MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

IMG_3978.jpg

Why even bother? Will this protect anyone from anything?

If your ass is small enough to be supported by that bench, your shoulders might be kept dry by it. Forget about your knees though.

IMG_3978.jpg

Why even bother? Will this protect anyone from anything?

it is incredible how the designers of transit stop structures seem to have zero understanding of how weather actually works.... they design for rain that falls perfectly straight down, perpendicular to the ground.

I got a feeling that designers aren't engineers but "artists." Designers need to go back to engineering roots, return to the mentality of serving needs rather than aesthetics.

it is incredible how the designers of transit stop structures seem to have zero understanding of how weather actually works.... they design for rain that falls perfectly straight down, perpendicular to the ground.

Oh please, this isn't a shelter. It's an advertising opportunity with a token gesture toward identifying the boarding area through a design element.

CEMUSA compete with JCDecaux (Wall Corp). JC has an exclusive contract the Boston and provides all bus shelters for the MBTA. Wonder how this happened.

I'm pretty sure this is not it, but my exact knowledge of the municipal boundaries in that area has always been a bit shady. But, there's no chance that stop actually falls within the city limits of Brookline? Since, if that's the case, then the shelters would be under Brookline's control and I know they have a contract with a company other than Wall/JC Decaux.

Just a thought since that is rather odd. Or, in typical T/Boston fashion, the signs have just been there for so long, they pre-date the contract with Wall/JC Decaux

As for the size of the bench, maybe the designers forgot they were in Boston and didn't realize you may need to sit your keister there for some time before a train comes.

I love how the T spends money on gadgets like an announcement system to tell you the train is approaching the station but can't offer useful information. For instance, I spend a significant amount of my time in Toronto and while I think the TTC may actually edge out the T for being a more stodgy, stuck-in-time organization (for example, they still use tokens with no immediate ? before 2015 ? plans to change on a system-wide basis), they at least have a system in most central stations that tells you in real-time when the next train will come. Granted, in Toronto this is never more than 6-7 minutes. But why can't the T adopt a similar system using a couple of LCD screens per platform and co-ordinate with NECN to provide headlines and weather on the screen and the ability to convey messages to passengers about service when necessary? Plus it could be a source of some advertising revenue so it would eventually pay for itself. Though I'd be perfectly OK with a DC system that simply tells you when the next train is coming and to where. However, I suspect they (the T) want to keep this a secret, lest we realize that, yes, we're actually waiting 10 minutes for a Red Line train to come and revolt against the shitty frequency of service.

That would be something technologically advanced that would actually benefit people, rather than an annoying, useless announcement to tell me the train I've been waiting for is now just seconds from arriving.

[end rant]

The station is indeed inside Boston's borders.

All of Comm. Ave. and its Green Line tracks are in Boston, but the buildings on the south side, from the BU bridge to Packard's Corner, are in Brookline.

But why can't the T adopt a similar system using a couple of LCD screens per platform and co-ordinate with NECN to provide headlines and weather on the screen and the ability to convey messages to passengers about service when necessary?

To my knowledge no system in the US has this, or even many of the larger systems in Europe (certainly not in Paris or London), but it's really big in the developing world to have constant TV feeds in stations (Egypt) and trains (China).

I think the overpopulation of public areas with TV has gone far enough, though. I spent part of Christmas in the ER (don't ask) and the room was festooned in flatscreens, as were the hallways and examining rooms. And now even the individual pumps at Mass Pike rest stations have TVs tuned to the "gas station network". And with JetBlue's introduction of TV for every passenger, there seems to be practically nowhere left in the world where the only entertainment is to read.

Actually, when I came across the "gas station network" I was thinking of telescreens. TVs that show preprogrammed material impose rather than offer choice to consumers.

As Wall-E demonstrates, though, consumer "choice" is just another form of dystopia. Of course we look at the above image in horror, but there's some inbuilt cultural bias in that - because who doesn't at the same time love getting YouTube videos on their smart phone, or spend half the day in front of a computer screen not necessarily doing anything productive/interactive?

Sorry for the philosophical turn. < / offtopic rant >

It was asked a couple months ago whether the new Kenmore Carcass was effective at protecting from the elements...I took a few photos and spent a bit of time observing during today's wind/snow, and here's what I noticed:

The wind under the shelter wasn't as bad as I had expected, not as much of a wind tunnel as I would have thought. Then again, at the particular time I was there, the overall wind in the square had momentarily died down substantially.

The snow, however, tells a different story. The shelter appeared to have been tremendously ineffective at keeping the snow out; the granite benches (which get cold easily and are thus uncomfortable to sit on anyway) were covered with snow, so there was no place to sit. Furthermore, the snow was windswept all the way up underneath to cover the metal framework...on the inside, under the glass!

Again, the wind wasn't too bad, and it wasn't overly uncomfortable, but it was clear the shelter wasn't providing...well, shelter. I'd be curious to hear any other experiences people might have had here.

Here are some (admittedly crappy phone-) photos I took:

set-72157623126827588

set-72157623126827588

set-72157623126827588

WTF, this is coming to commuter rail first!? They run on schedules!

MBTA says real-time train info to arrive on some South Shore lines tomorrow
By adamg - 1/6/10 - 5:57 pm

The T said today that riders on the Greenbush, Kingston/Plymouth and Middleboro/Lakeville Lines will see real-time arrival info on those platform sign boards tomorrow.

"Displayed in a countdown format on easy-to-read electronic message boards, the information will provide minute-accurate train arrival times to customers waiting for their trains," the T says. The Worcester/Framingham and Lowell lines will get the updates next week, the T says, adding plans are to have all 13 commuter-rail lines operating by February.

The MBTA is also promising special AM broadcasts at stations with the same information, so commuters can stay in their cars until the train is near. The Anderson stop in Woburn will be the first to get the new AM frequency, followed over several weeks by other stations with at least 50 parking spaces.

Meanwhile, the T says that by the end of this summer, it expects to equip all of its 410 coaches with WiFi, making it the first commuter-rail system in the country with full-train wireless.

Meanwhile, the MBTA also said it will begin looking for a new contract for somebody to operate its commuter-rail lines starting in 2013, after granting current operator MBCR a two-year extension.

http://www.universalhub.com/2010/mbta_says_real_time_train_info_arrive_some_south_s

WTF, this is coming to commuter rail first!? They run on schedules!

Since when?!? Next you'll be telling us the 66 bus runs on a schedule.

You know what I mean. This info isn't as vitally important for buses or trains that run on relatively far-apart headways as subways whose schedules people rarely reference because they're so frequent.

You know what I mean. This info isn't as vitally important for buses or trains that run on relatively far-apart headways as subways whose schedules people rarely reference because they're so frequent.

You're right, but my guess is that implementation is somehow simpler for the Commuter Rail (maybe because of low frequency), making it easier to test out the software there as opposed to on the subway. The technology will make it there... someday. Sigh.

I didn't read about the new technology, but perhaps it is GPS based, which probably wouldn't work in the tunnels.

The MBTA knows where every train is on their tracks at all times (subways at least). The amazing thing is they haven't figured out how to build a feed to stations to tell passengers this information. At least they have train announcements.

There are displays at several Blue Line stations showing where all trians are (GC, Airport, Orient Heights, and a big easy to read one at Maverick).

Back