MFA Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite like it. It's not cutting edge or daring or even particularly interesting, but it is elegant and understated, and it doesn't look cheap.

I barely notice the new addition is there, which is a good thing. Just keep it simple and let the focus stay on the original building and the decapitated baby head.

I barely notice the new addition is there, which is a good thing. Just keep it simple and let the focus stay on the original building and the decapitated baby head.

You havent experienced Boston until youve had a picture with the babies!

drive-by
271.jpg

Thanks Boston 02124, interesting angle, I like it as it shows there is space to exhibit outdoor sculpture. I very much like the new addition. Granted it is not ground-breaking, but it impresses me as architecture which, as we know, is meant to protect its valuable collections. I think it succeeds. Bank vault-like, but not forbidding. The central glass atrium section is progressing quite well and I found it to be stunning in its simplicity, and very elegant. As a member of the MFA I am looking forward to the opening of this new wing.

Thanks Boston 02124, interesting angle, I like it as it shows there is space to exhibit outdoor sculpture. I very much like the new addition. Granted it is not ground-breaking, but it impresses me as architecture which, as we know, is meant to protect its valuable collections. I think it succeeds. Bank vault-like, but not forbidding. The central glass atrium section is progressing quite well and I found it to be stunning in its simplicity, and very elegant. As a member of the MFA I am looking forward to the opening of this new wing.

Exactly.

They turned on the exterior lighting tonight for the first time...I hope this is a trial run just to see how high they can crank up the wattage in case the MFA has to guide radarless airplanes through the fog. Really awful. The rest of the museum is so beautifully and subtly uplit--this looks like Fenway Park Part Deux.

I actually like the wing (and like it more the more I see it)...I just think the lighting is really inappropriate and harsh. Seriously, maybe this is just a testing phase; I can't believe that's something they paid a lighting designer to come up with. Very parking-lot-esque.

I don't really see why there is any hate for this (unless it is just hate of all things modern). The addition is nicely scaled and is way more contextual than the I.M. Pei addition. If anything it is too tame. But it's not like this side of the building is particularly important. The best part of the addition is reopening up the Fenway entrance. And of course we should save criticism until it is open.

Is the stone going to fade to the same color as the old facade?

The MFA is afflicted with a full blown case of chronic Polyglotitis.

The new Shapiro courtyard in the American Wing:
0813001746.jpg

0813001747.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back