MassMutual | 10 Fan Pier Blvd | Fan Pier Parcel E | Seaport

The excavation is surrounded by a parking garage on three sides, yes. The sheet pile walls were driven at the time the rest of Fan Pier was built out, and you can see the other side inside the garage (or you could until they blocked the area off for construction). On the harbor side you can see where they installed tiebacks to stabilize the wall, and on the other side you can see the remains of the tiebacks (sticking into the hole) that stabilized it on that side before they dug them out. Am kind of surprised that it's just tiebacks holding the harbor side wall up.
The other excavator was gone this morning. Still have no idea how they got them out of there.

Did they ever put any piles in here? They're just building this on a slab?

Did they ever put any piles in here? They're just building this on a slab?
20 stories... no piles, no caissons... just wild right next to the Harbor. They really are gonna float this thing on a mat slab.

20 stories... no piles, no caissons... just wild right next to the Harbor. They really are gonna float this thing on a mat slab.
Are we sure they didn't drive piles here during site prep for the buildings on either side? I don't recall, but this is all one developer, right?

Are we sure they didn't drive piles here during site prep for the buildings on either side? I don't recall, but this is all one developer, right?

I've looked back in this thread and it looks like nothing was done prior, and Beeline mentioned not much was done either.. Still find it hard to believe.

If I remember correctly the answer would be none. The bath tube for 50 Liberty extended under the road to the south up to the edge of the MM parcel.

Is a 2800yd mat slab that much cheaper than banging some piles? This is on fill (god knows what), on mud flats, close to the harbor, and right next to a seawall...yikes.

I asked in another Fan Pier project years ago, do theses basements areas have extra robust sump systems. The engineers have to know that this will all fill up with water a few times during bad storms.

I asked in a Facebook comment and a S&F guy verified there were no caissons placed. This is just a mat slab.

I asked in another Fan Pier project years ago, do theses basements areas have extra robust sump systems. The engineers have to know that this will all fill up with water a few times during bad storms.
Yes, there are subgrade pumping systems for the parking garage in all these buildings.

Last edited:
Is a 2800yd mat slab that much cheaper than banging some piles? This is on fill (god knows what), on mud flats, close to the harbor, and right next to a seawall...yikes.
It looked like they dug down past the fill (and old pilings, big stone blocks, random crap) to the original subsoil. And they certainly drilled a lot of core samples before starting the excavation, so I assume they know it'll stay up. That said, they poured a skim coat of thin concrete right on top of the mud (in the rain, no less) and poured the mat slab straight on top of that, no plastic sheeting or anything, which kind of surprised me. This morning they're setting up the forms for the central core.
Asked a worker about the excavators this morning, turns out they lifted them out with the crane. And they're putting them back in next week to dig out for the rest of the slab.

Last edited:
I believe the technical term for the skim coat is a “mud mat” and it is just to provide a stable surface for the slab work.

With so much going in the area its easy to forget about this, but one very important factor is that once this building is completed, Fan Pier is finally complete. I think the symbolism of that is huge, as this is where the new wave of development started. This is where the first spark was lit with Vertex that made people take notice that something big was happening

Also the contrast between where (Fan Pier) started, 1 Marina park drive, and where its ending, here, is huge too. It shows how much has changed in the years since this started. It started off trying to be safe and unsure of where it was headed, but its ending bold and as the cool kid in town haha.

After 1MPD was built it sat there alone for a few years lonely and out of place. Today fan pier is an iconic part of the city where literally everyone and their mom goes to take in the waterfront views and climb those steps. Its been a long journey, but the final hole is being filled in as a success.

With so much going in the area its easy to forget about this, but one very important factor is that once this building is completed, Fan Pier is finally complete. I think the symbolism of that is huge, as this is where the new wave of development started. This is where the first spark was lit with Vertex that made people take notice that something big was happening
Excelemt points however the Fan Pier Complex will not be totally completed until the Parcel H Residential/Hotel building rises on it's completed garage.
65Jvwcu by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

This foundation work is some of the strangest I've ever seen.

Back