefit. But New Bedford's "boost" probably won't live up to the higher expectations that come with regional rail. Greenfield's "boost" might meet the lower expectations that come with this kind of intercity rail.

Greenfield is very different than New Bedford and Fall River, and has very different potential. Greenfield is a lot smaller (about 1/18 the population of New Bedford), is a much nicer town in the sense that it's not a large ex-industrial town, and it's overall a prettier, more picturesque town, in my opinion. That matters because the "quant" New England town vibe is with Greenfield, and that could be an attractor for new residents and businesses with a rail connection, whereas Fall River and New Bedford lack that type of appeal. I lived in New Bedford for 4 years and it seemed like a dreary, kind of scary place. So, comparing Greenfield to New Bedford/Fall River is really apples and oranges.

(edited to fix a minor typo).
I think New Bedford is a quaint New England town with a decent bit to offer aside from being home to nearly 200,000 people in the cities proper. A rich Portuguese heritage and a historic downtown. A key difference in extending rail to New Bedford and Fall River from Boston as opposed to Greenfield from Springfield is that these two cities become realistic destinations for the 1/3 of Boston households that do not own a car. Not only that but the low car ownership surrounding cities of Boston as well as simply the sheer number of people with money and time to spend in the Boston area over Springfield. There's also the consideration of UMass Dartmouth being a college student trip generator both ways. There's also the much more convenient Martha's Vineyard ferry connections compared to the 3 trips a week and seasonal-only Cape Flyer. The list goes on and on for reasons to go to admittedly New Bedford over Fall River. I know I personally have been waiting with baited breath for SCR to open so I can go to New Bedford since I don't own a car anymore. Though I'm just one person.
1000_F_454172226_vMGpGgbalnqfWbtWe3I2YTAPOs4rvjJy.jpg
I0000DBF.olUiGgA.jpg
New-Bedford-MA-Historic-District.jpg
feast-crowd.jpg

Back