Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought that steel was faster getting up into the sky. Or so it would seem.

But THIS tower seems to be ROCKETING toward the sky! :cool:

This is the main advantage of cast-in-place concrete construction. Once the slab & columns are poured, you can start everything else on that particular floor - cladding, MEP (notice that MEP has been roughed in since before the winter!), interior partitions, finishes, etc.

Quick point/question on this. I know they can do the drywall framing & mechanical rough in, but I thought finishes couldn't start until the building is completely weather tight. To me that would mean the completion of the facade & roof system. If they are able to start before the building is completely weather tight, say floors 40 & above are still open, how do control the environment on the floors below for finish install? You might be able to control temperature to a certain degree & same for humidity, but how do you keep a mid summer thunderstorm from finding a path from the 40th floor to the 10th or 20th or wherever you might have finishes going. I know a lot of paints, veneers, & other materials have pretty specific guidelines for the environment they are stored in, and the environment they are installed in otherwise you void the warranty.

Just looking for a little means & methods input from someone w/ more experience.

This is the main advantage of cast-in-place concrete construction. Once the slab & columns are poured, you can start everything else on that particular floor - cladding, MEP (notice that MEP has been roughed in since before the winter!), interior partitions, finishes, etc.

With steel, you have to submit shop drawings, order the steel months ahead of time, the steel goes up, then you have to lay the metal deck, then pour the slab, then fireproof it all before you can do anything else.

All except the fireproofing.
That I often see go on well after.

Quick point/question on this. I know they can do the drywall framing & mechanical rough in, but I thought finishes couldn't start until the building is completely weather tight. To me that would mean the completion of the facade & roof system. If they are able to start before the building is completely weather tight, say floors 40 & above are still open, how do control the environment on the floors below for finish install? You might be able to control temperature to a certain degree & same for humidity, but how do you keep a mid summer thunderstorm from finding a path from the 40th floor to the 10th or 20th or wherever you might have finishes going. I know a lot of paints, veneers, & other materials have pretty specific guidelines for the environment they are stored in, and the environment they are installed in otherwise you void the warranty.

Just looking for a little means & methods input from someone w/ more experience.
I mistakenly included finishes & fireproofing. Finishes really can't be done until the building is sealed for the reasons you mentioned. Fireproofing tends to come after too, because of the pipe hangers and such. My apologies for the misinformation.

Has this broken the 300 foot plateau yet? If so, it joins the AvalonBay tower as the two buildings in the current boom that have broken that plateau (Kensington, Radian, Liberty Mutual are just below 300).

They join Atlantic Wharf as the three 300+ footers completed since 2009.

Has this broken the 300 foot plateau yet? If so, it joins the AvalonBay tower as the two buildings in the current boom that have broken that plateau (Kensington, Radian, Liberty Mutual are just below 300).

They join Atlantic Wharf as the three 300+ footers completed since 2009.

It needs to pass 101 Arch (clock building next door, 276') by at least 2 floors. I don't believe it has done so yet, but haven't seen in it person since Sunday, when it was approximately 260'. Maybe it will pass 300' by the end of next week if the break-neck speed continues.

Felt compelled to Instagram this beauty yesterday on my lunch break.

MxSdtuq.jpg

^^^ Wow that's 2 more floors of cladding in less than a week!!!

This should be a good weekend for the photophiles to get out and capture some photons

Specifically -- it should provide some good opportunities for some shots of MT with Marathon themes / sights

Just saw this from a bunch of different areas. Trying to wrap my head around it. It's grown 2 floors in the last week. Unreal.

Just saw this from a bunch of different areas. Trying to wrap my head around it. It's grown 2 floors in the last week. Unreal.

I was driving and turned down Somerville Ave from Porter Square, and the view of this was quite stunning. It took me a few moments to realize what I was looking at, it was weird to see it so prominent that far from downtown. I would imagine this is now becoming very visible from other far flung areas of the city.

DZH -- Spectacular Pix

In those pix from Cambridge it looks*1 as though the top of the Boom of the most Uber Crane in Boston is about where the roof line will be when the MT tops out

*1 effect might be enhanced by the angle and relative distances though not by much

It's amazing that 100 Federal is so hulking that it will still bracket Millennium Tower from that Cambridge view.

It's amazing that 100 Federal is so hulking that it will still bracket Millennium Tower from that Cambridge view.

Busses -- be careful the use of Hulking in the case of a pregnant building like 100 Federal could be considered a "Dog Whistle" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back