MassMutual | 10 Fan Pier Blvd | Fan Pier Parcel E | Seaport

Why don't get get more of the amber/bronze? I just saw the sampler in person and the silver also looks darker - more like a light charcoal.

I think you're right. It doesn't come out prominently in photos, but in person, the silver is definitely darker than the very typical silver alucobond panel. It'll likely be more noticeable once it gets built up.

The faceting is going to look very good imo. I also like that theyre finally not using the entire square plot, and so now the height vs width proportions will be much better too.

This will be a fine little tower. Proportions are ok, curves look good, and the faceted columns add some depth and rhythm.
It's a somewhat boring infill building that also happens to add 300ksf of office space to the core. Not the most exciting type of project, but one that's valuable for the city

IMG_3072.jpeg
IMG_3073.jpeg

Great pictures, thank you! The Seaport is looking great, but that angle especially is gold.

IMG_4222.JPG

I'm really unsure what they're doing in the back corner. They poured a thin slab of concrete yesterday, right on top of the mud, and today they put together these wooden frames.
Also, it's clear that nobody on this project has read Mike Mulligan And His Steam Shovel.

Maybe the emergency generators? My pet theory is that after they take out the sheet pile walls they'll drive the excavators out through the Fan Pier parking garage. Probably won't fit through the gates though.

When I walked by the site [a week ago] I caught some "brass hats" talking to the construction crew -- I asked when there would be a Crane Sighting -- I was told could be by Christmas!!

From a few days ago. They haven't driven any piles, but I can't imagine they're building the entire thing on top of this slab they're laying down.
Also one of the excavators managed to get out and I have no idea how. Pretty sure that little crane couldn't lift it.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_958.jpg

Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere before, but this Mass Mutual foundation excavation is massive, yet none of those huge iron pipes bracing up the sides (guessing that's what their used for) being used in the Amazon building are being used here. I would have thought the deeper the foundation that the bracing up by those pipes was necessary but I guess not. What exactly are those massive pipes used for (bracing?) and why at Amazon (shown in the pic) but not Mass Mutual??

Last edited:
I think 3 of the 4 sides have underground parking abutting them, leading to low pressures on those three sides. Doesn't explain the harbor side though, or why some sort of pad foundation looks to be going in...?

Back