Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's shaping up to be a beautiful building. The original proposal was achingly dated and I'm glad it was shelved.

I never realized until walking around Back Bay earlier today that Newbury Street has a direct line-of-sight to this tower.

I never realized until walking around Back Bay earlier today that Newbury Street has a direct line-of-sight to this tower.

I noticed this too, except it's obviously in the opposite direction of traffic so unless you're stopped in the middle of the street you really don't see it.

Yay! The crane lift has made it visible from the South End/Roxbury line.

0RJnyWT.jpg

Roche is opening up on April 29, per tweets from various sources, including downtown BID.

Future plans call for an additional 10,000 square feet on the lower level for more grocery items and a wine and beer store, slated to open in late 2016.

If I am reading that right I would guess that the area of the basement under millennium tower is what they are talking about, which I wouldn't expect to be open now.

When completed & done, it should be able to easily trounce over every office tower in the downtown district! :cool:

This building is awesome already. Imagine when its done!
cheers.gif

I have a naive observation, I'm sure: this building strikes me as unusual in that the glass is going up before the tower is topped out. Is it because it is serving more of a structural purpose than in other buildings? Or is it a different construction process?

For example, compare with construction pictures of One Greenway--http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=1745&page=16

Or the (albeit much shorter) Goodwin Proctor building-- http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=4711&page=8

Why is Millennium installing glass in tandem with new floors?

I think it is probably partially to speed up the construction process because they could start interior work on the lower floors while building up. That's just a guess though and I might be totally wrong.

Also some of it might be a marketing tactic to help "show" how the tower will look as it is built so people know what they are getting if they live there.

I think part of the reason is that, by default, a poured concrete floor is already substantially further along than just a plain old steel frame. Also, there are plenty of buildings that have cladding going up while they are being built. Maybe the non-clad floors will pull further ahead now that Winter is over and this has sped up.

This is the main advantage of cast-in-place concrete construction. Once the slab & columns are poured, you can start everything else on that particular floor - cladding, MEP (notice that MEP has been roughed in since before the winter!), interior partitions, etc.

With steel, you have to submit shop drawings, order the steel months ahead of time, the steel goes up, then you have to lay the metal deck, then pour the slab, etc before you can do anything else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back