Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

and somewhere in all of that history, Filene's Basement was corporately separated from Filene's. Was that in 1988 when all the Allied-Federated-May transactions occurred?

I recall a few standalone branch Filene's Basement stores already existed by that time, but the big (and probably ill-advised) expansion happened afterwards.

According to employees there, the last day of business for the Boylston Street Filene's Basement will be next Thursday, December 29. They expect one more round of markdowns before closing.

The Watertown store is already closed; their last day of business was yesterday, they told me when I phoned them.

I haven't checked on other stores, since these are the only two within biking distance of me.

New developer to take control of former Filene’s site

By Casey Ross, Globe staff

Developer Millennium Partners will take control of the long-idle Filene’s property in Downtown Crossing and build a tower on the site with retail stores, office space and hundreds of residences, city officials said tonight.

The firm, which developed the nearby Ritz Carlton Hotel and Towers, will team up in the redevelopment with the property’s existing owner, Vornado Realty Trust of New York, which has come under fire from Boston Mayor Thomas Menino since it stopped construction on the site more than three years ago, leaving a big hole in the center of the city’s shopping district.

City officials emphasized Millennium Partners will lead the project, with Vornado taking a more passive role in the property’s development. They said Millennium will file a revised development plan within 60 days and that they hope to see construction resume on the property within a year.

http://www.boston.com/Boston/busine...filene-site/g39JpqqKGaeKf2z0DIyVsJ/index.html

I always pictured this eventual announcement including fireworks
and a marching band.

Anyway, be on the lookout for scale cake models because we may be getting vertexed on this one.

What do you think move the issue - was it Sufolk Downs?

all this location needs is something classy and energetic at the street level...unless they are going to build a 500footer; I can't think of too many good vantage points for a short tower

This is very exciting news. In less than a year we could have both this project and the Copley Place tower underway.
banana0tq.gif

Good news. I'd like to see something like their old, rejected Boylston Sq. design for this site.

I came....here and saw this incredible news. So happy to hear this.

I came in here to witness what a archboston circle jerk looked like...I'm not disappointed. ;)

Still...I'll believe it when I see shovels, cranes and workers getting to work.

First thing I thought of when I saw this on Twitter was how they're also building Hayward Place right now. But it's not mentioned anywhere at all, not even in these news pieces.

They might as well rename themselves Downtown Crossing Partners soon.

This is very exciting news. In less than a year we could have both this project and the Copley Place tower underway.
banana0tq.gif

First thing I thought of, too. Hopefully this will be tall enough to make an impact on the skyline.

There goes my idea of branding this as a 24-7 college neighborhood with more dorms and nightlife. Looks as if it will quickly move more residential. The sales team at 45 Province will be pleased to hear this news; no doubt they'll still be selling off their remaining units when Millennium gets done ...

Now, how about that One Bromfield??

People familiar with the situation say Millennium still intends to build a mix of stores, offices and residences at the site, but envisions a thinner, taller building than the roughly 500-foot tower Vornado had planned.

For those unfamiliar with Millennium's failed Boylston Square proposal from a while back:

boylston_square_north.jpg

boylston_square_west.jpg

boylston_square_east.jpg

boylston_square_aerial.jpg

boylston_square_from_copley.jpg

Let's be vigilant on the streetscape design / interaction at these public meetings. This approval process sounds like it is going to be Son of Liberty Mutual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back