MassMutual | 10 Fan Pier Blvd | Fan Pier Parcel E | Seaport

Combustible material caught fire on site today around 1pm.

Anyone hear anything about any damage to the project --

At this stage of the project there can't be much that can burn as most of what has been built so-far is concrete -- unless its a piece of equipment which overheated and caught fire
Otherwise:
Just speculating but the thick black smoke doesn't seem like wood burning
Seems more like a tarp or some sort of coated fabric
or possibly some drum of lubricant

Can confirm fire damage nothing more than a poly trash bin that was ingited by embers from nearby torch cutting. There is a void between the sheet piling around the hole and the existing garage. The embers found their way down through the void. Some smoke damage but its mostly on temporary components that will be removed as the project progresses. The general contractor conducted a safety briefing for all personnel this morning.

Garage was filled with thick black smoke for a few hours, but ultimately no damage, I don't believe.

IMG_5088.jpg

Adding a random photo to show how it normally appears for comparison. Different angle/location, but same garage.

IMG_4807.jpg

Garage was filled with thick black smoke for a few hours, but ultimately no damage, I don't believe.

View attachment 2680

Adding a random photo to show how it normally appears for comparison. Different angle/location, but same garage.

View attachment 2681
jl326 -- Hope that the smoke extraction system is not fully installed -- can't have a modern structure [especially underground] that fills with smoke from something smoldering in a trash barrel

Smoke Extraction -- is the kind of "FAIL" which has held up the Berlin Airport for nearly a decade

jl326 -- Hope that the smoke extraction system is not fully installed -- can't have a modern structure [especially underground] that fills with smoke from something smoldering in a trash barrel

Smoke Extraction -- is the kind of "FAIL" which has held up the Berlin Airport for nearly a decade

I don't have the perfect information, but the ventilation/extraction system was not turned on right away (whether that was actually by design or indicates a system issue, I'm not sure), but when they were finally turned on, it was quite effective at clearing the smoke from the 2 of 3 garage floors that were affected. I still find it hard to believe (though not disagreeing) that such an incredible volume of smoke originated from one ignited trash bin though.

I don't have the perfect information, but the ventilation/extraction system was not turned on right away (whether that was actually by design or indicates a system issue, I'm not sure), but when they were finally turned on, it was quite effective at clearing the smoke from the 2 of 3 garage floors that were affected. I still find it hard to believe (though not disagreeing) that such an incredible volume of smoke originated from one ignited trash bin though.
JL -- I guess it depends on what was burning -- somethings which you might have in a trash bin are really good at producing smoke because they typically don't burn completely without extra air being supplied

Love the lit up crane. Seriously, though, nothing will top that spectacular blue crane that, at night, lit up the top of the under-construction Four Seasons Hotel. Beeline posted this back in 11/17.

1580486244102.png

Last edited:

Back