Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glass is soaring -- we've another Hancock-like photo-phile venue in the works

I can't believe how unbelievably fantastic this thing is turning out. "World class" gets thrown around, but this truly is.

I can't believe how unbelievably fantastic this thing is turning out. "World class" gets thrown around, but this truly is.

This is sarcasm right?

There's no doubt the building is turning out fantastic. The glass is of high quality and it's complexity at the base is intriguing but I can't say this building is world class. I do believe it will become a staple of Boston when the world views us because of it's differences in surrounding buildings, height and what it will help do for an entire neighborhood.

Unfortunately/fortunately buildings like M tower are being built all over the world and at this very moment some of our largest American cities that were once afraid of the shadows will have a similar boom in M Tower like structures.

It seems like there is some disagreement about the quality of the glass.

What are you guys using as metrics? I honestly can't tell the difference in glass from one building to the next (Except for color of course).

New pic from Saturday - breaking the visual plane!

MtI8Dsv.jpg

It seems like there is some disagreement about the quality of the glass.

What are you guys using as metrics? I honestly can't tell the difference in glass from one building to the next (Except for color of course).

Tbqh, I'd say a lot of people accusing glass on certain buildings of being "cheap" or "low quality" simply don't know what they are talking about.

The glass on MT is just wicked dirty right now. It weathered a wild winter and simply hasn't been cleaned. Once it's all cleaned, shined and maintained this way on a regular basis, it will look great.

I have to wonder if the folks complaining about the quality of the glass at this point have seen up close and personal how filthy the glass is BOTH inside and out. I was shocked when I was standing across the street. There is a thick layer of filth on this glass and it's pretty silly to judge its quality at this point but it is AB after all so we should judge away I suppose....

I actually like this glass better than JHT 👀

I have to wonder if the folks complaining about the quality of the glass at this point have seen up close and personal how filthy the glass is BOTH inside and out. I was shocked when I was standing across the street. There is a thick layer of filth on this glass and it's pretty silly to judge its quality at this point but it is AB after all so we should judge away I suppose....

BosDev -- Obviously the people hereabouts who are making comments about the final color of the glass based on how it looks as it currently being installed have never done any construction of any scale themselves

There's a remarkable amount debris that needs to be cleaned-up even with just putting in a new overhead light fixture, adding a duplex outlet to a wall, replacing a window or building a small deck, etc., let alone building One Million Square feet from the ground-up -- and that applies especially with a building that is all concrete structurally

That said --- There is a major dramatic impact of that much glass with essentially no interruptions from the street to the top of the Financial District plateau

Went to Roche Bros today. It's nice, but all the pictures of Filene's Basement feel like salt in the wounds.

Went to Roche Bros today. It's nice, but all the pictures of Filene's Basement feel like salt in the wounds.

Stat -- want a bit more salt -- There are people graduating this season who have never set foot inside any Filene's Basement let alone the original Filene's

Stat -- want a bit more salt -- There are people graduating this season who have never set foot inside any Filene's Basement let alone the original Filene's

That's been true about every graduation season ever.

Salt you can now conveniently buy right there!

I think it would be worse if they didn't honor their location's past. I give Roche credit for making a concerted effort to pay homage. We all loved Filene's & Filene's Basement, but it's time for us to move on now. Filene's revolutionary Basement was a catalyst for the DTX of the past and now Roche will be a catalyst for the DTX of today, as the area gets filled in with residential buildings and residents that need to purchase groceries. I think it's a suiting replacement.

Salt you can now conveniently buy right there!

I think it would be worse if they didn't honor their location's past. I give Roche credit for making a concerted effort to pay homage. We all loved Filene's & Filene's Basement, but it's time for us to move on now. Filene's revolutionary Basement was a catalyst for the DTX of the past and now Roche will be a catalyst for the DTX of today, as the area gets filled in with residential buildings and residents that need to purchase groceries. I think it's a suiting replacement.

Data -- so true

But -- we as individuals can do more than pine for the past -- We can still bring back Jordan's Blueberry Muffins -- one tray at a time -- and now is the time as blueberries are coming into season

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/lk2p15t8/jordan-marsh-blueberry-muffins.html

JORDAN MARSH BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1/2 cup butter
2 cups unsifted flour
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups large fresh blueberries
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons sugar (for top of muffins)
Preheat oven to 375°F.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.

In a second bowl, combine all dry ingredients. (You can use an electric mixer to combine the dry ingredients thoroughly at this point so that you won't need to overmix once the wet and dry ingredients are combined.

Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed butter and sugar mixture along with the milk and vanilla.

Optionally, mash 1/2 cup of the blueberries, and stir in by hand (this will turn batter a light shade of blue and add a touch of blueberry flavor, but this step may be skipped, if you wish). Add the remaining whole berries and stir in gently by hand.

Spray a 12 muffin baking pan with Baker's Joy (or other non-stick spray). Fill greased muffin cups.

Sprinkle sugar on top of unbaked muffins (we like to use Turbinado sugar for sprinkling the tops).

Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan. Run a knife around the edge of each muffin after several minutes to free it from the pan and cool on wire racks. Muffins may be brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with sugar, if desired.

At our test kitchen, we sometimes sprinkle blueberry muffin tops with cinnamon sugar or ground hazelnuts or spread with lemon or vanilla icing and top with thinly sliced almonds.

Tip: If you have trouble with blueberries settling to the bottom try tossing them in flour before adding to the batter. It may just be that your batter is too thin. Another trick is to fill muffin cups 1/4 full with batter which hasn't had blueberries added to it yet; then stir the blueberries in and continue to fill the muffin cups. This way you won't start out with blueberries at the bottom!

Variation: Substitute 3/4 cup rehydrated Craisins for the same amount of blueberries. To rehydrate Craisins, soak for 15 minutes in rum or warm water.

Submitted by: CM

IMG_0637-200.jpg

I think the crane is about to do another jump. I noticed no fewer than five sections on the ground while going up the escalator at TJMaxx about an hour ago.

That should put its top über alles the downtown skyline when its fully extended and pointing up up and away

What are the actual specs for this building? I keep reading 625', but is that to the top floor or structural top? There's a wiki that cites to the MP website that says 685'! Went to the site and there it is..."...at 685 feet will be the tallest residential tower in downtown Boston". Can MP really have the wrong info on their own website? Am I looking at an archived version or something? That's a pretty significant difference!
http://millenniumtowerboston.com/#!/millennium-tower

What are the actual specs for this building? I keep reading 625', but is that to the top floor or structural top? There's a wiki that cites to the MP website that says 685'! Went to the site and there it is..."...at 685 feet will be the tallest residential tower in downtown Boston". Can MP really have the wrong info on their own website? Am I looking at an archived version or something? That's a pretty significant difference!
http://millenniumtowerboston.com/#!/millennium-tower

I'm not digging through the thread, but the info is here somewhere. '625 is to the top floor, and '685 is to the structural top (mechanicals).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back