Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

So when is Legal going to open? We're well past November.

A restaurant chain as staggeringly rich as Legals is the last one we need to worry about regarding a delayed opening.

As appalling as it is to contemplate the bureacratic red tape that retards restaurant development in Boston, by definition, Legals has the most resources--attorneys, engineers, consultants, what name you--to distentagle and expedite the process. So why sweat it?

It's the proverbial "little guys"--start-up/mom-and-pop operators--who we really have to worry about when it comes to fostering an environment in which they can actually succeed in opening a restaurant.

A restaurant chain as staggeringly rich as Legals is the last one we need to worry about regarding a delayed opening.

As appalling as it is to contemplate the bureacratic red tape that retards restaurant development in Boston, by definition, Legals has the most resources--attorneys, engineers, consultants, what name you--to distentagle and expedite the process. So why sweat it?

It's the proverbial "little guys"--start-up/mom-and-pop operators--who we really have to worry about when it comes to fostering an environment in which they can actually succeed in opening a restaurant.

Not to worry. They've been building out the interior for the past few weeks and there is a hiring sign and Web site info by the restaurant entrance on the corner of Washington and Lafayette.

Wowzers!

Has 45 Province done that yet? Similar location, nother good looking building. Didn't have the same marketing crew, or did they sell out after the market picked back up?

I'm happy to see such a well designed building sell out so quickly.

Hopefully it'll encourage developers and architects to break from the usual, tired motifs.

Not sure how this went under the radar, but I was nosing through the building permits for downtown today and found an alteration permit issued for MPIII for the build out of a "coffee house." After some sleuthing, I discovered that this company has signed a lease to locate in the ground floor of MPIII in the middle retail space, fronting Washington Street.

Apparently it's a pretty successful British outlet and this will be their first US store.

http://www.caffenero.com/default.aspx

I also found something on PR Newswire announcing this in November, so it looks like this will be opening sometime in the spring.

Last edited:
Cafe Nero is wildly popular in London. It's practically on every other corner in central London. That's great news!

Cafe Nero was either mentioned a few pages back or on the New Retail thread. But exciting news, nonetheless.

Wow, Caffe Nero in Boston. It is more or less the UK version of Starbucks. Caffe Nero and Costa Coffee. I am sure people will still line up out there like they did when Wagamama opened, but it isn't really anything special.

LX...all I can think of is a '90s Ford Taurus, preferably in emerald green.

maybe it's just winter or not quite complete, but the entrance doesn't look all that inviting. especially that concrete column.

maybe it's just winter or not quite complete, but the entrance doesn't look all that inviting. especially that concrete column.

Agreed.

Repeat after me architects, developers and urban planners: WINDOW, WINDOWS, WINDOWS. Brick walls do not invite.

Both Legal Crossing and Caffe Nero will have outdoor tables/sidewalk seating when they open. Let's see what that looks like and if it helps compensate for these other issues...

yeah give it some time. They recently installed the "LX Legal Crossing" signs and I also peeked in and saw that it's still under construction.

I'm pretty tired of endless walls of glass. This building offers up some nice textures and is a nice break from what we've been getting recently.

If you want floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall windows, go to the Seaport. Let me know how warm and welcoming that is.

It's a prominent corner. It should be more, I dunno, prominent.

This looks like the back entrance to a suburban office building.

Back