Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
While we are off-topic on this topic, what happened to that guy who used to ride a 3-wheel bicycle on the sidewalk, yelling, "huuup....huuup....huuup"?

Someone needs to put together a legit collection of bostonian scalies and toss it on 3dwarehouse. Id love to see dj nitetrain, spare change guy, willie (with this trike) and the late, great mr butch in more renderings.

^ Davem mentioned him...that's Willie with his trike and he's definitely still prowling the streets.

Oh and wonderful development seeing this glass go up so soon.

Thanks, Data, appreciate the pic updates of this project!! I'm looking forward to liking me some glass curtain walls!

OK, just to keep this derail moving a bit more, what happened to the lady outside the Park Street headhouse in her lawn chair "I need your generousiTAY"? "I need your food money toDAY"

OK, just to keep this derail moving a bit more, what happened to the lady outside the Park Street headhouse in her lawn chair "I need your generousiTAY"? "I need your food money toDAY"

I used to bring her coffee a few days a week. I hope she is okay.

shes still there they had to forcibly move her during the Marathon bombings

Anyone have anything about the actual progress on the project -- I haven't seen the site in person since early November?

I know datadyne007 works next door. Shame on him for not taking photos daily of contractors moving dirt around.

;-)

All kidding aside, though, I walked by the site today and it appears they are continuing to excavate earth from the "Filene's Hole". It also appears they're doing interior work on all levels of the Burnham Building, which looks like an organized mess. Lastly, I saw this giant yellow, black, and silver device spinning around near the Downtown Crossing "T" head house, but I couldn't tell if was a pile-driver or an excavator (or something else).

That's all I got.

I know datadyne007 works next door. Shame on him for not taking photos daily of contractors moving dirt around.

;-)

All kidding aside, though, I walked by the site today and it appears they are continuing to excavate earth from the "Filene's Hole". It also appears they're doing interior work on all levels of the Burnham Building, which looks like an organized mess. Lastly, I saw this giant yellow, black, and silver device spinning around near the Downtown Crossing "T" head house, but I couldn't tell if was a pile-driver or an excavator (or something else).

That's all I got.

We went over this a few pages back. There are no piles at all. Right now soil-mixing and drilling caissons is what is occurring

Ok, so how about a little fund raising here. We chip in, get Data a webcam to aim at the site, and host a site to broadcast it from. All questions of progress get an immediate redirect.

Hopefully someone has one somewhere to make a nice fast motion of this bad boy.

Went by this morning. Lots of work around the new building elevator core in the Burnham. There wasn't one before and it has to be added. Lots of framing on the open side as they prepare to add the glass wall that will face the tower. More caisson installation and excavation in progress.

the Filene's building certainly had elevators. Are they being relocated?

the Filene's building certainly had elevators. Are they being relocated?

There was only one or two and they were on the periphery of the building. I suspect that to meet current code you would need a larger elevator bank plus a concrete core of stairs with positive air pressure for evacuation.

I thought I remembered there being at least four, but it's been a while.

I thought I remembered there being at least four, but it's been a while.

There probably were, but with the extent of the renovation they are required to bring everything up to code. Even if not - a modern core is far easier to service and work with then a bunch of disjointed shafts.

From my vantage point (and with my untrained eye) the excavation work looks to be about 65-75% complete.

Here are some photos I took over the course of several days from the 9th floor of the garage my office is cantilevered over. The last three were taken an hour ago:

Day 1
CSaQIqC.jpg

wwtcuF9.jpg

VlPiaj9.jpg

Day 2
iLDJXij.jpg

MmaQ8rj.jpg

Day 3
DxZBVWt.jpg

NvzibBe.jpg

YRn2rN6.jpg

Also, egg on my face about 'flesh curb'...I must've mis-heard the phrase when I first heard it and no one's ever corrected me...

[youtube]XnXKVY-_i2c[/youtube]

There was only one or two and they were on the periphery of the building. I suspect that to meet current code you would need a larger elevator bank plus a concrete core of stairs with positive air pressure for evacuation.

Semass -- there were at least 4 passenger elevators as I recall

They were all located in row on the periphery of the building

It's also possible that there was a separate elevator for freight

I suspect that the passenger elevator shafts might have been covered over

Here are some photos I took over the course of several days from the 9th floor of the garage my office is cantilevered over. The last three were taken an hour ago:

Day 1

YRn2rN6.jpg

DigSci --- excellent vantage point for some great pictures

I presume from when I last looked at the massive pdf of the PNF filing that the 4 structures on the roof:

1) the new elevator house
2) the housing for a large emergency power unit
3) a skylight over the atrium
4) ?

Can anyone confirm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back